Frieza Approaches (闘いの行方!? 最長老に迫るフリーザの魔の手, Tatakai no Yukue!? Saichoro ni Semaru Furiza no Ma no Te) is the third episode of the Captain Ginyu Saga and the seventieth overall episode in the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. The episode first aired on December 5, 1990. Its original American air date was September 14, 1999.
When Goku reached 140,000, Captain Ginyu started to have a nervous breakdown. Captain Ginyu then threw a huge rock at the powering up Goku. It disintegrated in the aura surrounding Goku. After that, Captain Ginyu threw some energy discs, but they were deflected right back at Captain Ginyu and Jeice. Goku finally reaches his max power level of 180,000. Goku then tells Captain Ginyu that they do not have to fight and if he apologizes, he would be let go. Captain Ginyu then tells Goku that he will not bow down to anybody.
Meanwhile, Bulma is searching for the Dragon Balls, when she arrives at a destroyed Namekian village. All the Nameks were destroyed. Bulma now knows what a terrible situation it was and hoped Goku would come sooner.
Meanwhile, Grand Elder Guru and Dende sense that Nail had returned. Guru was upset at Nail for not helping the Earthlings. Nail explained to Guru that he needed to be there in Guru's last hour. Guru said that there was nothing he could do.
Gohan then spots the cave and the two warriors entered the vicinity. Bulma had gone! Gohan then realized that she took the air-motorbike from a track from one of the tires. Krillin and Gohan then flew in the direction where Bulma had gone.
Dende then left to receive the password from Guru but before he did, Guru gave him the power to heal. Dende then set off on his journey. Meanwhile, Frieza is almost at his destination when Dende passes by. Frieza does not take much notice of him. Frieza then arrives at Guru's place. Nail comes out to greet him. After exchanging a few words, three Warrior-type Namekians arrive and try to attack Frieza. Nail tells them not to, but they still do and everyone of them blown away by Frieza's Whirlwind Blow. Nail then tells Frieza that he cannot kill Guru, because if he does, the Dragon Balls will disappear. Now Frieza cuts through the window to greet Guru. He cannot kill him, so he takes Guru's insults. Guru then tells Frieza that Nail will face Frieza as Nail possesses special training and is much more powerful any other Namekian. The battle is now set, Nail versus Frieza.
Bruce Falconer tracks
- "The Saga Continues" - Prologue and Title Card
- For their release of the Captain Ginyu Saga, FUNimation did not include recaps or even the lone next episode preview that are usually found on their individual discs. This is because episodes 54-56 aired in a slightly edited form on Toonami to make up for the place at which episode 53 had been edited to stop. To make up for this, FUNimation created new recaps for half of the Captain Ginyu Saga until the footage began to sync up to the Japanese version by episode 57. Therefore, the recaps seen in the TV version of episodes 54-56 are different from the recaps seen on later DVD and Blu-ray releases.
- Frieza's chestpiece is momentarily colored black as opposed to its correct purple coloring as he talks to Guru. Also, as he is rising up to meet Guru, his underwear is colored purple, instead of black.
- In Bulma's abandoned cave hideout a picture of Yamcha can be seen with several darts sticking out of it.
- The redubbed version of this episode features different portions of the Faulconer Productions score.