Dragon Ball Z: Lord Slug (ドラゴンボールZ 超サイヤ人だ孫悟空, Doragon Bōru Zetto: Sūpā Saiyajin da Son Gokū; lit. "Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiyan Son Goku") is the fourth Dragon Ball Z movie. It was originally released in Japan on March 19, 1991, between episodes 81 and 82, and later released in America by FUNimation Entertainment in 2001. AB Group's title is Super Saiyan Son Goku. It is the first Dragon Ball Z movie (not counting the later Ultimate Uncut edition of the previous movies), but the third feature (the Bardock - The Father of Goku and History of Trunks specials were dubbed a year before), to be dubbed with FUNimation's English in-house voice cast.
An asteroid alert is wreaking havoc all over the planet as it is going to destroy the entire Earth. Goku and Krillin go to deflect the asteroid off course so it does not hit Earth (In the FUNimation dub, they have been told they cannot destroy it because it is inhabited, and at the time they do not know who inhabits it). They attempt to move it using a combined Kamehameha, but to no avail; they are blown away by the fierce winds produced by the near-clash of the asteroid with Earth.
The asteroid passes near Earth but misses the crash, exploding soon afterward. However, a spaceship from the asteroid lands on Earth, full of soldiers who serve Lord Slug. Along with his crew of vicious fighters, he has traveled space, conquering planets with Earth as his new target. The way they dominate a planet is to literally change its atmosphere by terra-freezing the planet. By conforming it to their liking, they make it more suitable for themselves; it may be almost unbearable for any other people, including the native occupants of the planet. Later they transform the planet into a giant spaceship (known as a Planet Cruiser), and move on to find a new planet to conquer. Previously in the film, they intentionally destroyed their own craft to make Earth their new Planet Cruiser.
A nearby Gohan attempts to stop Slug's soldiers. Slug notices the Dragon Ball Gohan has on his hat and obtains it. After reading Bulma's mind, Slug learns about the Dragon Balls and how to get them. Lord Slug sends his minions to gather the Dragon Balls via the Radar (which he steals from Bulma after his mind-reading), and uses them to restore his youth and health (Slug at this point has aged incredibly old).
Later, Gohan manages to infiltrate Slug's camp with Oolong & Icarus, but is quickly discovered & outnumbered by his soldiers. Just as he is about to be killed, Piccolo appears and rescues Gohan. The two put up a fight (with Piccolo killing Wings), but are no match for Lord Slug's other two henchmen. As they are about to be finished, Goku and Krillin arrive and save them. Goku easily dispatches of the henchmen and is soon confronted by Lord Slug, who has been watching all along from his spaceship. Slug proves stronger than Goku in the ensuing fight, and pummels him around. As Goku is on the verge of dying, he catches Slug's intended death blow and transforms into a Super Saiyan. With his new power, Goku easily dominates Slug and destroys one of his arms.
Slug then reveals his Namekian nature by regrowing his arm and removing his helmet, and transforms into a giant version of himself. King Kai reveals that Slug was one of the rare Super Nameks; as a child, he was sent to a planet called Slug to escape the extinction that was about to ravage Namek (akin to what Katas did for Kami). Once there, only the evil in his heart began to fester through his maturation, because of a rare mutation only unique to Namekians. This domination of evil allowed him to become a Super Namek (In FUNimation's dub, Slug's backstory was entirely changed: Super Nameks were Namekians who began to misuse their power to the point that the regular Namekians used Porunga to banish them from Namek forever). In this new giant form, Slug proves to be stronger than Goku; King Kai guesses that Frieza, and even a Super Saiyan are no match against him in this form.
Piccolo intervenes and starts tugging at Slug's tentacles, saying he knows his weaknesses because he's Namekian too. Although he's being beaten back, in a bloody move, Piccolo tears off his ears and tells Gohan to whistle since the wavelength of it makes it sound terrible to Namekians. Gohan's whistling is able to bring Slug to his knees.
Piccolo gives what little strength he has left to Goku. Thanks to Piccolo, Goku is able to use the Kaio-ken and punch a hole through Slug's stomach. Goku then flies up above the clouds to deliver the final blow to the terra-freezer with a Spirit Bomb powered by the sun; Slug maniacally tries to thwart him. The Spirit Bomb heads straight into the freezing generator, taking Slug with it and destroying him. The atmosphere is back to normal on Earth.
