"I'm the destroyer from this universe, the seventh."
Beerus (ビルス, Birusu), also known as the God of Destruction Beerus (破壊神ビルス; God of Destruction Beerus) or Beerus the Destroyer, is the God of Destruction within the seventh universe and, as such, his occupation is to maintain balance by destroying planets. Beerus' twin brother is Champa, the God of Destruction of the sixth universe.
Creation and concept
Akira Toriyama's inspiration for the design came from an old Cornish Rex cat living with him (like Toriyama's previous cat was the inspiration for Korin). After the cat became seriously ill, the vet declared it did not have much longer to live, but the cat miraculously recovered and the vet joked that it might be some kind of demon. Beerus' physical design also takes some inspiration from Ancient Egyptian deities, notably Seth and Sekhmet. Seth is a humanoid with a jackal-like head who is the god of desert, storms, darkness, evil, strength, winds, war, conflict and chaos in ancient Egyptian culture. Sekhmet is a humanoid with a lioness head who is the Egyptian Goddess of fire, vengeance, healing medicine, and she carried out divine punishment, such as destroying things, and sending out plagues. In addition to sharing the same position as Sekhmet, Beerus is a felid like her.
Beerus is a thin, purple cat-like humanoid, with large pointed ears, similar to Cornish Rex and sphynx cats. He dons black, blue, and gold Egyptian-looking attire with the same white and orange diamond decorations as his mentor Whis.
Beerus is powerful, yet playful too (like most cats). His similarities to cat-like behavior also display in his love for long sleep sessions, and in the methods he grooms himself. Similarly to many cats, he likes to display dominance, and will claim whatever he desires to have without much consideration for how it will affect others. He is also a gourmet, and his planet is stocked with fish and other sorts of food. While he is a fearsome god, his cat-like gestures and his variety of facial expressions separate him from the more malevolent antagonists in the series.
However, Beerus is hotheaded and somewhat selfish, and can become easily angered over trivial matters, such as being beaten in a game of Hide-and-Seek, being served greasy food, or being denied pudding. He is also confident in his superior power, not without cause, as he proved to be the strongest opponent ever fought by the Z-Fighters at the time. Despite his extreme power and role as God of Destruction, Beerus is surprisingly well-mannered and polite, and can be quite sociable and friendly when in a good mood; he uses exclusively polite pronouns, from the gentle-polite-masculine boku to refer to himself (much like Gohan, Trunks, Goten, and Babidi in the series) instead of the coarse-masculine ore (every other main adult-male in the series), and kimi (affectionately-polite form of "My Good Sir/Good Madame") to refer to everyone. Beerus doesn't like it when he doesn't get the respect he deserves as a god.
He's also comically abusive towards his servants. When Oracle Fish forgot the name of Beerus' ultimate adversary, he suggests to Whis to cut his feedings from three times a day to two times a day.
In Dragon Ball: Xenoverse after faking to be controlled by Demigra's Dark Magic due to being as a god, Beerus noted he would enjoy destroying Demigra because he "seems like an evil guy", and also out of revenge, considering Demigra's attempt to control him blasphemous that deserved punishment. Beerus also enjoys fighting strong opponents, as he looks forward to Goku, Vegeta and the Future Warrior becoming stronger. He also encourages the Future Warrior to see if they have a skill that can defeat him.
Out of the many gods in the universe, Beerus is the most feared. He is feared even by the Kais and the Supreme Kais. As a God of Destruction, he is tasked with maintaining balance in the universe. Beerus is the Destroyer God of the Seventh Universe, and his administrative zone includes planet Earth. He slumbers for several years to several decades straight, and he destroys planets in his administrative zone during the few years when he is awake. This is because destruction is required in order to create new planets, but he does not act on the Supreme Kais' orders; the Destroyer destroys according to his own judgment. Also, because he is quite capricious, Beerus destroys even important planets without a second thought. When he finds it bothersome, he lets someone else act as an agent of destruction. While he is awake, tense days for the Supreme Kais continue, as nobody knows how many planets will be sacrificed.
Having existed for hundreds of millions of years, at some point in time Beerus was trained in martial arts by Whis. Once every 1,000 years, the Supreme Kais and the Destroyer Gods go to each other's realms and hold a coordination meeting. During one of these meetings held 75 Million Before Age, they got into an argument over some trifling situation, and the short-tempered Beerus sealed Old Kai away inside the Z Sword, as it would not have been proper for him to destroy the Sacred World of the Kais itself. Once, he stopped by the Time Nest and met the Supreme Kai of Time. Another day, he stopped by King Kai's planet, which was larger at the time. He and King Kai played hide-and-seek (or a car-racing video game depending on the version), and Beerus lost, so the planet was destroyed by the peeved Destroyer. King Kai then took a large leftover fragment, whittled it down to a sphere, and built a road on it so that he could have fun driving there. This became King Kai's current planet. In "Showdown on King Kai's Planet! Goku vs. God of Destruction Beerus", Beerus says that he made his planet smaller because he didn't like the food. One time when Beerus woke up, he sneezed and blew up of two of his world's Suns, causing Whis to re-do time preventing him from doing it again. At some point in time Beerus met Frieza. The two got along fairly well as they both enjoyed destroying things. However one time Frieza got carried away and caused Beerus to get angry, with Beerus fighting Frieza and easily defeating the tyrant. Beerus also claims that he once went to Earth, and dinosaurs took a rude attitude toward him, so he wiped them out. Another day, Beerus was punished King Vegeta because he gave him the second best pillow in the universe but wanted the first which King Vegeta took, this resulted in him greatly injuring the king, and easily defeating Prince Vegeta - who attempted to attack the god. Before going to sleep, Beerus ordered Frieza to destroy Planet Vegeta because they annoy him.
