Explosive Demon Wave (爆力魔波, Bakurikimaha; lit. "Bursting Power Demon Wave") is a very powerful energy wave shot from a single hand, with the other arm supporting the one that is firing the attack. Like the Special Beam Cannon, it is one of Piccolo's signature techniques.
The Explosive Demon Wave was King Piccolo's most potent attack he used against Goku twice. The first time it destroys all of Eastern City, turning it into a wasteland; however Tien Shinhan intervened and carried Goku out of the blast's way, flying out of the blast's range. The second blast was weaker but hits Goku directly and buries him into a massive crater, but it once again fails to destroy him.
Later in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament, we see Piccolo Jr. has the ability to use this attack as well. Piccolo notably uses this technique as a final attack against Goku in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament in an attempt to blow him to bits. Piccolo later uses it, without effect, against Raditz when they first meet. Piccolo also uses the technique to destroy the Moon to stop Gohan's Great Ape transformation and to prevent Raditz's comrades from using it to transform.
He uses a similar attack against Frieza after having deflected the tyrant's Punishing Blaster attack, he uses the attack to buy time for Goku to power up his Large Spirit Bomb as well, and twice during his battle with Android 17. Piccolo also uses the attack against the monster Akami in the Dream 9 Toriko & One Piece & Dragon Ball Z Super Collaboration Special.
Similar, but unnamed (in the manga, anime at least) techniques have been used by other characters over the course of the series; notably Goku, Demetrious, Ginger (Ginger Buster), Namekians, Zarbon (Elegant Blaster), Frieza (Death Cannon), Gohan (Full Power Masenko), Salt (Surprise Blast), and Vegeta (Galick Blazer).
Video game appearances
This attack appears in RPG such as Dragon Ball: Daimaō Fukkatsu, Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure, and fighting games such as Dragon Ball Z Arcade. In every game of the Budokai series, the attack requires significantly less charging and Piccolo briefly braces himself the moment he shoots the attack (making it appear that he is shooting it one handed). In this series, Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit, and Dragonball Evolution: The Game, it is called Destructive Wave, but when Piccolo uses it in Burst Limit, he says "Explosive Demon Wave." It is also called Destructive Wave in the Ninento DS RPG Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, and Bukiri Maha in Super Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Heroes. It is also one of Piccolo's Super Attacks and a customizable Super Attack for created characters in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse under the name Evil Explosion.
It is named Explosive Demon Wave in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, where it appears as both King Piccolo's Ultimate Blast and one of Piccolo (Early)'s Blast 2 attacks. When Piccolo performs it, he says "Destructive Wave." In the Raging Blast series, Piccolo says "This will stop you!" when he uses the Explosive Demon Wave. The attack also appears in Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi and Dragon Ball Z For Kinect.
The attack also appears in the Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game, but is strangely named as the Special Beam Cannon. It appears on the card "Orange Special Beam Cannon" and is an energy attack that does one life point of damage for each of the user's power stages above zero. It costs three power stages to perform.
- Makosen – A weaker variant of the attack which can be used in several different forms.
- Hyper Explosive Demon Wave – A more powerful explosive wave variant of the attack.
- Chasing Bullet – A variation of the attack which is fired the same way and locks on its target. It does not have the same power though, as it only has enough power to disable one of its target's arms or kill a far weaker opponent.
- Light Grenade – A stronger variant of the attack used by Piccolo after fusing with Kami.
- Evil Explosion - A variation of the Explosive Demon Wave which appears as one of Piccolo's Super Skills in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse which he will teach to the Future Warrior after they complete his Training Qualification Mission to become Piccolo's Student.
- Explosive God Wave (Bakurikishinha, lit. Bursting Power God Wave) - A variation used by Kami in his youth and his positive version of the technique.
- 爆 (Baku) = Burst / bomb
- 力 (Riki) = Power / capability
- 魔 (Ma) = Demon / evil
- 波 (Ha) = Wave
- In Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure, when King Piccolo performs the attack, he yells "Explosion/Explosive Wave!" as opposed to the whole attack's name.