Battle for the Universe Begins (未来をつかめ!!宇宙をかけた大決戦 Mirai o Tsukame!! Uchu o Kaketa Daikessen) is the fourth episode of the Kid Buu Saga and the two hundred seventy-ninth overall episode in the original dubbed and the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. The episode first aired on September 20, 1995. Its original American air date was March 19, 2003.
A little recap, with the destruction of Earth, Kid Buu, Goku, Vegeta, Bee, Dende, and Mr. Satan arrived on the Sacred World of the Kais. They are now prepared for the showdown which will determine the final destiny of the universe.
Knowing that the universe will be doomed unless he goes all-out, Goku tells Kibito Kai and the Old Kai to teleport far away from the planet. Mr. Satan cannot be found, so Dende, Kibito Kai, and Old Kai teleport away to a safe place to continue to watch the fight through their Crystal Ball, knowing now that this fight will determine everything. Goku and Vegeta then play Rock-Paper-Scissors on who will fight Kid Buu first. Goku wins. Goku, in his Super Saiyan form, is ready to fight Kid Buu, who finds the situation quite funny. Goku uses rock, Vegeta uses scissors and Goku wins as Vegeta reverts to his base form.
A recap of Earth's destruction goes through Goku's mind, and he powers up to Super Saiyan 2. Kid Buu (who fell asleep) is now ready to fight, and the final battle begins. Kid Buu begins to power up to his maximum.
Mr. Satan finds Bee, and sees Kid Buu powering up. He, of course, missed the only way he could have gotten off the Kai Planet, he is now trapped there while the battle takes place.
Goku is throwing everything he has against Kid Buu in his Super Saiyan 2 form, but Kid Buu will not fall. Kid Buu begins to show why he is the ultimate weapon, he is starting to win. Mr. Satan can only cheer for Goku, he is not sure what to think of the ordeal. Goku at last ascends to his final form, Super Saiyan 3.
- Goku (Super Saiyan 2) vs. Kid Buu
- Meteor Blast - Used by Goku in split-up parts to disintegrate Kid Buu, but the Majin regenerated.
- Regeneration - Used by Kid Buu several times.
- Vanishing Ball - Used by Kid Buu, but Goku deflects the attack.
Bruce Faulconer tracks
- "Goku & Kai Standoff" - When Kibito Kai uses his Instant Transmission with Old Kai and Dende to leave the Sacred World of the Kai before Goku begins his fight with Kid Buu.
- "Goku Battles 19" - When Goku battles Kid Buu.
- "Goku and Gohan Train" - During Goku's fight with Kid Buu.
- Most of this episode is filler. In the manga, Kid Buu never went to Grand Kai's Planet and goes straight to the Sacred World of the Kais to fight Goku and Vegeta. Also, Goku never fought Kid Buu as a Super Saiyan 2 and just skipped to Super Saiyan 3.
- In one instance in this episode, there is an error in regards to artwork where Kibito Kai appears. Near the very beginning of the episode, Kibito Kai is shown with red skin, and in the very next shot, he is shown with purple skin.
- In one scene, the Old Kai's Halo disappears.
- This episode picks up where "True Saiyans Fight Alone" had left off.
- This is the second time where Goku fights in his Super Saiyan 2 form, the first being his fight with Majin Vegeta.