In the movie Battle of Gods instead of getting a pillow for Beerus, King Vegeta treated Beerus and Whis to a feast in his palace on Planet Vegeta and Beerus used the Saiyan King as a footrest while he was eating. Prince Vegeta, who was just a child at that time, saw this and became upset, but remained silent.
Dragon Ball Z
Battle of Gods
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
"Give up and accept your planet's fate!"
During the events of the film in Age 778, alarm bombs explode, but Beerus still does not wake up. Whis tells him to get up and he says he will sing with a microphone if Beerus keeps sleeping. Since Whis is terrible at singing, Beerus eventually awakens from his long slumber and takes a bath. At his early feast, Beerus asks Whis whether the galactic overlord Frieza destroyed Planet Vegeta during his nap, saying the Saiyans and Frieza were very evil and King Vegeta was stingy. Despite the fact that Planet Vegeta was destroyed two years before Beerus went to sleep, he was unaware of it until he was informed of it by Whis. Whis then tells Beerus that Frieza was defeated by "a Saiyan known as Goku or Kakarot," and uses his scepter like a projector to show the past battle between Goku and Frieza on Namek. Next, Beerus touches an egg and destroys it. When Whis explains about Super Saiyans and some Saiyans including Prince Vegeta living on Earth, Beerus recalls his dream about him fighting with the Super Saiyan God and he then calls the Oracle Fish. The Oracle Fish does not remember it, but Beerus is convinced that it said so. Since he heard rumors that a Saiyan defeated Frieza, Beerus tracks down this warrior, Goku, on King Kai's planet.
When he arrives on the planet, the God of Destruction complains that King Kai's planet is so small, but Whis reminds him that he is the reason it is so small for destroying it when getting mad after losing at hide-and-seek. Beerus questions Goku and King Kai about the Super Saiyan God. After the two saying that they've never heard of a Super Saiyan God, Beerus wanted to visit Earth to see if the others know of a Super Saiyan God. Goku then asks to challenge Beerus to a fight. Beerus accepts Goku's challenge and agrees not to destroy the planet if he got angry. Goku begins by demonstrating the various Super Saiyan forms he can achieve. Beerus blocks Super Saiyan 3 Goku's punch and flicks him on the head. Next, Beerus repeatedly blocks Goku's punch and defeats him with a Pressure Point Attack, making him unconscious and reverting him back to his base form. Disappointed by the subsequent lack of challenge, Beerus departs in order to see if the Saiyan Prince, Vegeta and the other Saiyans on Earth know more about the Super Saiyan God.
He arrives at Capsule Corporation, where Bulma's birthday party is held. The Saiyan Prince Vegeta seems to have met Beerus before, and he musters all of his excitement and casts aside his pride to put the party's unannounced attendee in a good mood. Beerus easily acclimates himself to the festivities, and even politely apologizes to Bulma for being rude. When Beerus asks Majin Buu for one or two of the custard puddings he has, Majin Buu eats all of them, angering the God of Destruction, who decides to destroy the Earth. Majin Buu is blasted away into a lake by a Kiai from the God of Destruction. Android 18, Tien Shinhan, Piccolo attempt to fight Beerus and the God of Destruction easily defeats them one after another with some chopsticks.
While Beerus retrieves Buu back from the water, Gohan powers up and attacks Beerus only to have his head slammed into Buu's. Beerus also faces Gotenks and quickly defeats him as well. Vegeta decides to fight the God of Destruction on his own after the other Z Fighters have been defeated, but he is ultimately defeated. While Beerus is about to finish off Vegeta, Bulma walks up and scolds Beerus for ruining her birthday party, slapping him. The God of Destruction returns the favor right back and responds with a slap of his own, only his is much harder. Seeing his wife being beaten, Vegeta explodes in a fit of rage starts knocking Beerus around for a bit. Vegeta's anger gives him incredible power, but as soon as his rampage is over, Beerus is just fine and the Saiyan Prince once again accepts his and the planet's fate.
Soon, Goku turns into a Super Saiyan God and faces Beerus again. They have a battle in space, right above planet Earth. The form gives Goku the power to resist Beerus, but he reverts to his regular Super Saiyan form due to the form's time limit. However, he learns the form's godlike feeling, which allows him to use Super Saiyan God power against Beerus. Beerus points out to Goku that Super Saiyan God's time limit ran out some time ago and that Goku did not notice because he was able to absorb Super Saiyan God power into his body while he was fighting. Beerus says that because of this, Goku did not greatly power down even after returning to normal.
The two seem to be equally strong at some point, but Beerus eventually wins when he uses his Sphere of Destruction. Goku stops Beerus' energy sphere, barely holding it back, and the screen suddenly blacks out. Chi-Chi and Goku's friends appear in Goku's mind, then he briefly transforms to Super Saiyan God again and absorbs the energy ball. Goku gets exhausted, and Beerus wants Goku to say "I give up" and he says so. Beerus stops the fight and they talk for a while before going back to the ground. Beerus says that the Super Saiyan God was not that strong and the Oracle Fish's prediction was a little exaggerated. Beerus reveals that Whis is his martial arts master and stronger than him. He also says that there are twelve universes, and the one Goku and his friends know is just one of them, the seventh universe. Beerus is the God of Destruction of the seventh universe, and each universe has its God of Destruction. On the ground, when Beerus prepares to destroy the planet, he blasts only a small rock and says he has already run out of power. Whis asks Goku if he would like to be the next Destroyer God after Beerus dies, but Goku turns him down. To the pleasant surprise of everyone present, Beerus sincerely apologizes to Bulma for wrecking her birthday party and slapping her. Bulma accepts his apology and invites him to her next birthday party, promising that he will get a whole swimming pool of pudding to enjoy. After making peace with and befriending the Z Fighters, Beerus and Whis return home.
