"Yes! It is I who decides who lives and who dies! All living things are mere playthings to me! No one can comprehend my power and cunning!"
Cooler (クウラ Kūra) is the titular main antagonist in the movie Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge and an emulation of him acts as the main antagonist in Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler. He is the older brother of Frieza and the eldest son of King Cold. Like his brother, he can push his body through transformations. Also, like Frieza, Cooler gains a biomechanical form, but this is gained from merging with the Big Gete Star.
Cooler's appearance in his base form is similar to that of Frieza's Final Form, though Cooler's skin is deep-purple as opposed to the pure white of his brother. Cooler is also much taller than Frieza, being similar in height to Goku. Along with this, Cooler has a distinctively more masculine appearance than that of Frieza, who is more lean-built (excluding the engorged muscle mass when at 100% full power). Cooler also sports several armor-like carapaces on his chest, shoulders, shins, and head; these are apparently natural given how they too change when he transforms.
When he transforms, however, his body undergoes great changes as opposed to his base form, his chest and muscle-mass have expanded greatly, to a degree similar to that of Frieza's Second Form. His white carapace also changes, with the breast-plates shoulder pads becoming hoop-like in shape, while the white carapaces on his wrists change drastically, gaining dark-blue sections and procuring blade-like protrusions. Perhaps Cooler's most distinguishing characteristic in this form, however, is the change in the carapace he has on his head, which in this form completely encases his entire head except for his eyes, his mouth being covered behind something reminiscent of a visor, four spikes extend from his cranium and there is a large dark-blue section in the middle of his head.
Cooler's personality is quite similar to that of his younger brother and his father, though with a few noticeable differences. Like Frieza, Cooler handles problems in an intellectual and serious manner. Though, unlike his brother, Cooler is not consumed by his ego and is less likely to underestimate his opponents, as seen when he acknowledged that Goku was still alive despite taking a direct hit from his Darkness Eye Beam, due to the latter managing to utilize a counterattack against him, and thus ordered his subordinates to search for and kill him. Even when they had demolished a large portion of the surrounding environment with continuous barrages of energy blasts, he insisted that they continue their pursuit. Likewise, he does not get overly proud of accomplishments that require little effort as he found Frieza's gloating at destroying Planet Vegeta so childish. Cooler is also apparently more positively inclined and respectful towards his subordinates than his brother and father, as he has never once been seen abusing, ridiculing, executing them or anything of the sort. He also offers to take on opponents who outmatch them personally, which likely contributes to their undivided loyalty and respect for him. He even seems to be inclined to take his subordinates' advice.
Despite these things though, Cooler is a ruthless killer, even by his own admission. While he does not appear to relish in the agony and despair of his opponents like his brother does, he is fully capable of attacking children, ambushing enemies from behind and inflicting great harm upon an already incapacitated opponent. Upon entering his final form, Cooler displays a personality similar to the one shown by his younger brother in his second form, though not quite as pronounced: Cooler becomes exceedingly more brutal in his efforts to kill Goku. Other similarities he has with Frieza is that he is completely assured of his own superiority over his opponents, and his ego is also quite pronounced as he denotes himself as the "supreme master of the universe".
With regards to his relationship with his family, Cooler appears to have had a simple sibling rivalry with Frieza, labeling him as arrogant, foolish, a spoiled brat and a pest, and even goes as far as to admit that if Goku had not killed Frieza, he himself would have done so. He also says that Frieza was the "favored" one in regards to their parents. In Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, however, Cooler and Frieza appear to be more than capable of working together to defeat a common foe, though this is likely due to the both of them having been defeated by Saiyans and their subsequent desire for revenge. Cooler is never shown with King Cold, but dialogue implies that he holds the same respect for his father as Frieza did. Cooler's only interaction with Cold occurs during Frieza what-if saga in Supersonic Warriors 2 where he uses the Big Gete Star to create Meta-Coolers on New Namek opposing both his father and brother who destroy him and take the Big Gete Star for themselves. In Cooler's ending in the PSP game Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road, Cooler, and Frieza are shown to have a good relationship, as they plan to destroy the Saiyans together, and the two compliment each other at several points.
In Frieza's arcade mode in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, Frieza mentions that Cooler believes that violence is the answer to almost anything, something which Frieza disagrees with.
In the Xenoverse series, while his sibling rivalry with Frieza is still present, he is willing to begrudgingly work him to defeat the Saiyans and even travels to Dying Namek to aid his brother against Super Saiyan Goku in Age 762 after having been transported their by Towa, whom Cooler notes to Frieza when he asks why he is on Namek that he might as well repay his debt to her by killing Goku before asking himself why he should be explaining any of it to his brother. This shows that Cooler is able to feel gratitude to those who assist him like Towa did and even possesses a sense of honor when it comes to those who assist him in such a manner (though admittedly he had his own reasons for killing Goku for tarnishing his family's name by defeating Frieza which he himself planned to erase from history by killing him in Age 762, only to be defeated by the 2nd Future Warrior). In one parallel quest he reveals the only reason he did not kill his brother was out of familial respect though he himself has no real qualms about committing fratricide demonstrating the same lack of caring for blood kin as his father and Frieza both demonstrated (as Cold never grieved Frieza's death nor did Frieza even consider reviving him and did not care if his father or brother's souls were erased when Roh pointed out his family and/or loved ones would be erased with Universe 7 if he betrayed them for Universe 9 with Frieza coldly acting unconcerned by and even confused by his remarks as Frieza himself had no loved ones but himself).
