To use it, Frieza puts his middle and index fingers together and charges an energy sphere on the tips. He then swings the energy sphere around, creating a large Death Beam in the form of a giant, razor-sharp energy blade that can slice through anything.
Usage and Power
Frieza uses this attack during his battle against Goku on Namek. Frieza is beating Goku around and Goku soon lands on a cliff. Frieza then charges and fires his Death Wave at Goku and it appears that Goku is killed. However, when Goku opens his eyes, it is revealed that Frieza aimed the attack away to carve a fissure going across the entire circumference of the planet.
- Emperor's Edge - A stronger fiery gold & red colored version used by Golden Frieza & the Future Warrior as a Super Skill in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, part of the Resurrection ‘F’ Pack DLC.
- Shockwave Cutter: An attack used by Cell thanks to Frieza's cells. it was used to help create the Cell Game Arena.
- Chaos Wave - Frost's version of the Death Wave.
- Hi-Speed Earth Breaker - A stronger version of Death Wave introduced in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- S Hi-Speed Earth Breaker - An even stronger version of Death Wave which is stronger than Hi-Speed Earth Breaker and was introduced in Dragon Ball Fusions.
Video Game Appearances
This technique is called Frieza Cutter (フリーザカッター) in Dragon Ball Z: Legend of the Super Saiyan, and it is also a technique used by Ghost Raichi in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game under the same name.
In the Butōden series, Frieza can use a more powerful version in addition to the regular one. It is called Explosive Breaker in Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22. Frieza also uses the technique in Dragon Ball Z: The Legend, Super Dragon Ball Z (called Flex Laser), and Dragon Ball: Tap Battle.
It is called Death Wave (デスウェーブ) in the Budokai series and the Supersonic Warriors series; in the later installments of the Budokai series, the attack is a close range move where pillars of decreasing size appear. In Dragon Ball Z 2 V, it can be used by Cooler and Kuriza, due to both of them being alternate costumes for Frieza.
Its name was Energy Cutter in the first Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi, but it was changed to Fissure Slash in Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3. It is named Death Slicer (デススライサー) in Dragon Ball Heroes. Frieza also uses the technique in J-Stars Victory Vs as one of his special attacks.
"Fire a fast, blade-shaped Ki Blast. Careful: After you fire, you'll be wide open!"
— Dragon Ball Xenoverse Death Slash Skill description
In Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, its name was changed again to Death Slash and is one of Frieza's Super Skills. The Future Warrior can also obtain the skill in Parallel Quest 12: "Fierce Battle! Ginyu Force". Golden Frieza a Super Skill variation called Emperor's Edge which is part of the Resurrection ‘F’ Pack DLC. Emperor's Edge can also be obtained by the Future Warrior as well.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Death Slash returns as one of Frieza and Cooler's Super Skills. Emperor's Edge also appears as one of Golden Frieza's Super Skills which can be purchased by the Future Warrior at the TP Medal Shop (which is open from Friday to Sunday) or transferred over from Xenoverse.
"Fires a Ki Blast that slashes an opponent vertically!"
— Dragon Ball Xenoverse Death Wave Skill description
Additionally there is a new version of the attack which appears under the name Death Wave and is a Super Skill used by Frieza in his final form and 100% Final Form. It can also be obtained by the Future Warrior by completing Expert Mission 05: "The Galactic Tyrant". Death Wave produces a vertically slash wave. After the 1.09.00 Update, Death Wave can be added to Dodoria's custom skillset after purchasing it for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization. It also appears as part of 1st Form Frieza's custom skillset along with Death Slash (no cost) and Emperor's Edge (costs 5 TP). Death Slash can be added to Cooler's custom skillset as well.
In the fourth promotional trailer for Dragon Ball Heroes, after interfering with Wings' slaughter of various Toadmen and doing battle with Wings, the Frieza's race Hero Froze uses a Death Wave to attack Lord Slug.
In Dragon Ball Fusions, Death Wave appears under the name Earth Breaker (not to be confused with Earth Breaker the technique Frieza used to destroy Earth in the Golden Frieza Saga) which can be used as a Special Move by certain characters such as Frieza, Cooler, and several other characters. There is also two stronger versions called Hi-Speed Earth Breaker and S Hi-Speed Earth Breaker.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 U.S. version, 2003
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, 2015
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, 2016
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Dragon Ball Fusions, 2016
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 (Japanese version), 2004
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Dragon Ball Z 2 V, 2004
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, 1.09.00 Update DLC
- ↑ Dragonball Evolution video game, 2009
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, Resurrection ‘F’ Pack DLC