Beerus tells Whis that both Goku and Vegeta might become formidable foes before long. While they are eating sushi, Beerus tries some of the wasabi. However, the sheer spiciness of the wasabi turns his face red and drives him into a hysterical rampage, flying around at high speed and destroying planets around his temple in the process. Whis eventually flies in and knocks out Beerus in a single karate chop to the back of the neck. After waking up, Beerus is slightly annoyed at Whis for hitting him and says he'll destroy Earth if the sushi isn't good. Of course, Beerus enjoys the sushi and goes to sleep, only to be immediately interrupted when Whis reminds him he hasn't brushed his teeth yet.
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’
"I'm a Destroyer God! I am not here to take sides!"
During Resurrection ‘F’, Beerus is still trying to get his three years worth of sleep. However, Goku and Vegeta's training with Whis is very noisy and it makes it difficult for him to do so. Beerus walks toward where they were training wondering what the noise was and when he sneezes, he fires a ki blast toward Goku and Vegeta's direction, but it misses blowing up a planet near his temple. Beerus goes to a tree and hangs from it to sleep. After listening for a while, Beerus notices Goku and Vegeta talking with Whis and wonders why and how they are on his planet. Goku told Beerus that Whis brought them to his temple to train because he couldn't sense their energy. Beerus is curious and questions Goku of the importance of him getting stronger, hoping to overthrow him as Destroyer. Beerus asks Whis what food he was offered the time of visiting Earth he was introduced to pizza. He listened to Whis's words carefully and picks up that Goku and Vegeta have been to his planet several times before.
Later, Beerus is watching Whis, Vegeta, and Goku train while eating pizza. He interrupted their training asks Whis a substance on his pizza, which was cheese. Beerus was asked by Goku to not interrupt their training but Beerus threatened to blow up the Earth. As soon as the Oracle Fish arrives and tells Whis to check his messages, Beerus and Whis see Bulma with an ice cream sundae and are interested in eating it. After hearing from Bulma about Frieza, only Beerus remains interested in the sundae.
A while later, Beerus and Whis arrive on Earth and are ready to eat the ice cream sundae Bulma had prepared, but was agitated by Bulma's response at the moment. Beerus threatens Bulma by holding out a ki blast for Bulma to get the sundae. Beerus and Whis eat their sundae and watch Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku and Golden Frieza battle. During the fight, Beerus's presence is seen by Frieza and he gets concerned of Beerus there. Beerus states that as a deity, he will not interfere with battles. Beerus says to Bulma that if the Earth starts to come to an end, everyone should stay by him. In the end, Frieza blows up the planet, but Whis shields Beerus, Bulma, Goku, Gohan, Jaco, Tien Shinhan, Piccolo, Krillin, and Master Roshi. Beerus tells Goku that he made a foolish mistake playing with Frieza and that he should send Frieza back to Hell. Whis uses his Temporal Do-over ability for Goku to kill Frieza. Beerus finds it ironic that a Destroyer revived a planet back from destruction.
Dragon Ball Super
Main article: Battle of Gods Saga
Beerus has awoken from thirty-nine years of slumber and in the anime is joined by Whis visiting a planet inhabited by hog-like humanoids. Beerus investigates most of his food they presented him by just touching it and sniffing it as well; He forgets his manners as pointed out by Whis. Beerus asks about a drink they brought him. Beerus finds the drink good but it has too much fat content. After deciding, Beerus destroys half the planet with a mere tap on the table. Beerus and Whis are in space, and Whis questions Beerus's decision but Beerus says that too much fat is bad.
While waiting for dinosaur meat on his planet, Beerus tries to remember his dream of a warrior who he can't seem to remember. He gets impatient after waiting 2 minutes and 20 seconds, and goes to Whis on another planet, who had 40 seconds left, and encounters the leader, who wouldn't give up the dinosaur meat and transforms to combat Beerus. Beerus effortlessly blocks the leader's punches with one finger and dodges all of its blasts. The leader shoots a fire ball at Beerus but Beerus catches and throws it back at him. While Leader is unconscious, Beerus decides the dinosaur meat wasn't going to be as good as he thought and destroys the planet with a small ki ball. As he and Whis were watching the planet's destruction, Beerus sees a silhouette of the warrior from his dream and starts to remember the name of the powerful warrior who could entertain him endlessly. Beerus thinks he remembers the name and tells Whis the name was Super Saiyan God but isn't sure of it. Whis has never heard of Super Saiyan God and suggests to return to their planet to eat and try to remember in the process.
In the manga events transpire slightly differently, instead of being shown visiting multiple planets Beerus instead goes to one planet, which has insectoid natives. When Beerus is having his meal on the planet he finds that the drink they have given him is poisoned - though this does nothing to the god - the insectoids then attempt to attack Beerus with their crossbows, but he easily destroys the entire planet with a finger beam. As they are floating in space watching the planet's destruction Beerus notes that one of the dishes he had "Soup Yasi Jinkot" remined him of a prophetic dream he had of the "Super Saiyan God", and so he and whis head back to Beerus' planet so he can try and remember better.