However during the main story Cooler does note he guess it doesn't hurt to act like a big brother every know and then when helping Frieza on Namek, showing that he understands how an elder sibling should act (by protecting their and guiding their younger siblings when they need help or guidance) while Frieza fails to even look up to his elder brother (Frieza himself despises Cooler due to what he perceives as his perfectionism due to the latter's tendency to criticize Frieza for his failures even if it were for Frieza's benefit to actually listen to Cooler). Cooler still has no qualms about kill his own family as he states his intention to kill Frieza and his father to the Future Warrior when they train under him in Xenoverse 2. However he does spare Frieza after defeating him in the Frieza's Spaceship time rift anomaly if the Future Warrior joins the Cooler Force (Cooler's faction within the Galactic Frieza Army) and leaves the Frieza Force (Frieza's faction) under the Future Warrior control to do as they see fit having earned his complete trust for their assistance in aiding him in becoming Emperor of Universe 7, showing he is willing to reward such loyalty (even offering to allow the Future Warrior to reestablish their race if they are a Saiyan).
Like the rest of his family, Cooler is shown to be involved in the Frieza Forces, although he does not appear to work closely with his family. He also leads his own squadron of warriors. According to an issue of the Shonen Jump, Cooler has control of at least 256 planets, as his henchman, Dore is stated as hailing from planet Coola No. 256.
In the year Age 737, while Frieza destroyed Planet Vegeta, the home planet of the Saiyans, a newly-born Kakarot (Goku) was being sent to subjugate Earth. Seeing that Goku had escaped the explosion, Cooler's henchmen made plans to shoot the space-pod down. Cooler unexpectedly delayed the order, lamenting that his brother was still far too soft to allow a child's escape, and that Frieza's conceit would delay the annihilation of the Saiyan race and jeopardize his family's absolute control over the galaxy (that, and also the fact that he had seven planets to conquer/destroy by the end of the day [depending on the version], thus making him too busy to carry out the order anyway). Also, as Goku was only an infant at the time, he did not believe him to be any sort of immediate threat.
Cooler always had a sibling rivalry with Frieza and even went as far as to admit that if Goku had not killed Frieza, he himself would have tried to kill him. At some point, Cooler found the means to gain a clear advantage over his younger brother: he transformed into a Fourth Transformation, with power surpassing even his younger brother's full power at the time.
Dragon Ball GT
Super 17 Saga
Main article: Super 17 Saga
Cooler later makes a cameo appearance in Dragon Ball GT, when most previous villains escape from Hell when Dr. Gero and Dr. Myuu open a Dimensional Hole. He and the rest of the villains are sent back to Hell shortly afterward.
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge
"Well, well... not bad. Rather impressive, actually. Frieza... yes, I could see how he would have trouble with you. My brother was a pest - I would have killed him myself sooner or later. He was always trying to beat me, trying to prove that he was the best, and he definitely had the edge. But then it happened. As you know, I'm in the third transformed state, but I found a fourth beyond it! You should feel privileged, you will be the first one to witness this form! First you will see, then you will DIE!"
Cooler first appears in the prologue to the movie, where he orders for Salza and the rest of the Armored Squadron to belay an order to intercept and destroy an attack pod containing a Saiyan infant, citing that Frieza made the mistake of letting him escape, and sees absolutely no reason why he should interfere with his schedule regarding seven planets that day to cover for Frieza (depending on the version of the movie, he either intended to conquer [Japanese] or destroy [FUNimation dub] the planets in question), and also figured that the Saiyan would pose no threat to them due to only being an infant. In the FUNimation dub, when complaining about how Frieza is too blinded by his arrogant pride to notice the space pod, he stated that the space pod could have contained King Vegeta for all Frieza knew. He then had the ship flee the system, due to wanting to evade the destructive waves posed by the planet's destruction.
Roughly 27 years after the genocide of the Saiyans, Cooler is given the word that his brother had been killed by a Saiyan. Initially skeptical, he soon comes to believe it, and heads to Earth to restore his family's honor (he makes the point that he is not doing this to avenge Frieza. In the FUNimation dub, he also bitterly states that part of the reason Frieza got beaten was that of their father, King Cold, "spoiled [Frieza] rotten"). Upon arriving, he makes his henchmen encounter a Saiyan, who of course is Goku. As Goku was unaware of Frieza having a brother, he mistakes Cooler for Frieza and is shocked at the apparent survival of "Frieza". Cooler wounds Goku in a blast intended for Gohan but loses sight of his quarry after Goku is washed down a waterfall. This encounter leads Cooler to suspect that Goku did, in fact, kill Frieza, since Goku had thrown a powerful ki blast from a very compromising position after he had been hit by Cooler's eye beams. Not content to blow up the planet & being too proud and eager to smite the one who injured his family name, Cooler goes to some lengths to have him tracked down.
With Dore and Neiz killed by Piccolo and Salza almost defeated by him, Cooler finally enters the battle himself, with Piccolo expressing shock, believing him to be Frieza and stating that he should be dead. Cooler punctures a hole through Piccolo and has Salza go after Gohan. Goku, revived by consuming a Senzu Bean, encounters Cooler, learning he is Frieza's brother as Cooler demonstrates how much mercy he lacks, by dropping Piccolo, (pretending to let Piccolo go for Goku to rescue him) and then blasting Piccolo before Goku could catch him. Goku, enraged, condemns Cooler as ruthless as his brother before beginning his battle with Cooler. Initially, he and Cooler are a fairly even match; Cooler then understands how Goku gave his brother trouble. He soon reveals to Goku that Frieza was always trying to beat him at everything and that he would have killed him sooner had it not been for his father; this implies that Cooler was planning on killing Frieza before his confrontation with Goku, and desired to kill Goku mostly for robbing him of his chance of doing so, rather than family matters. Cooler soon tells Goku of his ability to transform once more than Frieza and shows him his ultimate transformation (in FUNimation's dub).
