The Demon Realm (魔界 Makai), also called Devil World (悪魔界 Akumakai), and sometimes the Dark Demon Realm (暗黒魔界 Ankoku Makai)), is located at the very tip of the universe in the Dragon Ball series, and is not a part of the living world or Other World. It is described as a physical plane opposite of the known universe.
The Demon Realm is home to evil races - most notably some of the Demon races - who are led by Makaioshin, evil god entities, and the God of the Demon Realm: Demigra. The strongest evil to have existed in the Demon Realm was Mechikabura in his prime. The realm is outside of the domain of the Supreme Kais, and so not even they are fully aware of what is down there. Not much is said about the realm in the Dragon Ball manga, other than the fact that it was once ruled by Dabura. The Demon Realm also acts as a hideout for mages such as Bibidi and his son Babidi.
In Dragon Ball, Shula, another king of the Demon World, manages to open a giant entrance to the Demon Realm on Earth and keeps it open for a while by wedging his cursed sword in its door. Goku manages to save Princess Misa, who has been kidnapped and taken to the Demon Realm by Shula. Then, Goku pulls out Shula's sword and closes off the entrance to Demon World.
In Dragon Ball Z, when Babidi asks Dabura if he has any preferences on which planet he wants to fight Dabura responds "Perhaps a planet similar to this one. I don't want unfair advantages." The area they are transported is called Demon World in Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury.
Sometime before Age 850 the Demon Realm was sealed away. It was said that if the seal was broken chaos would erupt in the universe. Towa and her Time Breaker army aimed to release the realm, and so she and Mira headed out to collect enough energy to break the seal.
Demon Realm energy
The Demon Realm is filled with a powerful unique type of Dark Energy, this energy greatly powers up members of the Demon Realm race when they are present in the Demon Realm, and allows them to take on the Darkness form. This energy is unusable due to the seal on the Demon Realm, however a special Dark Energy was developed by demons so they could utilize this drastic power up outside of the Demon Realm.
Video Game Appearances
In Dragon Ball Heroes, Xeno Trunks, the Time Patrol, and the avatars fight Towa, Mira and the rest of their forces in the Demon Realm. The Demon Realm's appearance looks similar to Planet Namek, except the trees, grass and sky are purple in color. There is a huge tree trunk in the center of the world with a glowing red core. The outer look of the world looks like two planets combined with red longitudes and latitudes, with both moving at the same time. The Demon Realm also appears as a battle stage in the game. Demigra's Castle is also shown to be located in the Demon Realm, it appears as a huge tree with numerous towers at its top, Mechikabura's Castle also appears in the realm as a huge tree-like tower.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Towa exposes some of the Fruit of the Tree of Might to the effects of the Demon Realm in order to amplify its effects, resulting in the creation of the Demon Realm-enhanced strain of the Fruit. Presumably exposure to the environment of the Demon Realm alters and amplifies (possibly via mutation or corruption) the fruit (which is stated by Elder Kai and Turles to be divine fruit originally only to be consumed the gods). Towa also reveals her desire is to see Demon Realm become one with the rest of the universe in order to create what she poetically calls a "garden of evil, blooming with rage and pain.
By the time of Dragon Ball Fusions, some Namekians had chosen to live in the Demon Realm, however many turned evil as a result of living in the Demon Realm. Additionally the Offworlder Mirayo is revealed to have been a former Demon Queen who once ruled over Demon Realm. Demon Realm is also home to the Majin Superstar Troupe PePiLu which is a dance troupe consisting of their leader and demon pop idol Pipila as well as her two Majin backup dancers, Petrona and Lullus.
- Demons – The primary race who inhabit the Demon Realm.
- Dabura – Originally the king, but taken away after falling into Babidi's spell. He is killed by Majin Buu in Age 774. Later returns as a Demon God of the Dark Empire.
- Shula – Referred to as king during his appearance in Dragon Ball.
- Melee – Demon Realm guardian.
- Gola – Demon Realm guardian.
- Janemba – Janemba's profile in Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury states that he was once an organized crime boss in the Demon Realm.
