Mirai no Torankusu
|Alternate names||Alternate timeline Trunks|
Trunks of the Future
Time Patrol Trunks
Prince Trunks (by Paragus)
Tronk (Polish dub)
Dorangaso (Movie 9 Malaysian dub)
|Debut||Manga: "The Coming of King Cold"|
Anime: "The Mysterious Youth"
|Race||1/2 Human-1/2 Saiyan|
|Date of birth||Age 766|
|Date of death||Age 767 (revived)|
Age 788 (another alternate timeline)
|Weight||60 kg/132 lbs|
|Address||WST 3338926 K.|
|Allegiance||Z Fighters (Age 764 - 767)|
"You're about to find out what it's like to fight a real Super Saiyan, and I'm not talking about Goku..."
Future Trunks (未来のトランクス), referred to in the series simply as Trunks, is the Saiyan and Human hybrid son of Vegeta and Bulma from the alternate future. By the time Present Trunks was born, the timeline had been altered by Future Trunks' and Cell's trips to the past. Therefore, the two Trunks had completely different lives (as opposed to those who lived before the Time Machines arrived, they lived exactly the same lives as their counterparts until the point at which the two timelines diverge: three years before the androids arrived).
Well-mannered, serious and very cautious, Future Trunks hails from an alternate timeline in which Android 17 and Android 18 murdered the Z Fighters and proceeded to create apocalyptic hell on Earth. Future Trunks is trained by Future Gohan as a teenager, and becomes a gifted fighter, swordsman and a Super Saiyan; traits that aid him greatly in the battle against the Androids after traveling back in time in order to save his own future.
This is the first Trunks that is introduced in the Dragon Ball series. He wields a sword and wears a Capsule Corporation jacket. Trained by the alternate timeline's Gohan, Future Trunks travels through time to seek help from Goku to prevent the Red Ribbon Androids from ravaging the world, like they did in his dark future. Future Trunks is a loyal and uncompromising warrior, and can be slightly cocky at times. He inherited his mentor's do-or-die attitude, as well as his father's brash confidence (though he displayed less of it at different times; it was most on display in his fight against Frieza).
Future Trunks is muscular, a bit taller than Goku, and more slender. He has blue eyes and straight, light purple hair, which he inherited from his mother. From his first appearance to the time he enters the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Future Trunks' hair is cut short, only reaching the middle of his ears. After his exit from the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, his hair is long, reaching his shoulders, due to a year of having to cut it himself. However, Bulma cuts it before his second year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and again after the Cell Games. Future Trunks gains his facial features and his light tan skin color from his paternal side.
Throughout Future Trunks' appearances, he is usually shown wearing an indigo Capsule Corporation jacket, a black tank-top, gray pants, and golden boots. He later wears clothing identical to his father's: a blue skin-tight jumpsuit with a Battle Armor, white boots with yellow tips, and white gloves. Like most other Saiyan-Human hybrids in the series, he has never been seen with a tail.
In the computer game Dragon Ball Online, the fighting game Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, and the JM6 trailer for Dragon Ball Heroes, Trunks dons informal martial arts clothes primarily a trench coat with a green torso beneath, and a new sword. While wearing these clothes Future Trunks is referred to as Time Patrol Trunks in Dragon Ball Online and Xeno Trunks in Dragon Ball Heroes, he retains his normal name of Future Trunks in Dragon Ball: Xenoverse.
Future Trunks, having never met his father, nor grown up under his influence, combined with the fact that he grew up in an apocalyptic world, is very cautious and serious (such as when he begged Vegeta not to challenge the Androids without Goku being present or when he did not want Vegeta to trust Paragus), unlike his main timeline counterpart, who had a personality very similar to his father's. Future Trunks clearly fears the Androids, panicking at the introduction of Android 16. He also appears to be afflicted with some sort of post-traumatic stress as a result of the struggles he faced in his apocalyptic nightmarish world. Nevertheless, Future Trunks is depicted as incredibly respectful to everyone, especially his mother Future Bulma and his master Future Gohan. When he finally meets Vegeta in the past, Future Trunks is seen to be constantly trying to impress him. This is often mixed with disgust and horror towards his father's uncaring attitude towards those around him, especially when Vegeta refused to save Bulma and baby Trunks when Dr. Gero blows up their capsule airplane, forcing Future Trunks to save his present counterpart and mother.