Cooler now easily overpowers Goku in this form, and keeps to his word to make sure the Saiyan suffers for bringing shame upon his family's legacy, by attacking Goku with back-breaking techniques, almost bringing Goku to death, until at length he grows tired of the fight and feels Frieza had further shamed his family by dying at Goku's hand. As he makes plans to destroy the planet, Goku's rage transcends, transforming him into a Super Saiyan. Off-guard and arrogant, Cooler is overpowered by the Saiyan; he realizes how Frieza lost to Goku and laughs crazily at it. Finally becoming desperate, he gathers enough energy to form a Supernova (the same attack Frieza used to destroy Planet Vegeta) to obliterate the Super Saiyan and Earth. However, with a powerful Super Kamehameha, Goku is able to offset his attack and send Cooler hurling into the Sun (In the FUNimation dub, when Cooler first notices the Sun while being knocked back by Goku's Super Kamehameha, he considers destroying the Sun with the intention of causing the Earth and the surrounding Solar System to freeze in darkness, but stops when he realizes that he is heading right towards it). Cooler realized that Goku was the Saiyan child he had allowed escaping nearly three decades ago and that in scolding his brother and not lifting a finger, he had been far too soft himself. Cooler is then incinerated in the Sun.
The Return of Cooler
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler
"And using the technology at my disposal, I created a new metal body for myself. A Meta-Cooler, if you will. I think you know the one."
Cooler's remains float around in space and eventually fuse with the Big Gete Star, a giant machine. The Big Gete Star revives Cooler by finally fusing with his brain, eventually allowing Cooler's "consciousness" to take control. Cooler set a course for New Namek, intent on draining the planet and using the Namekians as fuel for the star. Dende, learning of this horrible news, calls to Earth's warriors for help; Goku, Gohan, and Piccolo, as well as Krillin, Master Roshi, Oolong, and Yajirobe, travel to New Namek, ready to assist its people.
Upon arriving, they find many robotic beings are known later as Cyclopian Guards, as well as the "revived" Cooler now in a wholly metallic and enhanced body (in fact, it was a remote-controlled Meta-Cooler). Stronger than ever, he is able to easily repel Goku even as a Super Saiyan and had it not been for the unlikely appearance of Vegeta, Goku most likely would have been killed. However, even the two Super Saiyans run into difficulty handling Meta-Cooler; the nano-machines that made up his body would instantly detect and repair any defect, and make it so that defect would no longer hinder the "new-and-improved" version. Only by working together in a joint attack would Meta-Cooler finally be destroyed. However, the Big Gete Star housed not one Cooler, but thousands. Goku and Vegeta, battered and beaten, soon realize they have no chance of beating them all, especially since only a single Meta-Cooler gave them so much trouble.
Goku and Vegeta are soon attacked and are absorbed by the Star itself, where they find the brains behind it all, the actual Cooler: an obscene and grinning head split with one remaining eye, strung up by wires and sheets of metal, and integrated into the Big Gete Star's main computer. All Meta-Coolers seen previously were under remote control, and the machine itself formed Cooler's true body. He plots to drain Goku and Vegeta of all their energy to create an army of Metal Super Saiyans which he would use to take over the universe (In the English dub, he states he plans to use their energy for his own purposes), saying "Oh, the exquisite agony!" and laughing maniacally. But their power is too much and begins to overload the capacity of his systems. The Super Saiyans then flood the Big Gete Star with energy, causing it to crumble and his remote-controlled robots to self-destruct, while Cooler starts to lose his hold on the planet. Sickened by such "scum" yet again foiling his plans, Cooler fashions a final body from what's left of his organic self, intending to throttle Goku in wires. Even to this end, Cooler believes victory is inevitable, and his arrogance costs him his life as Vegeta shears off one of his mechanical arms with a powerful Destructo Disc, giving Goku time to break out and destroy what's left of his body with a deadly energy ball. With the "brain" gone and Cooler finally dead, the Big Gete Star explodes over New Namek. The very last portion of the Big Gete Star is soon destroyed when Vegeta crushed the original chip in his hand, ensuring that the cybernetic menace will never threaten another planet again.
Other Dragon Ball Stories
Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans
Main article: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans series
Ghost Cooler, along with what appears to be a resurrected Frieza, Turles, and Lord Slug, attack Goku and his friends in Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. They are in fact Ghost Warriors meant to harass the heroes.
Main article: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 During an altered history of the final battle with Frieza on Planet Namek, Cooler is transported from another time period by Towa and Mira to aid his brother in the fight against Super Saiyan Goku and the Future Warrior. During the battle, Cooler transforms into his Fourth Transformation while Frieza transforms into his 100% Final Form. However, Cooler is eventually defeated and falls into the molten core of Dying Namek. Afterward, Goku continues his battle with Frieza alone and the Future Warrior leaves to help Future Trunks and Ace deal with Mira.
Cooler later appears as Metal Cooler in Age 779, history having been changed so that Cooler is revived alongside Frieza when Sorbet wishes him back to life, by using the second wish originally taken by the Pilaf Gang. Metal Cooler is then upgraded to have far greater power and enhanced by dark magic, he appears during Golden Frieza's fight with the Future Warrior and Goku after Whis notices him, but Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta steps in to fight Metal Cooler. Frieza destroys the planet and kills everyone, but Whis rewinds time and the Future Warrior stops this. Frieza and Metal Cooler then both use the Supervillain form, however, they are still defeated.
- Frieza's Spaceship side-quests
While working undercover as a member of the Frieza Force to investigate the time rift anomaly around Frieza's Spaceship, the Future Warrior will encounter Cooler onboard after defeating the entire Ginyu Force twice. Impressed by the Warrior's fighting ability and power after watching them defeat the Ginyu Force, Cooler offers the Warrior a chance to work under him. The Warrior can choose to ally themselves with either Cooler or remain under Frieza. If they chose to join up with Cooler, he will give them a mission to defeat Frieza in order to prove Cooler is the strongest. After defeating Frieza, Cooler will assign the Warrior to spar with him for his training as mentor. During the training, Cooler will explain his goal is to keep getting stronger in order to defend his family's place as the strongest in the universe. After sparring against Cooler in his fifth form four times, Cooler will evolve into Metal Cooler. If the Future Warrior is a Saiyan, out of respect for their loyalty, Cooler says he will allow them to rebuild the Saiyan civilization on any planet they choose. He also gives them command over Frieza's men, though he doubts they will be much of any use to someone as powerful as the Future Warrior.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Universe Mission
Prison Planet Saga
Main article: Prison Planet Saga
Cooler somehow ends up on the Prison Planet, in his final form he finds Future Trunks in a cell and breaks him out, telling the half-Saiyan to come with him.