Battle of Gods Saga
On the way back to his planet, Beerus continues to remember the name of the figure and starts to want something sweet for thinking so long. Whis has something special for the two on the way back in the fridge. After traveling so long, Beerus starts to question Whis' speed but is reminded that Whis is the fastest in the universe. Once they arrive, Beerus summons the Oracle Fish to remember the warrior of his dream. Oracle Fish seems to not remember and was threatened by Beerus to remember or she will get fed two times instead of three. After hearing this, the Oracle Fish remembered and called it Super Saiyan God, which confirms Beerus' dream. Beerus was told by Whis that the Super Saiyan God doesn't exist and wonders if the Saiyans knew but he remembered he told Frieza to destroy Planet Vegeta because the Saiyans made him mad.
While taking a bath, Whis tells Beerus that a few Saiyans survived the genocide, all living on Earth. He also mentions that Frieza was defeated by a Saiyan known as Goku who could go Super Saiyan. Beerus seeks to find Goku, who currently is training on King Kai's planet to confront him about the Super Saiyan God transformation. Beerus and Whis make their way to King Kai's planet, taking 26 minutes, as they have planned to eat grilled salmon on the way there. Mentioned by Old Kai, since Beerus' awakening, he's destroyed eight and one-half of the universes' planets. On his way to King Kai's world, Beerus is displeased by the food Whis packed for him, saying that the food he was eating, he was tired of even though he had it once 160 years before when he destroyed Planet Monser. He was told by Whis to finish his food because they'd arrive of King Kai's planet in 10 minutes. After that time, he arrived on King Kai's planet, striking fear into King Kai.
When Beerus meets Goku, he questions whether or not he is the Super Saiyan God from his dream. Goku immediately challenges him to a sparring match, but is unable to land a single hit on the god of destruction. Beerus than counters by flicking Goku in the forehead, then immediately knocks him down with a pressure-point jab in the shoulder. He then teleports with Whis to find Vegeta at Bulma's birthday party.
Upon arriving on Earth, Beerus sees Vegeta and starts messing with him by appearing and disappearing. Beerus stops and tells Vegeta that he remembers him since he was a child but Vegeta doesn't until he is paralyzed by Beerus which takes him back and remembers who Beerus is. Beerus asks Vegeta if he knows of the Super Saiyan God which comes to Vegeta's surprise. Bulma comes and greets Beerus and Whis and invites them to her party. Beerus and Whis greet the other attendees of the party. Beerus is approached by Yamcha and was told that he is the strongest and slaps his back. Krillin shows up and offers Beerus Russian Octopus Balls, balls of octopus but one is full of wasabi. Beerus takes one and enjoys it even though his doesn't contain the wasabi.
Beerus still seeks out the Super Saiyan God but Whis told him that most of the Saiyans are children and Goku and Vegeta are the only pure-blooded Saiyans. Vegeta arrives and brings more Russian Octopus Balls even Beerus is getting full and annoyed. He asks Vegeta about his relationship with Goku and was told that he is his rival. Before eating a Russian Octopus Ball, Trunks strikes Beerus with water from his water gun. Whis asks Beerus if he's angry and replies that he's not angry, he is super angry. Beerus gets furious and attempts to blow up the Earth but Vegeta calms him down by causing a scene: diving into the ocean and blasting an octopus and starts making more Octopus Balls. Beerus calms down and hears of pudding by Whis.
Beerus and Whis encounter Mr. Satan and Majin Buu at a table who has the rest of the pudding. Whis asks Majin Buu for pudding for both him and Beerus but Majin Buu refuses. Beerus gets angry with Majin Buu and they begin to fight. Beerus attacks Majin Buu and blasts him into the ocean. Gotenks steps up and and was easily beaten by Beerus by just getting tapped on the forearm. In the manga, Gotenks goes Super Saiyan 3 and was thrown into the ocean. Beerus was then challenged by Piccolo, Android 18, and Tien Shinhan. He dodges all of their attacks was ease and uses a kiai which takes them out. Majin Buu gets back up and challenges Beerus again. Gohan charges up and attempts to help but Beerus hits Majin Buu into Gohan. Beerus is lastly engaged by Super Saiyan Vegeta. Beerus merely paralyzes Vegeta and throws him to the ground. Beerus compares Vegeta's weakness to him father while he smashes his head to the deck of the ship. Beerus then gains energy for a finger beam and was approached by Bulma and gets slapped by her. However, Beerus smiles at her which he slaps Bulma back and this action gets Vegeta furious.
Beerus is challenged by Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta and gets punched. Vegeta is however not down and continues to get hits on Beerus. Vegeta is attacking Beerus throughout the ocean and gets blasted with a Galick Gun. Beerus is not hurt by Vegeta's attack but told him that he hasn't used 10% of his power in a long time. Beerus then hits Vegeta, making him fall to the ground. Beerus is ready to destroy the Earth but doesn't know if he should, due to the fact that Earth has pleasing food and wants it eat it. Bulma tells Beerus not to blow up the Earth and he gives them one chance to redeem themselves. Beerus scouts and then chooses Oolong for a game of rock-paper-scissors because he thinks he is the same race as Majin Buu.
Oolong hesitated challenging Beerus because the fate of the Earth is in his hands. Beerus declares that if he doesn't play, he'll destroy the Earth anyway. Beerus and Oolong play and they both tie the first to two times with scissors. Beerus thinks that Oolong is cheating but Oolong says that he can't be if he didn't win. For the third time, Beerus wins using rock and Oolong uses scissors for the third time. Beerus gets excited and gets ready to destroy the Earth. Whis brings the take outs of sushi he promised Beerus. Beerus creates an energy sphere and is ready to launch it but Goku shows up and asks Beerus for time to bring the Super Saiyan God.