Because he comes from the future and believes he knows what is going to happen, Future Trunks is usually shown thinking that only some things will matter and others probably would not (although he is usually right in the long term). This is shown in, at first, his resistance to do anything unless Goku is present. Other things, such as his surprise that Piccolo's fusion would make a difference, also show this. As such, he is usually surprised at events (on a different layer than the fact that history was different from his recollection). He is even (though very rarely) shown to be cocky, such as when he became a 3rd Grade Super Saiyan, but when he loses his seeming "advantage" this cockiness dissolves instantly. Molded from his dark timeline, he is very serious and is a determined fighter like his father.
Unlike his father or alternate timeline self, Future Trunks is often shown to be very polite and well-mannered. This is clearly shown in the original version through his speech, as he is often heard using the polite form of Japanese phrases when addressing his allies. In an interview with Akira Toriyama, when asked by a fan what happened to Future Trunks and the Majin Buu of his timeline, he stated that he did not realize that the series was going to continue past the Cell Saga, and that it was supposed to be the final chapter in the Dragon Ball series. However, due to overwhelming demand from Japanese fans, he continued the series. What had happened to Future Trunks and the Majin Buu of his timeline is depicted in the PSP game Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road.
Differences from Present Trunks
Due to living in such a bleak and dangerous future, Future Trunks is very different than his present time counterpart. Due to a hostile and lonely life with nearly everyone dead, Trunks' best and only friend is Future Gohan, which is comparable to the friendship of Trunks and Goten.
It is unknown how Future Trunks would react to meeting Trunks, however this occurs in the video games Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors, and Dragon Ball: Raging Blast. In both Budokai 3 and Shin Budokai, Trunks states that it is "Just like having a brother", whereas in Legendary Super Warriors and Tenkaichi 2, he does not even realize it is his future self and the two have a sparring match. In Raging Blast, Future Trunks is disappointed that Trunks has become spoiled and arrogant in times of peace. However, he retracts his disdain for the boy after being surprised by the young Saiyan's strength after they battle, most notably at his ability to transform into a Super Saiyan at such a young age. They did meet in the manga and anime, however, when Trunks was still just a baby; once when Future Trunks rescued him and Bulma from Dr. Gero's attack, and once when Future Trunks came to Capsule Corporation before the Cell Games announcement. For a minute, Trunks incessantly pulled on Future Trunks' hair.
Future Trunks' timeline
"Gohan, why'd you have to do it, why'd you have to leave me? It's not fair! Oh gosh no... what did they do to you Gohan? You were my best friend, you were everything to me... everything! This just isn't fair! Gohan, Gohan, GOHAN!!!"
Future Trunks was born in Age 766 and is from an alternate timeline, one in which the Earth is continually terrorized by the evil Future Android 17 and Future Android 18. By the time we are introduced to the pair of Androids, over three fourths of the world's population has been eliminated due to their spree of destruction. In this future, Future Gohan and Future Trunks are weaker versions of themselves without the training of the experienced Z Fighters later on.
In this timeline, Future Goku dies of a heart virus six months before the Androids arrive, leaving the Z Fighters without one of their greatest heroes. His father Future Vegeta and all of the other Z Fighters (except Future Gohan) are killed, with the Androids easily outclassing them in power since they were both built to be more powerful than Future Goku. At one point, Future Trunks met Tapion (or possibly his future timeline counterpart) after the latter sealed away Hirudegarn (or possibly a future timeline counterpart), and Tapion gave his sword to Future Trunks. Over the course of the next thirteen years, Future Gohan becomes Future Trunks' mentor and trains him in everything he knows, also teaching him swordsmanship. Future Gohan tries his best to teach Future Trunks how to become a Super Saiyan as well, necessary for him to compete against the Androids' might. However, with everyone already dead and having not yet felt a certain level of sadness and sorrow, Future Trunks simply cannot find the motivation to transform (in the manga, Future Trunks had already achieved the Super Saiyan form at this time).
Future Trunks is at age 14 at the time. In an amusement park named Super World, Future Gohan and teenage Future Trunks face the Future Androids in battle where Future Trunks, in his inexperience, is cornered by Future Android 18. Future Gohan is forced to sacrifice himself to save Future Trunks, losing his arm in the process which only further demoralizes Future Trunks and causes his confidence to fall. Future Trunks tries repeatedly to attain Super Saiyan during training but still struggles with it, unlike his alternate-timeline self who attains it at a much younger age and with relative ease.