Later, as Future Trunks and Fu are fighting, Cooler fires a ki blast at them, interrupting their battle.
- Movies and OVAs
In his base form, Cooler is able to more or less fight evenly with Goku's base form, after Goku had returned from Namek and powered up with his Saiyan Power. When Cooler transforms into his Final Form Goku states his ki is even greater than Frieza's full power. His degree of superiority over Goku is such that he flies through a Kaio-ken Kamehameha with no damage. However, Cooler was completely outmatched when Goku turned into a Super Saiyan, being caught by complete surprise by the Saiyan's speed and is unable to deal any significant damage even with a close-range energy wave. Once Cooler used his Supernova, however, he did give Goku significant trouble, so much so that Goku was completely drained of his power after repelling Cooler. He is eventually defeated when Goku fires a Kamehameha into Cooler's Supernova, forcing him into the sun. According to Cooler just prior to using his Supernova, he also was capable of gathering ki energy for the attack much faster than Frieza did with the same attack, which was demonstrated by his fully charging the attack in only a matter of seconds after distracting Goku with an energy wave. On a related note, the FUNimation dub implies that he was also powerful enough to destroy an entire star system's central star if he wished immediately prior to his defeat.
Additionally, it is strongly implied that Cooler can control his ki far better than his brother (at least before his resurrection and training) as the Z Fighters never detected his presence unlike how they were able to sense both Cold and Mecha Frieza while their ship had just entered Earth's orbit. Additionally Cooler could easily sneak up on the likes of Piccolo only noticing once Cooler had made his presence known which he did while in flight (an impressive feat as normal flight would prevent one from concealing one's ki) indicating his ki control may even be on a level greater than any of the Z Fighters at that time. Cooler's ability to control his ki may explain his lack of lower forms like Frieza and Frost as he is able to control and even suppress his immense power. This may also explain why he was considered stronger than his brother as Frieza's inability to control his power before his training was what weakened him as he could not maintain it for long periods while Cooler is never shown having that problem as he presumably understood the benefits of training in order to overcome one's weaknesses which is something Frieza only learned after his resurrection. Thus while Frieza was a prodigy Cooler may have understood the benefits hard work and diligence are necessary to maintain one's power which may explain how he was able to acquire his Fourth Transformation.
After being connected to the Big Gete Star's core, becoming Meta-Cooler Core, he manages to hold Super Saiyan Goku (whose power had been severely drained) and injure him, but a charged ki blast from the Saiyan was enough to obliterate Meta-Cooler Core's battle form by exploding him from the inside.
In the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans OVA Ghost Cooler is able to put up somewhat of a fight against Super Saiyan Goku.
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Universe Mission
In the Prison Planet Saga, in the manga Final Form Cooler is able to take down base Bojack with a sneak attack Death Beam. In the game final form Cooler is defeated by Future Trunks when the two battle. Encountering Super Saiyan: Berserk Goku, Cooler becomes Golden Cooler and tries to defeat him with his strongest attack.
- Statements by authors and guidebooks
Daizenshuu 6 notes that Cooler can stay in his true form without worry, while Frieza was unable to due to how his power was too strong to allow him to remain in his true form - to the point where he could not restrain it. Indicating that in his normal form Cooler does not have the intense uncontrollable power that his brother did.
In an interview with Akira Toriyama, he stated that among Frieza's race only Frieza and Cold had such incredible levels of power. It was also stated by Naho Ooishi in an interview for Resurrection ‘F’ that even though the rest of Frieza's family are strong, Frieza's power has always been in a completely different league from them, and that Frieza alone is the only one who possesses this level of power.
It was stated by Takao Koyama, that when making Dragon Ball movies was that the next movie villain that Goku fought would always have to be at least stronger than the previous villain Goku fought. Thus, Cooler was stronger than Lord Slug but weaker than Meta-Cooler. This was likewise confirmed in the movie itself, where it took a significant amount of effort for Goku and Vegeta in Super Saiyan Forms to destroy one Metal Cooler while fighting Cooler himself later in the film had him being taken down comparatively easily.
- Video games
In the Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen version of the Cooler's Revenge storyline, Cooler is depicted as being far stronger than he was in his movie appearance. In his base form, he is able to fight against Super Saiyan Goku, and it is not until Super Saiyan Vegeta arrives to assist Goku that Cooler actually gets worried. After the two Super Saiyans defeat his base form, Cooler takes on his Final Form, however even this is not enough to defeat the combined might of two Super Saiyans.
In the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans game Ghost Cooler and Ghost Frieza together are able to hold their own against the Z Fighters, but are ultimately defeated.
In the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series base Cooler's bio states that he has similar power to Frieza's regular final form.
In Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (which takes place two years after Buu's defeat), after getting stronger during his time in Hell, Cooler is able to hold his own against Super Saiyan Vegeta in base form and he is able to defeat Pikkon (wearing weighted clothing) - who was previously shown to be capable of easily defeating Cell - while using his final form.