Goku summons Shenron using the Dragon Balls and asks if he knows of the Super Saiyan God. Goku also mentions Beerus, who scares Shenron. Beerus is greeted by Shenron and tells him to summon the Super Saiyan God. Shenron however tells him how to make the form by doing a ritual using five righteous Saiyans flowing their energy into one other. When Shenron finishes, Beerus rushes the Saiyans to get started. After the first failed attempt by a miscalculation, Beerus wants to destroy the Earth but is told by Videl that there is a sixth Saiyan and she is pregnant. Gohan is excited and uses Videl in the ritual. After it doesn't again, they start focusing their spirit into each other and it starts to work. While the ritual is close to finishing, Beerus sees the Super Saiyan God silhouette in resemblance to Goku. After Goku has transformed, Beerus applauds Goku and they are both excited to fight.
Beerus and Goku are ready to fight so they fly into the clouds. Beerus requests Goku to show him the full power of a Super Saiyan God. Beerus understands that Goku hasn't fully adjusted to the power which makes Beerus not want to move when Goku attacked. Beerus wants Goku to use more of his power so which Goku charges a Kamehameha. Beerus easily vanishes away from Goku's technique. Goku's move is appreciated by Beerus. After being suggested by Goku to actually fight, Beerus tells him that no one in the universe is stronger than him. The battle continues between the two and Beerus easily blocks Goku's moves and begins to punch Goku too, which makes him flying away to rethink. Beerus catches up due to having more speed and after Goku tried to punch Beerus, Beerus counters and punches him back, sending Goku into the ocean. Goku rushes back to attack but Beerus continues to move at an intense speed to get hits on Goku making his arm burn. They both want to continue the fight but higher in the atmosphere. More punches are exchanged by Beerus but are not connecting because Goku has adjusted to his power and is gaining the ability to see them. After being hit by Goku, Beerus launches a sphere ball but it, however, was deflected. Punch after punch was given by Goku but is being blocked but one scratches Beerus's face and Goku jokingly flicks and chops Beerus to get even. Beerus is tired of playing around and wants to begin a serious battle between gods.
Resurrection ‘F’ Saga
Main article: Resurrection ‘F’ Saga After Beerus fight with Goku, Beerus goes back to sleep. When Vegeta and Goku come in to change his sheets, Beerus attacks Goku several times while he's sleeping.
Beerus eventually wakes up when Goku and Vegeta were sparring at each other and sneezed a ki blast when a butterfly was fluttering past his nose while Goku, Vegeta, and Whis resulting in one of the moons being destroyed. Beerus questions Goku and Vegeta how they got here and why they want to train with Whis, and then questions Whis what he brought for him. Beerus then figures out that Whis has visiting Earth but he tells him that only went to Earth to be a food taster for Beerus as he tells him that there are delcious foods on Earth.
Main article: Champa Saga Beerus is asleep on his planet until Whis is told by Champa to wake him up. Beerus is annoyed and wonders what Champa and Vados wanted. He is challenged to a brotherly battle of foods. Beerus presents Champa noodles and Champa brings an egg from his universe. Champa is curious of Beerus' choice and asks him where he received it. He is told that he got it from Earth and Champa realizes that his universe has an Earth but humanity was wiped out due to war. Champa offers a tournament between their universes of five fighters from their universes in exchange of Earths.
After Whis explains why Beerus and Champa don't fight each other anymore, they discuss the details for the tournament. The rules will be the same as the Tenkaichi Budokai and will be in five Earth days on the Nameless Planet at 10 a.m. If Champa won, he will use the Super Dragon Balls to switch the universes' Earths. If Beerus won, he will give him the six Dragon Balls he collected but Beerus has to find the last one on his own. Beerus' team is a team captain and his team results in Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Buu, and the strongest person he's ever faced. Vegeta and Goku go to Earth to get Bulma to invent a new Dragon Radar.
- Manga and Anime
Just before Beerus fights Goku, King Kai states to Goku that Beerus has enough power to send Goku flying to the furthest ends of the universe just by snorting at him. When Beerus fights against Goku on King Kai's planet, he is able to casually evade and/or block all of Goku's attacks even at Super Saiyan 3. When Beerus finally agreed to attack, a simple finger flick launched Goku across the entire planet as a display of his power. Likewise, a single outstretched finger was able to easily disperse Super Saiyan 3 Goku's Kamehameha. Beerus then instantly knocked Super Saiyan 3 Goku out with a pressure point to his shoulder (a chop to the neck in the manga adaption). After Goku was defeated, he stated that not even a fusion of himself and Vegeta would stand a chance against Beerus. When Beerus arrives at Bulma's birthday party he restrains Vegeta by simply looking at him (paralyzing his whole body). In a heavily suppressed level of power he easily defeats base Gotenks, Piccolo, Tien Shinhan, Android 18, Majin Buu twice, Gohan and Super Saiyan Vegeta. After defeating an angered Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta, Beerus comments that it is the first time in a long while that he has fought at 10% of his full effort. The manga plays out in a similar manner except he defeats Gohan and Majin Buu with a kiai, and Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks instead of base Gotenks, he also makes no mention of how much power he uses against Vegeta.
