Dragon Ball Z: Arrival is the first volume of the original Pioneer Dragon Ball Z DVD and VHS releases. It includes four installments from the Saiyan conflict: episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4. The Pioneer version removed all episode recaps and title cards, running the episodes together like a movie. It was also included with The Saiyan Conflict box set, which collected volume 1-8.
- The Arrival of Raditz - Goku meets a mysterious warrior from space, Raditz, who claims they are brothers.
- The World's Strongest Team - Raditz commands Goku to accept his heritage and attack the Earth. When Goku refuses, Raditz kidnaps Goku's son Gohan and commands Goku to destroy 100 earthlings by the next morning to save his son's life. Goku decides to join forces with Piccolo in order to take on Raditz.
- Gohan's Hidden Powers - After Goku and Piccolo start losing to Raditz, Gohan reveals his hidden potential.
- Goku's Unusual Journey - Piccolo manages to kill Raditz with his Special Beam Cannon, with Goku sacrificing himself to help defeat their enemy.
Unlike other Pioneer releases, the back cover of the VHS did not have individual episode summaries. Instead, a description of all four are used.
"The Saiyans are a race of alien warriors who crave destruction. They have sent their mighty warrior, Raditz, to the Earth to search for his younger brother, Kakarot, and to finish the job his brother neglected – to destroy all traces of human life on the planet! Raditz confronts Goku, one of the Earth's greatest defenders, and shocks everyone by revealing that Goku is really Kakarot with amnesia! Raditz commands Goku to accept his heritage and attack the earth. When Goku refuses, Raditz kidnap's Goku's son Gohan and commands Goku to destroy 100 earthlings by the next morning to save his son's life. Still reeling from the shock, Goku suddenly finds help from an unlikely source – his arch-enemy Piccolo! Despite their differences, they both realize that they must team up if they want to have a chance against Raditz. However, once their battle against the Saiyan has begun, it becomes obvious that, even together, they are not powerful enough to challenge Raditz! How will they make up the difference? What sacrifices will have to be made to protect the Earth."
- For this release, FUNimation got the Ocean Group actors to redub several lines relating to death, due to concerns from Saban. The original broadcast version with the death lines can be found on the promo "Action" VHS version, and on the 2013 Rock the Dragon Edition collector's box set.