In the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 character references, Cooler's base form is stated to have a power level similar to that of Frieza's final form, while his transformed state is said to raise his power massively. In the story mode of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Goku will say "Amazing... he's even stronger than Frieza!" in the pre-fight dialogue when fighting base form Cooler. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z also describes base Cooler as having power equivalent to Final Form Frieza, though this is inconsistent with what is shown in-game, as base Cooler only has a power level of 410, inferior to Final Form Frieza's power level of 430. Battle of Z also describes Cooler's Final Form as "stronger than Frieza"; however, when using Frieza to battle Cooler in the scenarios in the game that are based on Cooler's Revenge ("The Revenge of Cooler" and "True Final Form"), Frieza's power is said to have increased to the point of him being stronger than Cooler in both of his forms by the time of the events of movie.
During the Prison Planet Saga, final form Cooler battles base Future Trunks to see how strong he is but is defeated. As Golden Cooler, Cooler is able to fight the damaged Evil Saiyan and Super Saiyan: Berserk Goku alongside Future Trunks and Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta.
- Flight – Like almost all Dragon Ball Z characters, Cooler is able to fly through use of his ki.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave.
- Afterimage – A move used in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
- Arc Blast – Cooler transforms into his final form and releases an Arc(tic) Blast, or a lot of sharp little blasts. It is his Ultimate K.O. in the Nintendo DS game Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Core Smash – A heavy punch used by Meta-Cooler Core. Used against Goku in the movie, and named in Supersonic Warriors 2 when the giant hand of Meta-Cooler Core emerges from the ground to attack the opponent when summoned by Meta-Cooler.
- Death Ball – A sphere of ki utilized by Cooler in video games.
- Supernova - A more powerful variant of the Death Ball used by Cooler in video games.
- Supernova Cooler – In his final form, Cooler has the ability to gather tons of ki in seconds to create the supernova. This is to be Cooler's trump card versus Goku, but his attack is blocked, and he is subsequently pushed by the force of it and Goku's Super Kamehameha into the Sun. Named in Xenoverse 2.
- DUAL Supernova (Cooler) - Cooler's two person team attack version of DUAL Supernova which appears as his Dual Ultimate Attack skill in Xenoverse 2 after the 1.09.00 Update. Can be added to Final Form Cooler's custom skillset via Partner Customization allowing him to initiate the Dual Ultimate which if successfully followed up by a partner's (Future Warrior, Time Patroller NPCs, or when teamed with Final Form Cooler) secondary assist attack will result in Cooler and his partner both attacking the opponent as a pair with Supernova Cooler at the same time. The attack's strength increases as Final Form Cooler's Partner Gauge (a secondary gauge for his Instructor icon in Play Data that appears after reaching maximum friendship with him as an Instructor) fills up. Final Form Cooler can perform the secondary assist regardless of the skills he has equipped though his partner must initiate it with the DUAL Supernova (Cooler) skill.
- Golden Super Nova - Golden Cooler's super attack in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Supernova Cooler – In his final form, Cooler has the ability to gather tons of ki in seconds to create the supernova. This is to be Cooler's trump card versus Goku, but his attack is blocked, and he is subsequently pushed by the force of it and Goku's Super Kamehameha into the Sun. Named in Xenoverse 2.
- Supernova - A more powerful variant of the Death Ball used by Cooler in video games.
- Death Beam – Like most members of the Frieza Clan, Cooler can use the Death Beam as seen in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
- Death Laser – Cooler's version of the Death Beam, referred to as "Death Laser". He uses the attack against Piccolo in Cooler's Revenge. It was named in Battle of Z.
- Barrage Death Beam – Used as part of one of his rush attacks in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3.
- Darkness Eye Beam -
- Particle Bomb – An explosive energy sphere attack. Named in Battle of Z.
- Chaotic Dead End – A combination of the Death Laser and Particle Bomb attacks used on Piccolo.
- Death Chaser – In final form, Cooler punches the opponent in the stomach, followed by a knee and a back-punch, knocking the opponent to the ground. Then, Cooler kicks the opponent in the stomach. Used against Goku.
- Death Flash – An energy wave Cooler used in his base form after he injured Goku with the Eye Laser when he was aiming for Gohan. He used it to chase Goku after he fell in the river. Cooler also used it in his final form against Super Saiyan Goku, immediately before the Supernova, in Cooler's Revenge. In Budokai Tenkaichi 3, the move was called Full Power Energy Wave.
- Dignity of the Conqueror – Cooler rapid fires Ki Blasts at his opponent. Used in the Dragon Ball Collectible Card Game.
- Honor Redeemed – A special power up used by Cooler in Supersonic Warriors 2. If Frieza is defeated by the opponent, Cooler's anger at his brother's defeat causes his power to increase.
- Missile Launcher – Meta-Cooler Core has the ability to launch large missiles in Battle of Z.
- Nova Chariot – A rush attack where Cooler is surrounded by a purple aura, very similar to Frieza's Nova Strike. Used by Cooler to fly through Goku's Kaio-ken Kamehameha unfazed. Named in Battle of Z. In Xenoverse 2, it appears as a Super Skill called Shadow Crusher and acts as a Ki Blast based counter move where Cooler performs the Frieza Stance as a taunt and if hit by a ki blast or ki blast Super he will charge through it and attack.
- Energy Absorption – The ability to take someones energy and add it to their own. Metal Cooler (nucleus) uses this on Goku and Vegeta in The Return of Cooler. He is also able to use this in the video games Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi and Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Fatal Combination – A 3-hit combo rush attack used in his Final form. Named in Raging Blast 2.
- Freeze Storm – A combo move used in Supersonic Warriors 2 where Cooler and Mecha Frieza create a blizzard and fire it at the opponent.
- Instant Transmission – As seen in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (and possibly its sequel), Cooler can use the Instant Transmission. It can be assumed Cooler learned this technique while being in Hell after his defeat by Goku. However considering it can be used by Meta-Cooler, it is possible he knew the technique before he became one with the Big Gete Star.
- Sonic Warp - A variation of Rapid Movement in which the user moves so fast they appear as if they have teleported. Used in Xenoverse 2 as part of the Psychic Move Evasive Skill.