After Goku becomes a Super Saiyan God, he is able to hold his own against Beerus, and when Goku awakens the true power of Super Saiyan God, Beerus is forced to power up somewhat (to at least a fair bit above the 10% power he used against Vegeta), after a long fight Beerus defeats Goku. Beerus battling full power Super Saiyan God Goku causes the universe to begin crumble by exerting enormous amounts of energy, and the sheer force of their blows can be felt throughout the universe. In the anime, Beerus tells Whis that he did not use 100% of his power and that he was trying to get Goku to show his power, and later on Whis states that in comparison to Beerus, Goku and Vegeta are merely small glass balls while Beerus is a castle. It is stated in the anime and manga that if Beerus' were to use his full power he could destroy the universe.
Goku asks Champa who is stronger between him and Beerus, but Vados corrects Goku and tells him that their builds can have an idea of their power, which Champa yells at Vados for. Long ago on their birthday, Beerus ate Champa's Puff-Puff Fruit that was on top of his birthday cake. The two got into a battle that destroyed many planets.
Beerus is easily able to destroy planets, he once tapped his nail and half of the planet was completely destroyed. He also destroyed a planet completely by letting a tiny bit of energy drop from his finger onto its surface. It is stated by the Supreme Kais state that Beerus has enough power to destroy the entire universe if he was provoked enough - and it is again later implied that at full power, Beerus would destroy the entire universe. It is also stated by King Kai that Beerus is at a level "far beyond strong".
Beerus is shown to also have immense speed, able to go from his temple to another planet located in another star system or galaxy in less than two minutes, making him able to cross great distances within space without Whis' help.
Beerus usually uses his power to destroy planets, but he is strong enough to destroy entire solar systems with ease (as said by Whis when describing Beerus' might when angered). At a greatly suppressed level of power, Beerus completely dominates Super Saiyan 3 Goku in battle, rendering him unconscious with just a light chop to the neck and leaving him barely breathing. Afterwards, Goku mentions that not even a Fusion of himself and Vegeta would be enough to take down Beerus. Still using only a tiny percentage of his true power, Beerus effortlessly defeats Majin Buu, Android 18, Tien Shinhan, Piccolo, Gohan, and Super Saiyan Gotenks. He dominates Super Saiyan Vegeta and beats him in under a minute, which surprises Krillin.
Against Goku's Super Saiyan God power, the two seemed evenly matched, but Beerus eventually wins. After the end of their battle, Beerus states that Whis is superior in power and is his martial arts teacher. It is said by Whis when they returned home that Beerus hasn't used nearly 70% of his full power in a long while.
In Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’, Whis asserts that Goku and Vegeta were strong enough that if they were to fight Beerus together, they could potentially defeat him. Beerus also seems troubled by Frieza's Repeating Death Beams destroying the planet, and requests that Whis quickly raise a shield.
- Statements by authors and guidebooks
V-Jump notes that Beerus is without a doubt the strongest being in the history of Z. However, this is disproven in Battle of Gods when Beerus reveals that his martial arts master, Whis, is stronger than him. Beerus' power as a God of Destruction is in another dimension altogether in comparison to the non-godly Z Fighters.. According to the series' original author Akira Toriyama, in terms of power, Goku as a Super Saiyan God would be a 6, Beerus would be a 10, and Whis would be a 15. Akira Toriyama states in Dragon Ball Volume ‘F’ that Frieza is no match for Beerus no matter what he does.
Techniques and special abilities
- Flight – The ability to fly with the use of ki.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave. Beerus can fire ki blasts strong enough to destroy planets, as shown in the arcade game Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Tail Attack – Beerus attacks the opponent by hitting them with his tail, used against Super Saiyan God Goku when the Saiyan had him in a hold.
- Afterimage Strike – One of Beerus' Super Skills in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse.
- Divination – Beerus' is said to occasionally have prophetic dreams, however it is noted by Whis that they are rarely accurate.
- Headshot – A physical technique where Beerus knocks his opponent away with a simple finger flick to the forehead. He uses this against Super Saiyan 3 Goku during their short confrontation on King Kai's planet.
- Kiai – An invisible wave of ki that Beerus emits from his palm. Used against Mr. Buu.
- Beerus' Counterattack – A counterattack where Beerus dodges the opponent's attack and delivers a hard chop from behind. Used against Android 18 on Earth. Named in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z.
- Pressure Point Attack – Beerus uses Pressure Point Attacks to render his opponents unconscious. He uses this on Super Saiyan 3 Goku during their confrontation of King Kai's planet, using chopsticks on Piccolo, and later on Vegeta.
- Can You Keep Up? – A rush attack where Beerus quickly moves in front of the opponent and delivers a series of kicks. Used against Ultimate Gohan, Mr. Buu, and Super Saiyan Vegeta on Earth. Named in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z. This technique shares its name with an equip-able Z-Soul in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse.
- Continuous Energy Bullets – A combination of many energy waves fired at a very rapid rate. Beerus uses an energy sphere barrage technique similar to Piccolo's Hellzone Grenade attack. Used against Goku, as well as in the video game Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale.
- God of Destruction's Wrath – Beerus glows purple then fires multiple ki blasts from his aura in all directions. Used in Battle of Gods by Beerus during his battle with Goku in the Underground Lake and later named in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse.
- God of Destruction's Rampage - A rush technique used by Beerus as one of his Super skills in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse. Beerus attacks the opponent in succession while shrouded in a blue aura, which blocks attacks using stamina.
- Beerus' Judgement – Beerus fires his God of Destruction Super Energy Sphere and then follows up with his Wrath of the God of Destruction.
- Sphere of Destruction – A huge energy sphere technique that resembles a yellow star. He uses this attack during his battle against Goku, while facing him above planet Earth. Called Beerus Ball by Akira Toriyama.
