A Devastating Wish (謎のＤＢ出現！！悟空が子供に！？ Nazo no Doragon Boru Shutsugen!! Gokuu ga Kodomo ni!?, lit. "Mysterious Dragon Balls Appear!! Goku Becomes a Child!?") is the first episode of the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga and the first overall episode of Dragon Ball GT. The episode first aired on February 7, 1996. Its original American air date was February 5, 2005.
Five years after Goku and Uub leave the World Martial Arts Tournament to train, Uub has an all out battle with Goku within the depths of the palace on The Lookout which causes it to crack and crumble under their power. Upon finishing their battle the two pass out from exhaustion.
Meanwhile after decades of persistence, Emperor Pilaf along with his two henchmen Mai and Shu arrive at the The Lookout in order to obtain the Black Star Dragon Balls. Finding them, Pilaf explains that these balls are different from the ordinary Dragon Balls and more powerful.
With Dende having healed their injuries. Uub thanks Goku for all the years he dedicated to training him and heads back home to his family. After having a hearty meal, Goku also decided to head home but just then Pilaf summons Ultimate Shenron and Goku reunites with the Pilaf Gang when going to see the source of the disturbance.
After a brief confrontation Pilaf accidentally wishes for Goku to be a little kid again so he could teach him a lesson and Ultimate Shenron acknowledges him, turning Goku back into a child. With the wish granted, Ultimate Shenron leaves and the Black Star Dragon Balls scatter.
After Dende contacts King Kai telepathically, he tells Goku that the only way to return to normal is to have another wish granted but Mr. Popo explains that when the Black Star Dragon Balls scatter they head across the entire universe instead to which Goku says that he'll just stay like it until he grows up.
The criminals begin to cause havoc and an annoyed Pan intervenes but shortly afterward Goku arrives and attempts to take them on himself which causes Pan to pull him aside and tell him not to get involved, not realizing that it is actually her grandfather. Pan takes out all the criminals easily with her strength scaring off her date.
Suddenly, Master Roshi arrives on the scene and greets Pan before expressing surprise at the now child version of Goku.
Goku returns to his home where Chi-Chi cries at seeing Goku as a child and Gohan questions what Goku will do next. King Kai contacts them all once again and tells them that if the Black Star Dragon Balls are not found and returned to Earth within the year, the planet will explode due to the negative energy they give off leaving everyone uncertain as what to do next.
- Uub finishes his training with Goku and heads back home.
- Goku is turned into a child by Ultimate Shenron.
- King Kai explains that the Black Star Dragon Balls must be gathered or the planet will explode in one year.
- Goku vs. Uub
- Goku and Pan vs. Criminals
|Character Name||Original Japanese||Blue Water||Funimation|
|Goku||Masako Nozawa||Jeremiah Yurk (Adult)|
Zoe Slusar (Kid)
|Sean Schemmel (Adult)|
Stephanie Nadolny (Kid)
|Gohan||Masako Nozawa||Scott Roberts||Kyle Hebert|
|Pan||Yūko Minaguchi||Caitlynne Medrek||Elise Baughman|
|Chi-Chi||Naoko Watanabe||Debbie Munro||Cynthia Cranz|
|Mr. Popo||Toku Nishio||Dave Pettitt||Christopher Sabat|
|Dende||Hiro Yūki||Jeffrey Watson||Justin Cook|
|King Kai||Joji Yanami||Dean Galloway||Sean Schemmel|
|Master Roshi||Hiroshi Masuoka||Dean Galloway||Mike McFarland|
|Uub||Atsushi Kisaichi||Scott Roberts||Sean Michael Teague|
|Emperor Pilaf||Shigeru Chiba||Dean Galloway||Chuck Huber|
|Shu||Tesshō Genda||Jonathan Love||Chris Cason|
|Mai||Eiko Yamada||Debbie Munro||Julie Franklin|
|Ultimate Shenron||Kenji Utsumi||Dave Pettitt||Christopher Sabat|
|Narrator||Joji Yanami||Steve Olson||Andrew Chandler|
- The Japanese version and the Blue Water dub states that GT takes place five years after DBZ while the Funimation dub states that it takes place a decade after DBZ.
- When Goku and Uub emerge from their sparring session and collapse, Dende asks Mr. Popo to retrieve a first aid kit in the FUNimation dub. This should not be necessary, as Dende has healing abilities at his disposal. In the Japanese version and in the Blue Water dub, Dende told Mr. Popo that they should treat them immediately.
- The blonde teenager that Roshi attempts flirting with in this episode looks rather similar to the blonde teenager that Goku asks where he could find a police officer in "Monkey in the City" and its anime episode counterpart "A Trip to the City".
- Goku's outfit has been changed to a new color scheme in this episode having a blue Gi with ochre pants, pink wristbands, and white stockings replacing the old color scheme that Goku wore in the last three episodes of DBZ where he had a turquoise Gi with dark green pants, orange wristbands, and orange stockings, although the white sash and black kung fu shoes were retained. His skin color was also changed from a light skin color to a tan skin color. The blue Gi also resembles his first Gi from the beginning of Dragon Ball.
- This is the first episode in the FUNimation dub to feature the new score composed by Mark Menza replacing the Faulconer Productions score.
- This is also the first episode in the Original Japanese dub to have the original background music composed by Akihito Tokunaga replacing Shunsuke Kikuchi.
- In the Funimation dub, Elise Baughman replaces Susan Huber as the voice of Pan during Dragon Ball GT.
- In the Funimation dub, Stephanie Nadolny returns to the role of Goku as Goku is transformed back into a child by Emperor Pilaf using the Black Star Dragon Balls while Sean Schemmel voices Adult Goku until "Until We Meet Again".
- In the Blue Water dub, Zoe Slusar returns to the role of Goku as Goku is transformed back into a child by Emperor Pilaf using the Black Star Dragon Balls while Jeremiah Yurk replaces Jeffrey Watson for the voice of Adult Goku.
- Also in the Blue Water dub, Debbie Munro replaces Carol-Anne Day as the voice of Chi-Chi for the Blue Water dub of Dragon Ball GT.
- Emperor Pilaf, Shu and Mai make a surprise appearance in this episode as they all look elderly.
- This is the only time in the Blue Water dub where Scott Roberts voices Uub instead of Brendan Hunter.
|Black Star Dragon Ball Saga|
|← Peaceful World Saga||Baby Saga →|
|1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13 • 14 • 15 • 16|
|This saga is TV Original and not based on the manga.|