- Psychic Move - Frieza's Evasive Skill used by a non-playable versions of Cooler & Metal Cooler in Xenoverse 2. The user circles behind the opponent with Sonic Warp and attacks them with a razor sharp ki slash shockwave.
- Psycho Barrier – A technique used in the video games Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Metal Cooler (nucleus) uses a barrier through special devices in a boss fight in Battle of Z.
- Regeneration – Ghost Cooler can regenerate using Destron Gas, and also in his playable appearance in Dragon Ball Heroes. Regeneration is also used by Meta-Cooler Core to remove damage in Battle of Z.
- Death Wave - Cooler releases a C-shaped wave of energy. Originally used by Frieza, but since Cooler is an alternate outfit for him in Dragon Ball Z 2 V, he has access to the move as well. In Dragon Ball Fusions, it appears under then name Earth Breaker and is one of Cooler's Special Moves.
- Hi-Speed Earth Breaker - A stronger version of Earth Breaker that appears as one of Cooler's Special Moves.
- S Hi-Speed Earth Breaker - An even stronger version of Earth Breaker that is stronger than Hi-Speed Earth Breaker that appears as one of Cooler's Special Moves. Can be learned by Cooler after reaching Lv. 63.
- Hi-Speed Earth Breaker - A stronger version of Earth Breaker that appears as one of Cooler's Special Moves.
- Sauzer Blade – A powerful blade of pure ki which Cooler uses to cut his opponents in Budokai 3 and Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World. This technique was originally used by Salza in Cooler's Revenge.
- Telekinesis – Cooler can lift or move large objects through the air with his mind. Also used in the Gokuden RPG series, and in Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3 under the name Psychokinesis.
- Telepathy - Cooler can speak via his mind, at least after becoming the core of the Big Gete Star yet before assuming a battle form. This was especially evident with his frequent dialogue to Goku and Vegeta, where his mouth does not move at all until he assumes his battle form.
- Transformation – An extra transformation Cooler learned to go beyond Frieza's. Originally, Cooler merely told Goku that he had one more transformation than Frieza.
- Like his younger brother Frieza, Cooler is able to survive even the most horrific injury, even decapitation and incineration. He can also survive in space.
- Double Attack Full-Throttle Power – A special ability used by base Cooler in Dragon Ball Heroes. Cooler's attack doubles and he attacks with a partner who also powers up.
- Blow of the Whole Body – A special ability used by final form Cooler in Dragon Ball Heroes. A powerful physical blow.
- Eyes of Fear – A special ability used by final form Cooler in Dragon Ball Heroes. When Cooler attacks the enemy, their ki is downed.
- Super Spirit Sphere of Destruction – A special ability used by final form Cooler in Dragon Ball Heroes. Cooler goes into sparking mode and his attacks increase in power.
- Sledgehammer - One of Cooler's Super Skills in Xenoverse 2.
- Full Power Charge - A technique used to charge ki. One of Cooler's Super Skills in Xenoverse 2.
- Charged Ki Wave - A technique used to convert ki into stamina. One of Cooler's Super Skills in his Super Evolution form in Xenoverse 2.
- Fake Blast - A technique in which he fires a weak ki blast that temporarly blinds the opponent originally used in the film Cooler's Revenge against Super Saiyan Goku in his Final Form which was named in Xenoverse 2 where it appears as his Evasive Skill.
- Full Power Energy Wave - One of Cooler's Ultimate Skills in Xenoverse 2. Use by Cooler in both his fourth and his Super Evolution form.
- Telekinesis - The ability to manipulate objects with one's mind.
- Death Meteor - Metal Cooler hurls stones like meteorites at his enemy with telekinesis. An Ultimate Skill used by Supervillain Metal Cooler when he is fought in Expert Mission 07: "The Big Gete Star Strikes Back" in Xenoverse 2. After the 1.09.00 Update, this skill can be added to Final Form Cooler's custom skillset after being purchased for 15 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Kiai - A shockwave released from some part of the users body.
- Shockwave - A weal kiai released from the user's palm which can make enemies stagger. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, this Super Skill can be added to his custom skillset via Partner Customization.
- Ki Blast Cannon - A strong kiai capable of launch opponents slowly forward making it ideal for follow up attacks. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, this Super Skill can be added to his custom skillset after being purchased for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Monster Throw - A piledriver technique originally used by Zarbon. One of Cooler's Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Taunt - Cooler taunts a single opponent in order to enrage them. One of Cooler's Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Attack Genius - Deal 10% more damage. One of Cooler's passive Skills in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Royalty - Lower enemy level = stat boost. One of Cooler's passive Skills in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Fusion - Cooler can use different types of fusion in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- EX-Fusion - By wearing a Metamo-Ring and performing the Fusion Dance, Cooler can fuse with his brother to create Coolieza.
- Five-Way Fusion - A fusion technique developed by the Ginyu Force which allows five people to fuse to create a powerful Ultra Fusion. Can be used by Cooler after becoming a member of Tekka's Team in Dragon Ball Fusions.
Lower Forms Main article: Transforming Ability
It is stated in the fifth film that Cooler possesses lower forms just like his brother Frieza does. The 2008 Dragon Ball Collectible Card Game has Cooler in his third form (identical to his fourth form) and that his super evolved final form is his fourth form, while he says he is in his third transformed state and found a fourth beyond it in the movie. This shows that Cooler has at least two lower forms. Xenoverse 2 states that Cooler's base form is his fourth form, showing that he has three unseen lower forms.
It is stated in an issue of Weekly Shonen Jump that Cooler does not need to use lower forms like Frieza's first three forms because Cooler can fully control his power in his true form. Daizenshuu 6 notes that Cooler is able to stay in his true form without worry due to his power being much less than Frieza's in his true form.
