A Life or Death Battle! Goku and Piccolo's Desperate Attack! (命をかけた闘い! 悟空とピッコロ捨て身の猛攻, Inochi o Kaketa Tatakai! Gokū to Pikkoro Sutemi no Mōkō; lit. "A Life-or-Death Battle! Goku and Piccolo's Ferocious Suicide Attack") is the third episode of Dragon Ball Z Kai. It originally aired on April 19, 2009. It was released uncut in the first season box set on May 18, 2010, and aired edited on Nicktoons on May 25, 2010. Its Dragon Ball Z counterparts are "Piccolo's Plan" and "Gohan's Rage".
Goku and Piccolo challenge Raditz, but the gap between their powers is too great. So, while Goku holds Raditz back, Piccolo fires his new special attack, the Special Beam Cannon. But Raditz manages to dodge it by a hair’s breath! Goku seizes an opportunity to grasp hold of Raditz’s tail, but the cruel Raditz tricks Goku and escapes, and proceeds to torture him.It’s at this point that Gohan, who had been locked up inside the spaceship, unleashes his dormant power with rage and body slams Raditz!! Astonished, Raditz tries to kill the now instantly powered-down Gohan, but Goku immobilizes him. As Goku says to shoot them both, Piccolo fires the Special Beam Cannon. The beam pierces through their two bodies!! In his death agony, Raditz’s last words are that the two remaining Saiyan out in space will attack Earth in one year. Bulma and the others arrive, having followed behind, and as they watch, Goku passes away as well.
Differences from Dragon Ball Z
- When Piccolo lost his arm, his red blood was edited into purple blood.
- Goku's Bending Kamehameha has been recolored and its effect changed: when Raditz blocks the attack, instead of exploding, the beam simply pushes him back.
- Piccolo's Special Beam Cannon has been edited to a darker color.
- In Dragon Ball Z, the scene when Piccolo fires his Makankosappo (Special Beam Cannon), Goku and Raditz have bleeding holes in their chests. In Kai the bleeding holes are edited into burn marks.
- The same thing happened when Freeza shot a death beam into Vegeta's heart in Episode 42. These two examples give a false information that Kai removes blood, even in the japanese version
- Vegeta's Battle Armor is recolored to the way it appears later on. Nappa's is not, although it is possible he owns more than one suit of armor.
- The bleeding holes were edited out of the episode, but when Goku's body disappears there is a blood stain in the grass.
- In the uncut version, Piccolo says "Die Saiyan! Makankosappo". It has been changed to "Take this Saiyan! Special Beam Cannon!" in the edited TV version.
- When Raditz totures Goku by crushing his ribs, It is similar to how Goku felt as well as Future Goku while he had the heart virus, later on in the Androids saga.
|Anime||Prologue to Battle! The Return of Goku! • The Enemy is Goku's Brother?! The Secret of the Mighty Saiyan Warriors! • A Life or Death Battle! Goku and Piccolo's Desperate Attack!|
|Manga||The Mysterious Warrior From Space · Kakarrot · Tails of Future Not-Quite-Past · An Enemy in Common · An Unexpected Strength · Nothing Up My Sleeve... · Piccolo's Farewell to Arms!? · A Surprise Appearance · Sayonara, Goku · The Needs of the Many · A Warrior in Hell · Gohan and Piccolo|