"You fool, die!"
To perform the technique, the user extends his right arm and fires a small, thin, very fast and concentrated laser-like beam of ki from his index finger, which barrels down and pierces through the opponent. The user is able to fire the attack very quickly, while maintaining precise aim.
On Namek, Frieza uses the attack multiple times. In the Dragon Ball manga, he uses the attack to kill Cargo (while it's Dodoria's Mouth Energy Wave that murdered the young Namekian in the anime). In the anime, Frieza uses the technique for the first time to kill a Namekian warrior as part of the Chaotic Dead End technique. Frieza uses this attack in attempt to kill Gohan. Frieza uses the attack again to murder Vegeta and to attack Goku several times, heavily wounding Piccolo during one attempt. Later, the tyrant performs the technique on Goku but does no damage at all.
Appearance in Video Games
This attack usually appears as a Super Attack for Frieza in Dragon Ball video games, though games featuring Cell and Cooler as playable characters also include them as users. It appears in the Butōden series, the Budokai series, Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2, the Budokai Tenkaichi series, the Raging Blast games, Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale, and Dragon Ball Heroes.
In Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, the technique appears as one of Final Form Frieza and base Cooler's Unique attacks, with Cooler's version being called Death Laser. Depending on how long he locks on an opponent, the user will either fire one Death Beam or a Barrage Death Beam. The attack is Perfect Cell's Blast Spark in the game.
"Imput commands as a series to launch up to 3 Ki Blasts quickly!"
— Dragon Ball: Xenoverse in-game description
In Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, the Death Beam is one of Frieza's Super Skills, and can be fired three times in a row by re-inputting the commands. The Future Warrior can learn this skill from Frieza by taking Frieza on as a Master and completing Frieza's Training Qualification Mission. The Death Beam also appears as one of Perfect Cell's Super Skills in his 2nd skillset. As part of the GT Pack 2, Mira uses the Death Beam Super Skill as part of his 1st skillset. Also in the Resurrection ‘F’ Pack DLC, there is a Ultimate Skill version of the technique used by Golden Frieza called Emperor's Death Beam which can also be obtained by the Future Warrior. Frieza can use the attack in Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle.
The Death Beam has a few variations:
- Death Razor – A variation of the Death Beam used by Chilled. He extends his index finger forward as he was charging a regular Death Beam, but he instead fires several pink beams simultaneously, creating a giant explosion.
- Death Bullet – A weak but incredibly fast burst of energy fired from the index finger. Used by Frieza in his third form.
- Full Power Death Bullet – A stronger variation of the Death Bullet. Used by Frieza in his third form.
- Crazy Finger Beam – A two-handed rapid fire version used by Frieza in his 3rd Form against Piccolo. It is performed by firing multiple Death Beams from both hands (fired from the middle and index fingers) in a very rapid succession.
- Barrage Death Beam – A single-handed, rapid fire version used by Frieza in his Final Form. It is performed like a normal Death Beam, but Frieza fires multiple beams from his index finger instead of a single beam. Frieza used this move during his first encounter with Goku but the Saiyan was able deflect them all with just one hand (much to Frieza's surprise) and again Frieza used the technique on Goku but the Super Saiyan was able to dodge all (much to Frieza's shock) sans the last one, which was intentional. Perfect Cell used this move against Gohan, but the young Super Saiyan was able to dodge all the beams.
- Unnamed twirling Finger Beam attack – A twirling Finger Beam attack which is fired in the same way as a Death Beam. It is prepared as red, blue, and purple colored energy which forms a circle, and is then shot as a green twirling Finger Beam. Used by Final Form Frieza in the Nintendo DS game Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu.
- Destructive Ray – An Eye Laser attack, referred to as Death Beam by Cooler after he uses it attack Goku in the movie Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge. The attack has the user fire a non-piercing beam from each eye. Also called Darkness Eye Beam.
- Chaotic Dead End – A version of the Death Beam used by Cooler in his base form. Cooler shoots a regular Death Beam through the opponent's chest, followed by a few energy spheres to the falling opponent, inflicting a huge amount of damage. Used against Piccolo in order to take care of him so he wouldn't cause anymore trouble in Cooler's mission.
- Clone Death Laser – A combined Death Beam attack utilized by the Meta-Coolers. A Meta-Cooler summons two more, and the three of them then fire blue Death Lasers.
- Full Power Death Beam – A full-powered version of the Death Beam, which is fired like a normal Death Beam, but the beam is wider, brighter, and it has far more power. This attack was used by Super Perfect Cell to kill Future Trunks.
- Dual Tech – A team attack which is the combination of Frieza's Death Beam and Cell's Ultimate Blitz. They were about to use this on Goku frozen in Hell before he escaped the ice.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game, 2000
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, 2014
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2, 2003
- ↑ Dragon Ball Heroes, 2010
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Dragon Ball Xenoverse
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden, 1993
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 84, "Dende's Demise"
- ↑ Frieza's attack on Piccolo was either directly in the manga or the result of Piccolo pushing Goku out of the way in the anime
- ↑ Dragon Ball Heroes, 2011
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit, 2008
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Budokai Tenkaichi video game series
- ↑ http://imgur.com/5OxY3OO
- ↑ Budokai video game series
- ↑ Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2, 2010