This is Cooler's equivalent to Frieza's final form; in comparison, he is taller and has the same color scheme, albeit with more purple than white. He has red stripes under his eyes, and does not have a middle colored spot on his chest like Frieza. He also sports a shiny blue spot on his skull. Unlike his brother (prior to his revival), Cooler is able to stay in it indefinitely because he does not possess overwhelming power on the level of Frieza's, and so does not need to suppress it with lower forms. In this form Cooler is able to fight on par with base Goku.
This form is referred to as Cooler's 3rd form in the Collectible Card Game, while it is named his Fourth Form in Xenoverse 2.
This form is Cooler's most powerful while he has a full organic body. This state is usually referred to as Final Form Cooler. He gets taller, and four horns grow out of his head and form a crown. His deltoid covers evolve into shoulder bows, and two small spikes grow from his forearm covers. He gets blue spots on his legs and arms and his tail gets a white spike; the blue spot in his initial form has now become a full oval on his crown. His face is masked by a visor that covers all except his new pupil-less red eyes, sometimes casting a shadow on it. Unlike most of Frieza's transformations which suppress his power (or release it depending on which form he transforms to), this transformation augments it. It is implied that Cooler had only recently achieved this form, as he states that Goku is the first to witness this form and is able to outmatch him, even when he uses a Kaio-ken powered Kamehameha. However, he is defeated by Goku after he transforms into a Super Saiyan. Like with the prior transformations, Cooler's voice also changes when assuming this form, becoming deeper and a lot more menacing. This form increases Cooler's offensive and defensive capabilities, and it is noted by Goku that upon taking on this form, Cooler's ki becomes even greater than Frieza's.
It is said to be his 4th form in the Collectible Card Game. It is called Cooler (Final Form) in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
Meta-Cooler Core, also known as Metal Cooler's core or Metal Cooler (nucleus), is what the remains of Cooler's organic body becomes after fusing with the Big Gete Star. As his previous defeat at Goku's hands had reduced him to a brain, his right eye, and the upper right half of his face, the Big Gete Star formed an approximation of the rest of his head with metal and wires. Connected to the Big Gete Star by a mass of cables, Cooler has total control over the metallic star's functions and drones (including its Cyclopian Guards and the Meta-Coolers), and he can form a hulking humanoid body from materials inside his "control room" (his Battle Form). This Battle Form boasts high attack power, and is capable of fighting on par Super Saiyan Goku. However, when the Big Gete Star is overloaded with energy Meta-Cooler Core's defence drops dramatically and he is easily dispatched with a single charged ki blast as well as left critically wounded by an Energy Disc cutting off his arm.
While in his standard core form, the Meta-Cooler Core when speaking is not shown moving his mouth, implying that Meta-Cooler Core was utilizing Telepathy. However, when assuming his battle form, his mouth is seen moving when he speaks.
According to the AB Group dub, Meta-Cooler Core is made out of silicon.
Even though Meta-Cooler Core's body was closer in appearance to his fourth form, his voice in this form was closer to that of his fourth transformation.
In Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 and Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World, Meta-Cooler (メタルクウラ Metaru Kūra) appears as an in-game transformation for Cooler (instead of being featured as completely mechanical clone of him) via Cooler's spaceship. Cooler is given this form by being taken up onto his ship and "repaired" in the same way that Frieza becomes Mecha Frieza.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, after training in his fifth form in the Frieza's spaceship missions, Cooler becomes capable of taking on a Metal Cooler form via his Transforming Ability as a transformation higher than his fifth form.
Supervillain Main article: Supervillain
In Xenoverse 2, after being revived alongside Frieza and being upgraded to Metal Cooler he can access a further transformation by shaving off life to achieve his Supervillain form. With his new power, he became strong enough to hold his own against Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta, but was still destroyed in the end along with his brother by the combined might of the 2nd Future Warrior, SSB Goku, and SSB Vegeta. In this form the body color of his Metal Cooler form change to a shade of white or platinum, and his eyes to glow a hot pink color. He also gain a glowing Time Breakers' broken infinity symbol on his forehead, as well as a black and white aura.
Golden Cooler Main article: Golden Cooler
Cooler achieves this form during the Prison Planet Saga, becoming Golden Cooler. Prior to attaining the form Cooler held the belief that since Frieza was able to do it, he too should be able to. When confronting the Evil Saiyan, Cooler pushes himself to achieve this form against the overwhelmingly powerful foe and succeeds. In this form Cooler appears similar to his Fourth Transformation but with the same coloration as Frieza's Golden Frieza state.
Cooler is playable in this form in Super Dragon Ball Heroes, introduced in the second mission of the Universe Mission series (UVM2).
Coolieza Main article: Coolieza
Coolieza strongly resembles Frieza in the Fourth Transformation and wears a single Metamo-Ring on his left arm.
Ultra Fusion Main article: Ultra Fusion As a member of Tekka's Team, Cooler can perform Five-Way Fusion with any four members of the team to create an Ultra Fusion. If initiated by Cooler himself the resulting Ultra Fusion will be a male alien.
Video Game Appearances
Cooler appears as a boss character in Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen, Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku and Shin Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku - Chikyū-Hen, and Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II. In addition to the Ghost Warrior version of Cooler who appears as a boss, dark-red version called Soul Cooler (クウラソウル) appears as a regular enemy in Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku; Soul Cooler's body armor is a light pink/white color, his body is a dark green/red, and the gem on his head is red.
Cooler appears as a playable character as an alternate costume for Frieza in Dragon Ball Z 2 V (a special edition of Budokai 2). He is playable as a separate character in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi, Data Carddass Dragon Ball Z 2, Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2, Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, Dragon Ball Z: Bakuretsu Impact, Dragon Ball Z: W Bakuretsu Impact, Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World, and Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Battlers, Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, Dragon Ball Fusions and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. Along with Salza, he is playable in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Along with his whole squadron, he is playable in Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2, Dragon Ball Heroes (which also includes Ghost Warrior Cooler), and Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle.