Following Slug's defeat, the friends reunite and are given Senzu Beans by Yajirobe. The final scene involves Master Roshi waking up from his nap which he started before the aliens landed, and he wishes that something interesting would have happened.
Daizenshuu 6 also notes that the movie would take place around the time of the fight with Frieza on Namek, specifically between Goku's arrival on Namek and Goku's transformation into a Super Saiyan.
The only time that the movie could take place is in the three years the Z Fighters are training to prepare for the Androids. Goku is seen driving a car with Krillin in the credits, and he got his license during the three-year preparation for the Androids. Also, this film presumably takes place at least one year after the events of Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might; when Lord Slug is reading Bulma's mind, one of the images is Krillin, Bulma, and Oolong summoning Shenron with the outfits they wear at the beginning of The Tree of Might.
The movie was originally released on both VHS and Laserdisc in Japan. They were in a 16:9 format, cropped from its original 4:3 format. It was then released later in Japan as part of the well-known Dragon Box sets, remastered from its original film masters and in a 16:9 anamorphic widescreen format. There was much controversy from fans over the decision to crop the movies from its original 4:3 format. The controversy died down when Toei announced that the films were originally animated for widescreen viewing. The boxed set was released (containing all four Dragon Ball and all [originally] thirteen Dragon Ball Z movies) with great critical and audience reception.
In the United States, it was released in August 7, 2001 by FUNimation, in VHS, Laserdisc, and DVD. It was released in a 4:3 format. The movie was later re-released on October 15, 2002, bundled with Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge and Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler.
FUNimation re-released this film in September 16, 2008, alongside the third movie, Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might, digitally remastered and in a 16:9 format, as a "Double Feature" DVD and Blu-ray.
FUNimation also released Lord Slug with Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone, Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest, Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might, and Cooler's Revenge on November 1, 2011. These are the same disks on the double features, however.
In 2015, Lord Slug will once again be re-released along with DBZ Movie 1-13 in the Dragon Ball Z: Complete Movie Collection in DVD and Blu-ray format. No release date has been made yet.
- Opening Theme (OP): "Cha-La Head-Cha-La"
- Intermission Song (IN): "Kuchibue no Kimochi"
- Ending Theme (ED): "“Ya” na Koto ni wa Genki-Dama!!"
- FUNimation Dub
- Finger Eleven - Drag You Down
- Finger Eleven - First Time
- Dust for Life - Seed
- Dust for Life - Dragonfly
- American Pearl - Automatic
- Dust for Life - Step Into The Light
- Disturbed - Fear
- American Pearl - Free Your Mind
- Boy Hits Car - The Rebirth
- Deftones - Elite
- Disturbed - Stupify
- Boy Hits Car - I'm A Cloud
- Breaking Point - Coming Of Age
- Gohan & Chi-Chi vs. Lord Slug Soldiers
- Piccolo vs. Wings
- Gohan vs. Medamatcha
- Piccolo vs. Medamatcha & Angila
- Goku vs. Medamatcha & Angila
- Goku & Krillin vs. Slug
- Goku vs. Slug
- Goku (False Super Saiyan) vs. Slug
- Goku vs. Slug (Great Namek)
- Piccolo vs. Slug (Great Namek)
- Goku vs. Slug (Great Namek)
- Kamehameha - Used by Goku and Krillin in an attempt to destroy the meteorite approaching Earth, unaware it was Lord Slug's spaceship. Also attempted to be used by Goku against Lord Slug's Giant Form.
- Multiple Kamehameha - Used by Goku and Krillin.
- Finger Beam - Used by Lord Slug to suddenly kill Commander Zeeun and Gyoshu in his spaceship.
- Energy Wave - Used by Lord Slug's footsoldiers to attack the population of Earth, and later Gohan.
- Telekinesis - Used by Lord Slug to drag Bulma close to him.
- Telepathy - Used by Lord Slug to extract information about the Dragon Balls from Bulma.
- Masenko - Used by Gohan to attack the numerous fleet of Lord Slug's footsoldiers.
- Evil Gravity - Used by Wings against Piccolo, but it was easily dodged.
- Darkness Twin Star - Used by Lord Slug in his spaceship, enjoying his newly-restored youth.
- Evil Comet - Used by Medamatcha against Gohan.
- Medas - Used by Medamatcha to incapacitate Gohan, and later used against Goku to no avail.