- Wrath of the God of Destruction – A finger attack that is Beerus' super attack in Dragon Ball Heroes. He uses this attack during his battle against Goku in the movie, in order to increase the size of his God of Destruction Super Energy Sphere. It is called God of Destruction's Anger in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse.
- Explosive Wave – Beerus is able to use this technique in the arcade game Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale.
- Sealing Spell – Beerus sealed the Old Kai into the Z Sword after an argument with him during one of their coordination meeting held every 1,000 years.
- Attack Altercation and Redirection – A technique where the user uses their ki to catch an opponents attack, then alters it and fires it again as their own attack. Beerus used it to catch the strongest caveman's Fire Breath, turned it into a ball of fire and then shot it at the alien by pointing at him with his fingertip.
- Paralyzing Gaze – Beerus narrows his eyes and stares at his foe, and due to his raw power the foe is rendered almost completely immobile. Only works on foes who are much weaker than he is.
- Rebirth Kamehameha S – A special ability used by Beerus in Dragon Ball Heroes. It adds power to Goku's Kamehameha Rebirth.
- Palm Energy Infusion Explosion – Beerus places his palm on the opponent, infusing yellow ki into them through his palm by having it cover their body as an aura, then he releases and the ki explodes, injuring his foe.
- Energy Nullification – Beerus is able to void out energy and energy-using attacks by canceling out their effects and turning them into nothing. Beerus used this ability during his fight with Goku, in which he negated a burst of energy created from a clash between the tremendous ki output of Goku and his own, which possessed enough energy to destroy the entire universe.
- Atom-like energy sphere – A ki ball that is similar to an atom, which Beerus fires by physically hitting. The attack is said to be uncatchable and uncrushable, so Goku had to destroy it with a ki blast. Beerus uses this against Goku in Earth's stratosphere in an attempt to destroy Earth.
- Barrage Atom-like energy sphere – Beerus creates many Atomic Bombs and rapid fires them all by physically hitting the first one
- Cloning – Beerus is capable of creating at least twelve clones of himself in order to aid him in battle against an opponent.
- As a god, Beerus is immune to the effects of Demigra's Dark Magic, though it is shown that he is also able to mimic the techniques visual effects (glowing red eyes and aura) in order to give the appearance he is under its control, allowing him to deceive the technique's user.
A state taken on by Beerus when he is putting some effort into his fighting. In his Angered state Beerus' body is covered in a shining purple aura when he activates the form. During the climax of his battle with Goku, in order to counter the true, full power of Goku's Super Saiyan God form, Beerus "undergoes a further transformation" into this state, releasing more of his power against the Saiyan. The two continue to fight, their clash threatening to destroy the entire universe, however in the end Beerus is victorious despite not using 100% of his strength like Goku did.
The state was named in Dragon Ball Heroes, where it is playable since GDM3.
Video game appearances
Beerus is a boss and a playable character in Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, Dragon Ball: Ultimate Swipe, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Dragon Ball Discross and Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden. He is also a playable character in Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale, being unlocked after collecting all seven Dragon Balls during "Competition for Dragon Balls" battles.
- Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
Demigra sends his Mirage to Age 778 in order to use his Dark Magic to take control of the God of Destruction and use him to create a time distortion capable of freeing him from the Crack of Time. The Supreme Kai of Time realizes Demigra's plan and knows that if Beerus falls under Demigra's control all hope is lost and tells the Future Warrior and Future Trunks they must not allow Demigra to gain control over him or all hope is lost. During Bulma's birthday party, Demigra's Mirage hits Beerus with his dark magic as Trunks' toy ball accidentally hits Beerus as he is about to eat some pudding (that Vegeta had saved from being eaten by Majin Buu) causing him to spill it on the ground enraging him. Though Beerus is hit by Demigra's Dark Magic, initially he only shows brief moments of being under its influence and even seems to resist it completely taking control of him at times. However he finally seems to fall completely under its effects after Goku forfeits their battle high above the Earth. Dark Beerus then creates a Sphere of Destruction and it appears as if Demigra has won and that Dark Beerus will destroy the Earth. However it is then reveal that Beerus was the god that his Dark Magic cannot affect him and attacks Demigra's Mirage with his Sphere of Destruction, surprising Future Trunks (who was watching the events unfold from within the Time Vault), the Future Warrior, and Demigra himself. After Demigra's Mirage is defeated by Beerus and the Future Warrior, Beerus and Whis accompany the Future Warrior back to the Time Nest much to the surprise of Future Trunks and to the horror of the Supreme Kai of Time, where they agreed that if Future Trunks and the Future Warrior passed their "test", Beerus would allow the two Time Patrollers the honor of destroying Demigra. After that, Beerus and Whis went back to Beerus' temple, where Beerus wanted to sleep.
After Demigra's defeat, Beerus and Whis are seen floating above Toki Toki City watching Trunks and the city's inhabitants celebrate. Beerus mentions that it was worth staying awake just to see the Future Warrior defeat Demigra.
After the Future Warrior completes Goku's training, they encounter Beerus who had apparently journeyed to Toki Toki City in his sleep. Remembering the Warrior, Beerus offers to train them personally, but at first has trouble taking his role as the Warrior's Master seriously, but the Warrior proves himself to be a student worthy of training under the Destroyer God. Beerus ends the Warrior's training by teaching the Warrior his Ultimate Skill, the Sphere of Destruction.