Later in Age 780, the pair are drawn into battle against the Androids again, so Future Gohan knocks Future Trunks unconscious knowing that if he faces them again he will be killed. Future Gohan holds his own against the Androids at Pepper Town, being stronger than each individually (only in the anime; Gohan initially lost against a Future 17 who was using less than half his full strength, and even after the years of training with Future Trunks, he is effortlessly defeated by the foe and killed before Future Trunks awakens) but unable to compete with both of them and their infinite energy reserves. Future Gohan is defeated and killed, leaving Future Trunks to find his body lying in the rain. Overcome with anger and grief, Future Trunks finally transforms into a Super Saiyan (as said above, in the manga, he was able to transform already, but due to his inexperience was unable to even keep up with an armless Future Gohan in his normal state, until his training for the next three years) and spends the next few years training to avenge his fallen allies but despite all this, he struggles to defeat the Androids.
After another close escape at Bridgetown in Age 783, Future Bulma reveals her Time Machine to her son, which she hopes he will use to return to the past and save Goku, hopefully altering the future. In this future, Future Trunks did not know his father Future Vegeta at all, as he was only an infant at the time he was murdered by the Androids.
Main article: Trunks Saga
"These androids are ruthless, they delight in causing pain and chaos. Living on Earth in my time is like living in a nightmare... always running and hiding, looking for a way out."
In Age 784, Future Trunks travels back in time 20 years, in order to warn Goku about the android threat in the near future, as well as to deliver medication that will cure Goku of the heart virus that he is supposed to die from. However, upon arrival he is greeted by Frieza with his father King Cold. They had come to Earth in order to seek revenge upon Goku's loved ones, and to kill Goku himself. Future Trunks, then seventeen years old, did not look like much of a threat to Frieza, and he freely told him so. Future Trunks implies his ability to transform into a Super Saiyan, but Frieza, albeit initially shocked, laughs it off along with his father. Future Trunks, anticipating that Frieza does not believe him, proves it by transforming, to Frieza's horror. Frieza was then given three opportunities to kill Future Trunks, but the young Super Saiyan is able to block and dodge the attacks with ease, and he kills all the soldiers Frieza and his father had brought to Earth.
Frustrated, Frieza fires a Supernova at Future Trunks. Future Trunks just catches the attack and tells Frieza that he must have "dropped it," after which Frieza detonates the blast with an energy wave (only in the anime, while in the manga Frieza never tried a planet-busting ki attack, and fired this blast immediately instead). Future Trunks then easily remains unscathed and performs what he calls the Burning Attack to have Frieza dodge the blast, which is followed up by his sword (Shining Sword Attack).
Frieza, cut in half, was completely destroyed by being hacked to bloody chunks and then blown to dust in an instant, and was soon followed by his arrogant father King Cold, who was killed by a God Breaker energy wave. Future then guides the Z Fighters congregated nearby to the place where Goku is going to land, and then has them wait for Goku to arrive. He offers the Z Fighters a drink from his capsule cooler. During their wait, Future Trunks keeps staring at Vegeta (due to it being the first time he actually met his father since he died during the Android attack in his timeline while he was still a baby), causing the latter to demand to know why he is staring at him. In addition, the Bulma notes Future Trunks' resemblance to Vegeta in facial features and Krillin speculates that he must have met Goku during the latter's trip in outer space, although the theory is shot down when Chiaotzu reminds them that Future Trunks said he never actually met Goku before. After two hours, upon looking at his watch, Future Trunks informs the Z Fighters that Goku's ship is about to land.
When Goku arrives, Future Trunks finds out to his chagrin that he interfered with the timeline unnecessarily; although miles away in space, Goku was prepared to step in using his Instant Transmission technique (just as he did in Future Trunks' original timeline) when Future Trunks showed up and killed Frieza. Future Trunks then informs Goku of the future where the Androids arrive and kill all of the Z Fighters in a large battle, also telling Goku not to inform anyone about his parents. However, Piccolo's sensitive Namekian ears pick up the conversation, and as Goku forgot some details about Future Trunks' telling, Piccolo tells the Z Fighters of the future, inspiring the heroes to train their hardest for the next three years. However, inadvertently, Future Trunks' revelation of the future alters it slightly.
The Androids and Cell
"I agreed with my mother that I should travel back in time, but I had my own reasons for wanting to go. I had hoped that in the past, with Goku's help, I would find the androids had some weakness. That way I could go back to the future. And even though I still wouldn't be able to bring back all those already gone, I might be able to save the people who are left."