- Mystic Attack - Used by Angila to attack Piccolo before he could save Gohan. Later used by Giant Lord Slug to capture Goku.
- Eye Laser - Used by Piccolo to counter Angila's Mystic Attack.
- Full Power Energy Wave - Used by Medamatcha in an attempt to finish off Gohan, but was blocked by Piccolo's body.
- Full Power Energy Blast Volley - Used by Medamatcha and Angila to desperately attack Piccolo while shielding Gohan with his body. Later used by False Super Saiyan Goku to assault Lord Slug.
- Explosive Wave - Used by Goku to obliterate Medamatcha's Medas while they were grabbing him.
- Evil Quasar - Used by Angila to attack Goku, but the blast was deflected back into Angila's mouth.
- Kaio-ken Finish - The finishing portion of the attack was used by Goku to defeat Medamatcha.
- Energy Shield - Used by Lord Slug to counter Goku's Ki Blast soon after engaging him in battle.
- Darkness Eye Beam - Used by Lord Slug in both his regular and Giant forms to attack Goku.
- Power of Darkness - Used by Lord Slug to assault Goku.
- Regeneration - Used by Lord Slug to regenerate his broken arm from Goku. Later used by Piccolo to regenerate his ears, which were ripped off by him.
- Darkness Blaster - Used by Giant Slug point blank against Goku, but the Saiyan managed to block it in time.
- Crushing in Hands - Used by Giant Slug against Goku.
- Kaio-ken - Used by Goku to create a hole through Lord Slug's stomach.
- Spirit Bomb - Used by Goku to finish off Lord Slug, destroying him along with his spaceship.
The movie was released in theaters in Japan on March 9th 1991 and was part of a double feature alongside Magical Taluluto: The Movie. It grossed a total of ¥1.3 billion (US $9.4 million) and was the 11th highest grossing movie of the year domestically. 
- A truck bearing the logo "TAMA" and the cat's face, is caught in the flood caused by the asteroid early in the film.
- Angila and Wings, two of Slug's top henchmen, strongly resemble Zarbon and Dodoria respectively.
- In the scene where Chi-Chi realizes Gohan has disappeared from home, a poster of Arale Norimaki from Akira Toriyama's previous hit series Dr. Slump can be seen in Gohan's room.
- A McDonald's fast food restaurant can be seen in the background of Iguana Street.
- Based on the shocked reaction of King Kai to Goku's "Super Saiyan" form, it does not appear that Goku assumed the "true" Super Saiyan transformation within this film's past. Created for the movie, this Super Saiyan form (known as "False Super Saiyan" among fans) is a supposed prequel to the actual Super Saiyan form. It was more than likely an attempt to show what a Super Saiyan looked like (due to its mention by Vegeta during the Captain Ginyu Saga), but without the knowledge of its appearance since the movie was released before the true form was introduced to the manga/anime.
- It is the second time that a Namekian wishes for eternal youth, as well as the second time that a Namekian transforms into its Giant Form in the series. Slug is similar to King Piccolo in this sense, as he is old and wishes for eternal youth
- The movie reveals that Namekian ears are sensitive to certain high pitched sounds like whistling.
- Lord Slug is killed in a similar manner to Turles from the previous movie, The Tree of Might. Both are hit by Goku with a Spirit Bomb and knocked into their device used to do evil things to the Earth (Tree of Might for Turles, and Terra Freeze machine for Slug), destroying it as well.
- The Sun plays an important role in this movie: its light is shown to be harmful to an exposed henchmen of Lord Slug, and it is where Goku gathers the energy to make the Spirit Bomb.
- The 13th Shunsuke Kikuchi music package for the franchise starts here. The cues were designated "M11XX" codes, and this package would make its series debut in Namek's Destruction.
- ↑ http://www.kanzenshuu.com/movie/dbz-04/
- ↑ Dragon Ball Daizenshuu 6: Movies & TV Specials (p. 70) http://www.kanzenshuu.com/movie/dbz-04/
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 172, "A New Guardian"
- ↑ "Dragonball Z: Lord Slug (1996)", amazon.com
- ↑ "Dragon Ball Z - Movies 4-5-6 (Lord Slug/Cooler's Revenge/The Return of Cooler) (1996)", amazon.com
- ↑ "Dragon Ball Z Double Feature: Tree of Might / Lord Slug (Steelbook Packaging) (2008)", amazon.com
- ↑ http://www.eiren.org/toukei/1991.html