Broly (ブロリー Burorī, lit. "Broli") is the main antagonist of Dragon Ball Super: Broly.
He is referred to as Broly: BR (ブロリー: BR Burorī: BR, lit. "Broli: BR") in some media to differentiate him from the original incarnation of Broly.
Creation and Concept
It was suggested to Akira Toriyama by his editor to have Broly appear in the movie due to his overwhelming popularity. After watching the previous Broly movies, Toriyama decided that Broly could be quite interesting if he rearranged some things about him.
In Dragon Ball Super: Broly, Broly appears somewhat different. While retaining the same height and black hairstyle, he is noticeably darker in skin-tone and has a scar across his left cheek, left bicep, and an "X"-shaped scar on his left pectoral, which is stated to be his most notable feature and is fairly more muscular. His facial expression also appears more stern than in the original (where it appeared melancholic). His attire consists of purple skin-tight pants with white boots that have a yellow striping at the toes.
He also wears a green fur pelt draped around his waist and flows on the backside and blue wristbands. When wearing what appears to the latest model Frieza Force armor, he wears black boots with white borders and green-striped toes, black chest armor with a green mid-section and shoulder pads, and black armbands with white ridges. He also at some point has a mechanical necklace on his neck, which is implied to be tied to Paragus' belt (akin to the original's crown).
While little is known about Broly's personality, it appears that he behaves in a far different manner than his alternate counterpart, as Goku states that he can tell Broly isn't a bad guy, and Cheelai states that Broly isn't fighting because he wants to.
Broly was born around the same time as Goku and Vegeta. Like his original counterpart, he was violent and born with a power level of 10,000. He lived on Planet Vegeta until he was sent away to a frontier planet by the order of a jealous King Vegeta who didn't like that Broly had greater potential than his son, Prince Vegeta.
Main article: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Broly will be the main antagonist of the movie.
Broly is one of the most powerful mortal warriors in Universe 7.
Broly in his base state is initially at a disadvantage against base Vegeta, but powers up enough to be capable of handling Super Saiyan Vegeta. While transforming into his Wrathful form, he was able to take a punch to the face from Super Saiyan God Vegeta without flinching. While in his Wrathful form, initially he is powerful enough to fight Super Saiyan Goku, then Super Saiyan God Goku, and then Final Form Frieza and Super Saiyan Blue Goku. In his Super Saiyan form he is able to fight both Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta at the same time.
- Statements by guidebooks and authors
In an article for Dragon Ball Super: Broly, a sidebar by Akira Toriyama (as Robotoriyama), described Broly as an incredibly strong Saiyan as well as "that almighty Saiyan". Another part of the article also mentions that due to being so popular throughout the world, it's even rumored he is the most powerful Dragon Ball character.
Broly gets stronger the more he fights.
Broly was born with a power level of 10,000.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Flight - The ability to fly through the use of ki.
- Ki Blast - The most basic form of energy wave.
- Saiyan Power - A genetic trait that continually lets a Saiyan increase in performance against adversity, either by recovering from great injuries or enduring great struggle in battle. Broly's Saiyan Power is likely superior to that of the average Saiyan as Vegeta notes that Broly learns as he fights, as well as Goku noting in a terrified manner that Broly was getting stronger after ascending into his Super Saiyan C-type form.
- Dashing Punch - Broly attacks the opponent by rushing at them at high speed to land a punch.
- Eraser Cannon - First, Broly charges a green light energy from around his body and gathers it into his palm to form a bright-green energy sphere. Next, he waves his hand forward and fires the attack at the opponent, inflicting a large amount of damage. He also fires it from his chest.
- Blaster Meteor - First, the user forms an Energy Shield around his body. Then, he brings his hands apart to each side and releases many powerful energy blasts that home in on the target, inflicting a massive amount of damage.
- Gigantic Breath - First, Broly opens his mouth and charges a green energy sphere. Then, he fires the energy sphere from his mouth in the form of a energy wave at the opponent.
- Meteor Crash - Broly's super move in Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle.
- Gigantic Omegastorm - Super Saiyan Broly's ultimate attack in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Gigantic Cluster - Used in Dragon Ball Heroes.
Forms and Transformations
Main article: Great Ape While Broly has never transformed into a Great Ape in the series, he has a tail and, by extension, the ability to turn into one when exposed to Blutz Waves from the moon or a Power Ball.
Main article: Wrathful
Broly possesses a Wrathful (怒り Ikari, lit. "Rage") form, this form possess yellow-eyes and Super Saiyan-like hair albeit black. This state also possesses a green aura and can also generate yellow bio-electricity. It is shown to be slightly more muscular than his base form, similar to his Super Saiyan form, but less than his Legendary Super Saiyan form.
Broly is capable of transforming into a Super Saiyan. In this form, Broly possesses the blonde hair with no loose strands that come with the transformation as well a slight increase in muscle mass. One notable change is that his pupils are gone hinting he is berserk in this form.
Legendary Super Saiyan
Main article: Legendary Super Saiyan
Broly is capable of transforming into a Legendary Super Saiyan. In this form, he is referred to as Super Saiyan Broly Full Power. This form is the one that Broly is famous for. In this form, Broly possesses greenish-yellow hair arranged in thinner strands than they are in his normal Super Saiyan form. He also grows to be 3 meters tall.
- Broly's Necklace - A device that stops Broly when he goes berserk. It is connected to Paragus' belt.
Video Game Appearances
In Dokkan Battle, Broly appears as a boss, and is stated to be a Saiyan outcast.
In Super Dragon Ball Heroes, Broly is introduced in the fifth mission of the Universe Mission series (UM5).
- Broly's name is a pun on the vegetable broccoli.
Main article: Broly: BR/Gallery
- ↑ Tweet by Ajay on the summary. Twitter (October 14, 2018).
- ↑ Broly BR. postimg.
- ↑ Toriyama's comment on Broly. twimg (Jul 9, 2018).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Destroying This Latest Movie?! The Incarnation of Rage!!!. Twitter (July 18, 2018).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Cipher's tweet on the Broly (Full Power) card. Twitter (October 26, 2018).
- ↑ Herms' tweet on Saikyo Jump's statement. Twitter (August 3, 2018).
- ↑ Herms' tweet on Broly's Strength. Twitter (August 23, 2018).
- ↑ V-Jump (1).
- ↑ V-Jump (2).
- ↑ SDCC "Which Saiyan will win?".
- ↑ SSFP Broly. Twitter (July 20, 2018).
- ↑ Herms' tweet on the Broly website. Twitter (August 10, 2018).
- ↑ Cipher's tweet on the Broly (Full Power) card. Twitter (October 26, 2018).
- ↑ Broly's Necklace Usage Revealed. Twitter (Octbober 5, 2018).