A Dirty magazine (スケベ本 Sukebe Bon) is a type of book with images mostly involving women completely in the nude, partially nude, or performing pornographic acts while nude.
Master Roshi has a huge collection of them, which he is commonly seen viewing throughout the series. Ninja Murasaki of the Red Ribbon Army is also seen to have a collection hidden in a hut on his floor in Muscle Tower. It is also revealed that Dr. Brief collects them, even though he is married; Bulma accidentally switches capsule cases with him and ends up seeing the magazines in one of the capsules in it during the General Blue Saga.
Krillin gave one of these to Roshi in order for him to take him as his pupil. Krillin had several more that Master Roshi found after Krillin fell through the Flying Nimbus. In "Until We Meet Again", Krillin berates Roshi for still reading them, only for Roshi to respond that Krillin reads them as well.
Old Kai also reads dirty magazines. As a matter of fact, one of Goku's first bribes to him was loaning him some of Master Roshi's magazines, much to Gohan shock and Shin's chagrin. However, he indicated during that time that he had no real need for them to be satisfied due to him using omniscient vision to watch girls play volleyball on the beach/strip down (depending on the version).
In Dragon Ball Super, after the third destructive shockwave produced by Goku and Beerus' Energy Clash, Old Kai shows Kibito Kai one of his Dirty magazines depicting a scantly clad blonde woman as a final goodbye (as he believes the universe is about to end), only for Kibito Kai to knock it away in anger to Old Kai's shock.
Video Game Appearances
In Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku, the magazines must be collected and returned to Roshi at the beginning of the game. In Dragon Ball Z: Budokai, a magazine can be seen laying on a table in front of Kame House in the first level's opening cutscene. The cover of said magazine cannot be seen, but with emulator tools, the game camera can be moved to see that the cover is, unsurprisingly, a nude woman (albeit blurry). In Dragon Ball: Origins, Krillin uses the dirty magazines as a bribe to become Master Roshi's student, just like he did in the anime/manga. In Dragon Ball: Origins 2, in the bonus level 3-5, Dr. Brief wants Bulma to retrieve the dirty magazine capsule Bulma left on General Blue's Camp island; it is revealed in this level that the magazines were found by Master Roshi, who hid them on the island because he can't read them at Kame House. They appear under the title Naughty Book in Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, during the animated epilogue after Mira's defeat, Elder Kai can be seen reading a dirty magazine while walking around Conton City's Recreation Plaza. However he is so focused on his book that the doesn't notice that Beerus is right in his path causing him to bump into the God of Destruction. Beerus notes he almost dropped his food and angrily wonders who it was before noticing it was Elder Kai and calms down, though he gets angry when Elder Kai grumbles about Beerus' presence still holding a grudge for Beerus sealing him inside the Z Sword, loud enough that Beerus is able to hear him. He prepares to destroy Elder Kai, though fortunately Whis defuses the situation by offering them some food which they both try.
- A magazine that features males was among the dirty magazines Krillin gave to Master Roshi. The word "Homo" can be seen on it.
- Bulma is extremely embarrassed that her father collects them despite the fact he is married.
- In Dragon Ball Origins 2, Bulma is even mortified by the idea of someone finding her father's dirty magazines (when she discovered her father had wrote his name in them) that she returns to retrieve their capsule in a sub-level, only to fail to her utter embarrassment though unbeknownst to her fortunately they were found by Master Roshi who apparently keeps them as his own "private" collection.
- In real life, it is not uncommon for married men to collect dirty magazines.
- In the same scene, Goku also expressed confusion about why the girls were naked and yet not taking baths, and also feeling sorry for them when he thought they were too poor to afford clothes, owing to his more innocent nature and thus not understanding what was actually going on in the magazine.
- Goku himself has no sense of shame when it comes to being nude himself which is probably why he is more confused than shocked by their nudity. However as he gets older he does recognize that dirty magazines are perverted and recognizes perversion in others as he notes similarities between Master Roshi and Old Kai, even trying to bribe him with the promise of some of Master Roshi's magazines but Old Kai declines. However Goku himself retains a pure heart free of perversion despite being married (In Dragon Ball Super, Goku himself notes he is attracted to Chi-Chi's feisty strong willed personality) and having fathered children.