Frieza's Second Transformation (出撃だ悟空!! 激怒のフリーザが第2の変身 Shutsugeki da Goku!! Gekido no Furiza ga Daini no Henshin) is the 8th episode of the Frieza Saga and the eighty-second overall episode in the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. The episode first aired on March 20, 1991. Its original American air date was September 29, 1999.
Piccolo and Frieza continue their battle and Frieza briefly gets the upper hand. As a last resort, Piccolo removes his weighted clothing and turns the tables against Frieza, dominating him completely. This time, Gohan, Krillin, Vegeta and Dende believe Piccolo truly can win.
However, Frieza reveals a stunning secret: although he has already transformed, it was not his only one, and furthermore, he still has two remaining transformations. Still confident that he can beat Frieza, Piccolo foolishly allows Frieza to reach his third form and raise his power level even further.
Once Frieza transforms, the fight resumes, but this time, it quickly becomes evident that Frieza has severely outclassed Piccolo in strength and speed. Vegeta notices Dende on the ground and remembers how he healed Gohan, increasing his strength. This gives Vegeta an idea.
Piccolo charges at Frieza but is dominated by the tyrant. Preferring to end things, Frieza begins bombarding Piccolo with a barrage of finger beams so fast that Piccolo cannot dodge. Finally, Gohan's rage erupts and he furiously charges towards Frieza. Krillin is about to follow him when Vegeta stops him, telling him to instead beat him up. Krillin is left puzzled.
- Frieza transforms into his third form.
- Piccolo vs. Frieza (Second/Third Form)
Differences from the manga
- King Kai, Tien Shinhan and Yamcha watching the battle between Frieza and Piccolo is exclusive to the anime.
- In the anime, after Piccolo removes his weighted clothing he begins to power up with Frieza looking on. In the manga however all he does is remove his weighted clothing.
Bruce Faulconer tracks
- "Frieza Transforms" - When Frieza transforms into his third form.