- Japanese: Kōichi Yamadera
- FUNimation dub: Jason Douglas
- Latin America Spanish: Jose Luis Orozco
- Spanish dub: Manuel Solo
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Marcelo Pissardini
- Catalan dub: Alfonso Vallès
- Thai dub: Manoon Raeungchuemeun
- Italian dub: Riccardo Rossi
- French dub: Bruno Magne
- Basque dub: Pello Artetxe Lazkano
- Beerus vs. Champa
- Beerus vs. "strongest person Beerus ever fought"
- Beerus vs. Frieza
Dragon Ball Z
- Beerus vs. Goku (Super Saiyan 3)
- Beerus vs. Android 18, Tien Shinhan, and Piccolo
- Beerus vs. Majin Buu and Gohan
- Beerus vs. Vegeta (Super Saiyan)
- Beerus vs. Gotenks (Super Saiyan)
- Beerus vs. Vegeta (Super Saiyan 2)
- Beerus vs. Goku (Super Saiyan God/Base/Super Saiyan)
Dragon Ball Super
- Beerus vs. Insectoid aliens (Manga only)
- Beerus vs. Leader (battle mode) (Anime only)
- Beerus vs. Goku (Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan 2/Super Saiyan 3)
- Beerus vs. Majin Buu (Anime only)
- Beerus vs. Gotenks (Super Saiyan 3 in the manga)
- Beerus vs. Tien Shinhan, Piccolo, and Android 18 (Anime only)
- Beerus vs. Majin Buu and Gohan
- Beerus vs. Vegeta (Super Saiyan)
- Beerus vs. Bulma (slap fight)
- Beerus vs. Vegeta (Super Saiyan 2)
- Beerus vs. Goku (Super Saiyan God/Super Saiyan) (Goku doesn't revert to Super Saiyan in the manga)
- Beerus was first referenced in the manga chapter "The Zeta Sword" and the episode "Out From the Broken Sword".
- The scriptwriter Yūsuke Watanabe originally envisioned Beerus as a villainous character who infects people with evil and was the one who gave the Saiyan race their ruthless characteristics. Also, Beerus originally looked like a lizard, but Toriyama changed his design entirely.
- In accordance to the original concept for this character, his name in Japanese, Birusu (ビルス), is a pun on "virus" (ビールス; German pronunciation).
- Beerus was going to fight the Z Fighters with a spoon or fork, but the Battle of Gods animation director Tadayoshi Yamamuro thought it would be hard for him to fight like that, so he suggested switching it to chopsticks.
- Beerus claimed he wiped the dinosaurs out on Earth, but in the Dragon Ball universe, dinosaurs still thrive on the Earth.
- He is the only movie antagonist to have actually defeated Goku (via Goku forfeiting) and not be killed in the film (Janemba managed to defeat Goku in Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn yet was later killed by Gogeta), though decided one to destroy a single rock instead of destroying the entire planet along with life on Earth, allowing him to save face by keeping his promise in "destroying Earth" (albeit a small piece of it) while at the same time sparing the Earth due to his fondness for the planet, its food, and its inhabitants (specifically the Z Fighters, their allies, and families). Given his status as the God of Destruction, if Goku had been strong enough to kill him, the act of killing Beerus would have upset the balance of the Universe.
- Beerus is unique among film antagonists as he is not necessarily evil (since he is the God of Destruction it is well within his right to destroy the Earth and all of its inhabitants should he wish to, even if it was for such a trivial thing like pudding) nor is he especially malevolent like most film antagonists, such as revenge seekers like Android 13, Broly, Cooler, and Frieza, rampaging monsters like Janemba, Bio-Broly, and Hirudegarn, or villains seeking to conquer and/or plunder like Turles, Lord Slug, and Bojack. And while he enjoys the act of destroying things, he isn't overtly sadistic like a lot of villains in the Dragon Ball franchise. In fact he is shown to be quite benevolent, allowing Goku time to use the Dragon Balls to summon Shenron to learn more about the Super Saiyan God. Even though he defeated Goku fair and square, he ultimately choose to spare the Earth and even apologies to Bulma for both spoiling her birthday party and for slapping her.
- Beerus is one of the only two villains to be feared by King Kai, although unlike Frieza, King Kai has actually met Beerus.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Chōzenshū 1, 2013
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
- ↑ "Please Tell Us, Akira Toriyama-sensei!!" Q&A, Weekly Shōnen Jump, March 11, 2013
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 "【敵について】 ビルスとウイスの"2人"で確定。そして2人とも、強くてグルメらしい。 ビルスについて。長い年月眠りにつき、目覚めた数年間は惑星を破壊する。新しい惑星を創るためには破壊が必要らしい。 ウイスについて。ビルスに付き添っている以外は謎。詳細はイヨク編集長がひた隠しした。" - Twitter, December 2012
- ↑ V-Jump #5, 2013
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 V-Jump #2, 2013
- ↑ "A god who governs destruction, maintaining the world's balance. Once his wrath is incurred, he will destroy nearby planets and life, and is a being feared even by Kaio[s] and Kaioshin[s]." - Beerus' character summary
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Saikyō Jump #6, 2014
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 "Dragon Ball Q&A 7", Dragon Ball Full Color, Saiyan Saga volume 3, February 4, 2013
- ↑ Volume F guidebook, 2015
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Special Edition, 2014
- ↑ 
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 V-Jump #3, 2013
- ↑ Cinecon Walker, March 2013
- ↑ Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 4
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Anime Comics - "Akira Toriyama-sensei Godly Interview"
- ↑ "The Universe Crumbles?! Clash! The God of Destruction vs. Super Saiyan God!" episode schedule summary
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Official Movie Guide, 2013
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Tadayoshi Yamamuro interview, okstars.okwave.jp
- ↑ Yūsuke Watanabe interview, GetNavi, March 2013