Changes (嵐の前の再会, Arashi no Mae no Saikai) is the eleventh episode of the Piccolo Jr. Saga and the one hundred thirty-third episode in the Dragon Ball series. The episode first aired on November 9, 1988.
Three years have passed since King Piccolo's defeat and all of the warriors reunite for the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. Everyone that Master Roshi and Launch are waiting for is late. Tien Shinhan, Krillin, Yamcha, Chiaotzu, and Goku have not arrived yet. Oolong, Puar, and Bulma arrive first. Bulma's look has changed again. As Bulma was about to help a girl to catch a flying balloon and is having trouble catching it, a mysterious young man appears to assist her. It is Goku, but he is not recognized by anybody, as he has his hair wrapped in a turban, but when he removes the turban and shows his unique hairstyle, everybody finally recognizes him, and are astonished by how tall he has become.
When there is just 1 minute left for the end of registration, Tien, Krillin, Yamcha and Chiaotzu appear. Yamcha has unexplained scars. Krillin revels in the fact that he is taller, but only for a moment, because Goku walks up to him and is at least two heads taller than him now. After some times to recognize, the two best friends embrace and Krillin finally gets to thank Goku for bringing him back to life. Both Yamcha and Tien are surprised and excited for their face off against Goku.
While talking with Master Roshi, Tien asks him whether he was going to be Jackie Chun again. Master Roshi says he won't be participating this year. Bulma shows renewed interest in Yamcha. Outside, lightning strikes the town clock tower. Piccolo mysteriously saves a mother and her child from the falling debris. As the preliminaries begin, Goku explains that he got rid of his tail, so Kami could restore the moon. Also, Goku and Tien notice Piccolo show up, and his arrival is much to the distress of Tien.
- Throughout the episode, both Goku and the narrator refer to Piccolo Jr. as King Piccolo's alter-ego, which does not make sense as he is more of his reincarnation.
- Oolong mentions that he needs a 1-minute recovery time between shapeshifts, yet in his debut episode, he is shown changing forms without any problem.
- For the Funimation dub, Sean Schemmel and Sonny Strait replace Stephanie Nadolny and Laurie Steele, respectively, as the voices of Goku and Krillin beginning with this episode, due to both characters having grown up.
- In the alternate Blue Water English dub, Jeffrey Watson replaces Zoe Slusar as Goku for the remainder of the episodes.
- For the Latin American dub, Mario Castañeda replaces Laura Torres as the voice of Goku.
- In the German dub, Frank Schaff starts voicing Goku, replacing Corrina Riegner.
- Wendel Bezerra replaces Úrsula Bezerra as the voice of Goku in the Brazilian dub.
- Paolo Torrisi replaces Patrizia Scianca in the Italian dub.
- This episode marks the debut of Goku's short-sleeved undershirt and striped boots, which becomes part of his signature outfit for the rest of Dragon Ball and throughout Dragon Ball Z until "Granddaughter Pan" where he stops wearing the undershirt and replaces the boots with black kung fu shoes and stockings.
- Bulma's appearance is updated in this episode, her hair is now shoulder-length again and now wears pink earrings along with red lipstick and wears a purple dress with a pink bracelet along with a white belt with a red pouch and wears white boots which will become her main appearance for the remainder of Dragon Ball.
- In the Japanese version, this was the first episode to use the fourth and final version of the ending. Because a clean version no longer exists, Funimation did not use it as it still uses the second version of the ending.
- In the fourth version of the ending, Yamcha's scars were missing for unexplained reasons, while Goku wore a blue undershirt instead of a black one. He would later wear a blue undershirt in Dragon Ball Z.
- This is the first episode to use music from Mystical Adventure.
- The title of the episode may be a reference to the David Bowie song "Changes".