- Mira – An artificial demon created from the DNA of various masters. Succeeded Dabura as king. One of the leaders of the Time Breakers alongside Towa and father of their son Fu.
- Towa – A female scientist from the Demon World who created the artificial demon Mira to be the Ultimate Warrior. One of the leaders of the Time Breakers who seeks to connect Demon Realm with the rest of the Universe to turn it into a hellish place full of hatred and pain. Granted the Demon God power by Mechikabura. Mother of Fu.
- Fu - The male offspring of the Demon Scientist Towa and the artificial demon Mira.
- Demigra – A Demon God, and God of the Demon Realm, originally a wizard from Other World, 75 Million Before Age he was banished to the Demon Realm (which he then helped establish) when he attempted to steal Tokitoki and gain power over time and space but was stopped by Chronoa.
- Mechikabura - The strongest evil to ever exist in the Demon Realm, and the true leader of the Dark Empire.
- Mirayo - A melee combat queen who once dominated and ruled over Demon Realm as Queen. Many both fear and admire her beauty and strength. She is among several fighters that participate in the Timespace Tournament inside the Timespace Rift. A character from Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Pipila - A famous pop idol in Demon Realm and leader of the Majin Superstar Troupe PePiLu. Despite being an entertainer by trade, she is a capable fighter like other members of the Demon Realm race and participated in the Timespace Tournament when her dance troupe was transported to the Timespace Rift. A character from Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Yamma - An evil demon martial artist who excels in odd powers that allow him to spew out ice, flame, and paralyze opponents. Originally from Demon Realm he finds himself in the Timespace Rift and causes trouble for Tekka's Team and the Saiya Squad, as well as attacking Goku's mother Gine when she tries to stop him and his cohorts in attacking a Saiyan to prevent him from becoming a Super Saiyan but is defeated by Tekka's Team and Kid Goku. Summons allies from Demon Realm which being chased by Tekka's Team, though is later captured by Tekka's Team and handed over to the Saiya Squad. A character in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Halto - A Demon swordsman who is silent and tranquil, yet deeply desires strength and dedicated to his daily training. An ally of Yamma who he summons from Demon Realm to aid him against Tekka's Team in the Timespace Rift. A character from Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Master of the Demon World - A character mentioned by Dabura in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road who resembles Janemba.
- Lullus - A Majin dancer and member of the Majin Superstar Troupe PePiLu. In addition to being one of Pipila's backup dancers she also works as Pipila's bodyguard to protect her from unwanted admirers or overzealous fans, though she tends to somewhat overprotective. A character from Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Petrona - An innocent tomboyish Majin girl and member of the Majin Superstar Troupe PePiLu. Like Lullus, she works as Pipila's bodyguard, though she is new to fighting, but makes up for this using her Majin abilities and guts. A character from Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Ghiro - A Namekian who turned evil in the Demon Realm and learned to fight like how Demons do. An ally of Yamma who he summons from Demon Realm to aid him against Tekka's Team in the Timespace Rift. A character from Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Ryuto - A Namekian who turned evil while living in the Demon Realm and uses absurd magic. A character in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Toronbon - A worker-type Namekian who studied strange arts while living in Demon Realm. A character in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- In Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, Chronoa and Burter both reference Demon Realm and Hell as being the same location.
- In Japanese Buddhism, the realm of demons is called Makyo (lit. "Demon's Cave") like the planet of Garlic Jr.'s ancestors in the series.
- The area Dabura and the Z Fighters are transported looks strikingly similar to the planet where Babidi recruits Dabura seen in a flashback in "Eighteen Unmasks".
- ↑ Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ Dragon Ball Heroes, 2015
- ↑ Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Dark Demon Realm Mission!, Chapter 1
- ↑ Dark Demon Realm Foundation Saga
- ↑ Dragon Ball Full Color: Majin Buu Arc Q&As
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 226, "Pay to Win"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8 Dragon Ball Fusions, 2016
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road
|Universe 1 · Universe 2 · Universe 3 · Universe 4 · Universe 5 · Universe 6 · Universe 7 · Universe 8 · Universe 9 · Universe 10 · Universe 11 · Universe 12|