In Supersonic Warriors 2, Cooler gets his own story mode that can either follow a standard storyline, or branch off into a few what-if scenarios. In one scenario, Cooler and his mechanized brother join forces to take over the Earth, which ultimately ends in Cooler killing his brother for treachery and then going on to kill King Cold for complete control over the universe. In another scenario, using a Meta-Cooler, Cooler (as the Big Gete Star's core) revives Zarbon, Dodoria, and the Ginyu Force with the Dragon Balls and enlists them into his army. In this storyline, he ultimately defeats a newly perfected Cell, and (in a somewhat comedic ending) he grudgingly agrees to take part in a large group pose with Zarbon, Dodoria and the Ginyu Force.
In Shin Budokai, it is shown that Cooler has a certain sense of pride, and lust for battle. There, he says "My pride won't let me forgive this", and he continues to take Videl hostage, then he quickly releases her after present Gohan agrees to have a one-on-one match. Before finishing him, Gohan asks why Cooler released Videl, to which he replies by first congratulating him on his won battle, and then proceeds to say: "Not because of your naive choice, but because of your conviction... And just before I could act you defeated me... My pride got in the way... Every time we fight I enjoy it, Saiyan."
He has unique dialogue with his father and brother in Budokai Tenkaichi 3: when he fights Frieza, he says "Time to find out who's the strongest in the universe" and if he wins, he will scuff and say "Frieza, you should know better than to challenge your big brother". If he fights King Cold, he says "I will soon carry the legacy of our people". If he wins, he will say "There is nothing to worry about; die in peace". Cooler fused with the Big Gete Star's core is one of the giant bosses in Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, and Dragon Ball Heroes.
While Cooler doesn't appear in Dragon Ball Xenoverse, there are several customization options for Frieza's race based on Cooler such as his Super Evolution's head design and mouth guard. Via customization it is possible to customize a Frieza Race Future Warrior to resemble Cooler's Final or Super forms. Cooler is also mentioned by Frieza if the Future Warrior talks to him while wearing the Battle Suit of Cooler's Armored Squadron.
Cooler is also an assist character in Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden.
- Japanese: Ryūsei Nakao
- Latin American dub: Ricardo Brust
- German dub: Peter Flechtner
- French dub: Frederic Bouraly (movie 5), Georges Lycan (movie 6)
- Italian dub: Maurizio Reti (movie 5, 6 Dynamic dub), Claudio Moneta (movie 5, 6 Mediaset dub)
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Carlos Companile
- Greek Dub: Tzimis Apergis
- Hebrew Dub: Yoram Yosephberg
- Cooler's Revenge
- Cooler (Fourth Form) vs. Goku
- Cooler (Fourth Form) vs. Piccolo
- Cooler (Fourth Form/Final Form) vs. Goku (Base/Super Saiyan)
- The Return of Cooler
- Cooler (Meta-Cooler Core) vs. Goku (Super Saiyan) and Vegeta (Super Saiyan)
- Cooler's name actually comes from the phrase both “meshi demo kūra” (which is roughly the equivalent to "let's chow down" in English) and the word Coola. Originally, both Cooler's and Frieza's Japanese names end in a short "a" vowel, ("Freeza" and "Coola") but many English translations had dropped the "a" and added an "er" at the end due to many of the kana spellings on English words ("Freezer"). However officially, both Frieza and Cooler's original names typically are spelled with an "a" at the end (as opposed to the "Freezer" spelling). Logic would follow that the character's name should, in turn, be spelled in a similar fashion, (as opposed to "Cooler") but this was not the case. FUNimation Entertainment, the company responsible for Dragon Ball's production and distribution in North America and Australia, choose to spell the name as Cooler, despite spelling "Freeza" closer to the original as "Frieza".
- In Dragon Ball Super, Frieza is familiar with Instant Transmission and implies he had past experience fighting people who used it, potentially referencing Cooler.
- Cooler, Garlic Jr., Icarus, and Gogeta are the only movie characters who appear in the anime. Cooler and Broly are also the only movie villains to appear in more than one film as the main antagonist.
- Cooler did not appear in Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn, but he did appear on the movie's cover.
- Cooler's Final Form design bears similarities to the Shredder, the main antagonist in the franchise.
- Despite Cooler claiming that he was stronger than Frieza when he transformed, Toriyama stated that only King Cold and Frieza had abnormally high power levels for their species, and it was stated by Ooishi that while the rest of Frieza's family are strong, Frieza was always in a completely different league. This may simply be the result of Cooler not being a manga-original character.
- It should be noted that Cooler's claim to superiority may just be his fifth form, as his fourth form is said to not be as strong as Frieza's. After Frieza returns and trains for four months, he exceedingly surpasses Cooler.
- In some versions of the FUNimation remastered DVD releases, Cooler's voice in his base form is deeper and has more of a slight echo in his fifth form.
- In Xenoverse 2, unlike Lord Slug and Turles who are revealed to originate from alternate timelines where their films take place, Cooler's timeline of origin is never specified, however, an incarnation of Cooler exists in the main timeline as Frieza recognizes his brother when he appears on Planet Namek after being transported there by Towa.
Main article: Cooler/Gallery
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Dragon Ball Fusions, 2016
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Daizenshuu 6, 1995
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Cooler's Height Conundrum. coronajumper.
- ↑ Daizenshuu 7
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi, 2011
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, 2014
- ↑ Dragon Ball Heroes, 2010
- ↑ If Cooler is allied with during the missions on Frieza's spaceship, he will transform into Metal Cooler after training. In the altered timeline of Frieza's Revenge, he is upgraded into Metal Cooler after being revived by Shenron.
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z Movie 05. Kanzenshuu.
- ↑ Daizenshuu 6, 1995