Counting Down (いでよ神龍! サイヤ人ついに地球到着, Ide yo Shenron! Saiya-jin Tsui ni Chikyu Tochaku) is the twenty-first episode of the Vegeta Saga in the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. This episode first aired on September 27, 1989. Its original American air date was July 13, 2005.
Goku tests the power of the Spirit Bomb, a life-energy ball technique which he learned along with the Kaio-ken from King Kai himself. Unexpectedly, the Saiyans enter the solar system a whole month earlier than anticipated and will reach Earth the next day. They thought it was not a problem until King Kai realizes that he failed to include the time it would take Goku to return to the world below.
Goku contacts Master Roshi telepathically through King Kai to tell him to summon Shenron with the Dragon Balls and bring him back to life immediately. Master Roshi, Bulma, Oolong and Puar release the dragon, and Oolong wonders out loud if they can't wish the Saiyans to defeat. Shenron answers that he would be unable to fulfill such a wish, since the Saiyan's power is greater than that of Kami, his creator. So instead, they wish Goku back to life.
Goku says his farewells, and streaks back along Snake Way; King Kai estimates that it will now take him just over a day to reach the end. The next day, at 11:43 a.m., the Saiyans' space pods land in the heart of East City.
- Goku uses the Spirit Bomb for the first time on screen.
- The Saiyans land on Earth.
- The toilet in Kame House is shown to be in a room of its own when the toilet previously was in the same room as the bath throughout all of Dragon Ball, like bathrooms in western countries. It is possible the house has multiple bathrooms or has been renovated since then, as five years passed between the events of the original Dragon Ball series and Dragon Ball Z.
- The calendar by the toilet at Kame House has 1989 as the year, which is the same year that Dragon Ball Z and this episode first aired in Japan.
- Goku is revived in this episode.
- The wish from Shenron later brought forth (or spawned) Rage Shenron.
- The dialogue regarding the King Kai symbol on Goku's new gi is radically different in the Japanese and American versions. In the original Japanese version, Goku sees his Turtle School symbol on the front and is happy Kai did not put on "that ugly Kai symbol", only to find it on the back. In the American version, Goku's dialogue is completely the opposite, he wants to have the Kai symbol because he trained under King Kai and wears the symbol "with pride".
- This is the first episode to use music from Dead Zone.
- This is the second time an attempt to wish for the instant defeat of a villain was mentioned, but it was never used, since killing Vegeta and Nappa is impossible for Shenron as he was created by Kami who is weaker than either Nappa or Vegeta (some mistakenly believe it is because Shenron can't kill people at all, when reality all Shenron said was that he cannot grant a wish that exceeds the power of his creator, thus he was unable to defeat and/or kill Nappa and Vegeta as they where stronger than Kami).