Another Super Saiyan? (フリーザを一刀両断!! もう一人の超サイヤ人, Furiza wo Itto Ryodan!! Mou Hitori no Sūpā Saiya-jin) is the third episode of the Trunks Saga and the one hundred twentieth overall episode in the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. The episode first aired on December 11, 1991. Its original American air date was September 6, 2000.
The mysterious youth confronts Frieza, King Cold and their soldiers. The soldiers attack the stranger but get sliced up by his sword. More soldiers charge at the boy but they are easily handled. Frieza and King Cold laugh thinking the stranger will be no trouble at all, one of the soldiers survives the attack and starts backing away in fear. Frieza responds by coldly calling him a coward and, as the soldier begs for his commander's mercy, Frieza impales him with his hand, thus killing him. The stranger announces that he knows Goku, and also that he is a Super Saiyan himself. He transforms into a Super Saiyan as Frieza looks on and trembles with fear. The Z Fighters wonder if it is Goku they are sensing, although Vegeta secretly realized that it couldn't have been Goku due to his gaining a power increase at such a speed that he reasoned to be impossible even for a Super Saiyan.
Frieza tries 4 times to defeat the stranger, all failing. He fires a Supernova at the stranger, 10 times the size of the Death Ball that destroyed Namek. He catches it without trouble. At the youth's mocking, Frieza detonates the Supernova. Thinking the stranger is dead, King Cold briefly mocks Frieza for taking four attacks to kill the boy, with Frieza protesting. However, the man calls out to Frieza, firing off a Burning Attack. The two tyrants narrowly avoid the attack, but as Frieza suddenly becomes aware of the nearness of the mysterious youth, the youth slices Frieza vertically in half. King Cold stares in shock while Frieza reaches his end.
- Mecha Frieza is killed by Future Trunks
In the English version, Yamcha counters Vegeta calling Bulma dumb by saying she is pretty smart for a girl, making her angry at him. In the Japanese version Yamcha says you can not call Bulma dumb as she is a genius who just also happens to be nosey and bossy. When Bulma grabs him by the ear, Yamcha then says "See what I mean."
- Lightning Cross - Used by Future Trunks to kill King Cold's soldiers.
- Arm Cannon - A weak energy blast fired from a cannon worn on the arm. Used a few times against Future Trunks by Iru, one of King Cold's soldiers, but Future Trunks effortlessly deflected the blasts.
- Ruthless Blow - Used by Frieza to kill one of his soldiers when he showed cowardice against Future Trunks.
- Death Blaster - Used by Frieza twice against a Super Saiyan Future Trunks, but the transformed Saiyan easily avoided damage.
- Supernova - Used by Frieza in a last attempt to kill Future Trunks, but the Saiyan easily catches it, and dodges the blast when Frieza detonated it with an energy sphere.
- Burning Attack - Used by Future Trunks as a diversion to finish off Frieza.
- Shining Sword Attack - Used by Future Trunks to kill Frieza.
- The energy orb that Frieza uses in an attempt to destroy Earth is similar to the one he used on Planet Vegeta.
- A scene is edited out in the edited version where the soldier backing away from Future Trunks is impaled by Frieza with his hand, leaving many viewers of edited dubs confused as to what happens to him. Dragon Ball Z Kai removes this scene, however, the soldier dead on the ground with a big bloody hole through his body is still visible.
- This is the first episode in which we see a character willfully transform into a Super Saiyan. Up until this point the transformation was portrayed as either a legend or an uncontrollable state fueled by rage. It would later be explained, both in History Of Trunks and the Android Saga, that the ascension to Super Saiyan requires a combination of raw power and emotional need.
- Although the edited version has no problem showing Frieza being chopped horizontally in half by his own energy disk, it never shows Frieza after he has been chopped vertically in half by Future Trunks (though we can tell from the way it shows Frieza's view splitting in two), except in flashbacks during the Androids and Cell Sagas.
- This is the last episode in Dragon Ball Z where a scouter is used.
- This is the only full episode whose American music is available from start to finish on one of Bruce Faulconer's albums.
- The music "Frieza's Death", originally created for this episode, did not make the final cut, though the track was later used in the series, particularly in the episodes "A Hero's Farewell" and "Spirit Bomb Triumphant". Composer Bruce Faulconer stated that the reason for the cut was that the music was too heroic, and at this time we are not sure if Future Trunks is on the same side as the Z Fighters, so it was too much of a giveaway. This was also the reason why Destruction was used when Future Trunks became a Super Saiyan.
- One member of King Cold's soldiers looks similar to Jeice.
Bruce Falconer tracks
- "Destruction (soundtrack)" - When Future Trunks transforms into a Super Saiyan in front of Mecha Frieza.
- "Dead Zone (soundtrack)" - When Frieza begins charging his Supernova.
- "Future Trunks (soundtrack)" - When Future Trunks fires his Burning Attack at Mecha Frieza.
|Anime||Frieza's Counterattack · The Mysterious Youth · Another Super Saiyan? · Welcome Back Goku · Mystery Revealed · Goku's Special Technique · Z Warriors Prepare · Goku's Ordeal|
|Manga||Where is Goku? · The Coming of King Cold · The Young Man of Mystery · The Second Super Saiyan · Son Goku Comes Home · The Boy from the Future · The Terrifying Message · The Risky Decision|