Blue, Black and Blue (恐怖の光る眼, Kyoufu no Hikaru Me; lit. "Fear the Shining Eyeball") is the eighth episode of the General Blue Saga and the fifty-third episode in the Dragon Ball series. The episode first aired on March 4, 1987.
After General Blue lost focus when he got scared by a mouse, Goku breaks free from his Look into my eyes! and demands that he fight fair. Retorting that fairness is "the last resort of the weak," Blue attempts to regain the fight by using his Look into my eyes! ability once more, but Goku counters by poking the General in the eyes, greatly infuriating him. Goku then proceeds to beat the Red Ribbon Army General, leaving knocked out into a wall. When the Pirate Cave breaks into huge chunks and starts to slowly cave in, Bulma and Krillin run to the submarine. As the whole cave is breaking apart, Goku dives into a very deep well to try and get the Dragon Ball. He finds the Dragon Ball along with the entire Pirate Treasure, but only carries the Dragon Ball back to the surface. Bulma and Krillin find their little sub, and wait for Goku. General Blue wakes up and finds some of the treasure, and thinks he is rich, but gets buried in the cave collapse. Goku continues to look for Bulma and Krillin, running as the cave caves in. Bulma does not think it is safe to wait anymore for Goku, and decides to leave him behind. Krillin is angry at Bulma for her decision.
- As Blue is about to shoot Goku with the shotgun, Bulma cries out that while Goku may be strong, he's only human and couldn't survive a direct gunshot. Ironically, Goku's Saiyan heritage is the reason why he's survived all previous shootings, including his first in the original episode where Bulma shot him with a pistol.
- Bulma's exclamation of "Move it or you're gonna be a permenant resident here!" is similar to a line from Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Belloq tells Indiana that he'll be a permanent addition to the Well of the Souls after trapping him inside of it.
- The location of the Three Star Dragon Ball is somewhat odd, as it would mean that after dispersing at the end of "A Wish to the Eternal Dragon", it would have had to fly under the ocean, into the Pirate Cave, through the submarine bay and its corridors, under the water, out into the treasure room and then back underwater again before lodging itself in the mouth of the skull.
- The end of the episode shows Goku trying to navigate through a hallway intersection that was never depicted in earlier episodes. This is odd because at the first intersection Bulma and Krillin come across they make a point of helping Goku along with a chalk arrow, but they never encountered another intersection after that.
- This is the first episode to use music from Curse of the Blood Rubies.