When the androids eventually appear and they face the Z Fighters, Goku had not contracted the heart disease six months prior like he was supposed to, instead he contracted it during the battle against Android 19. Before Goku could be killed, Vegeta saves him, telling Yamcha to take him home and cure him with his medication, and reveals his new Super Saiyan form, killing Android 19 with great ease when he uses his signature Big Bang Attack to reduce him to a smoldering head. Future Trunks returns to the past to find Android 19's detached head on the Southern Continent and Android 20, two androids he never saw in his timeline and realizes that this timeline is now branching off considerably from his own. When Android 20 (who is, Dr. Gero in reality) releases the real androids of his future, Android 17 and Android 18, they rebel and kill their creator before releasing the previously unknown Android 16.
Because Future Trunks warned the heroes of the future and they trained to become stronger, the androids of this timeline have been made considerably stronger, to the point where Android 18, the weakest of the three, by herself is able to even easily take down Super Saiyan Vegeta and Super Saiyan Future Trunks together. Vegeta fights Android 18 and eventually loses. Future Trunks rushes to his father's aid, but he is smashed down by Android 17. When Future Trunks rises again to attack Android 18, she breaks his sword and Android 17 comes down and knocks him out. As he gets back up and tries to attack again, Android 18 throws Vegeta at him.
Eventually, Cell from another alternate timeline is revealed and hatches from his larval state, and he sets about absorbing the androids of the current timeline. After learning from Piccolo how Cell was created and the location at what was Dr. Gero's Lab where Cell was being created, Future Trunks set out alongside Krillin to destroy the main timeline's incarnation of Cell and the underground lab. During this event, Future Trunks uncovers blueprints of Android 17, eventually leading to the discovery of the Android's weakness: a Shut Down Remote. Because the androids and Cell are superior in strength to any of the fighters, the heroes go to train again, this time in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
When Vegeta and Future Trunks train in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber together, Future Trunks believes he surpasses Vegeta in power (though he fails to see the reason why Vegeta stops increasing his maximum power at the time) by ascending further to the 3rd Grade Super Saiyan state like Trunks. However, throughout the year that was spent in the Time Chamber, Future Trunks realized Vegeta's real sense of Saiyan pride and thought it was best to hide his true power level out of fear of upsetting his father, unaware of the fact or reason Vegeta purposely did not ascend.
Future Trunks had managed to reach what is known as the 3rd Grade Super Saiyan state, where the Saiyan is still a Super Saiyan, but has greatly augmented their physical strength from even the 2nd Grade Super Saiyan state. However, due to the overblown muscle mass, the brute force benefit in this form is offset by a gross decrease in speed, a point which Cell proved by toying with him, constantly dodging his every move, then explaining the flaw and proving he could bulk up just the same. It is later realized that Vegeta could have easily reached this same level of power if he wanted, but decided against it due to knowing full well the form's weakness, something Future Trunks failed to spot during their training due to his inexperience.
"You androids make me sick the way you act like this is all just some twisted game. What you androids did to my world was all too real. And I promise that will not be repeated here!"
Future Trunks is the second Saiyan to take on Perfect Cell with the intention of destroying him. Although Future Trunks' power was enough to deal significant damage to Cell, Future Trunks simply kept increasing his power, unaware that his speed was greatly decreasing and his energy consumption greatly augmented to a point where sustaining the state would prove to be a problem. His body became too bulky and slow from the large quantity of muscle and this gave Cell the upper hand, despite not even having powered up and slightly below Future Trunks in brute strength. Future Trunks quickly realized that he was too slow and gave up hope right before Cell's eyes. The battle hungry Cell however, was intrigued at how strong Future Trunks had become in such a short period of time and posed a challenge to the strongest fighters on Earth (The Z Fighters) to train as much as they could over a period of ten days. Then at the end of these ten days all the greatest fighters of Earth will compete in the Cell Games. Future Trunks then left the battlefield and spread the word about the Cell Games before taking a position in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, again training for a whole year in one day.
When Future Trunks emerges from his training his power had seen very little increase compared to last time. Future Trunks is forced to contend with Cell's smaller but incredibly powerful clones along with the other heroes, slowly and gradually losing the fight. After Cell self-destructs out of fear of Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, a cluster of cells containing the core of his being survives and he uses it to resurrect himself through regeneration, much stronger than he ever had been before. Upon his reappearance, he impales Future Trunks through the chest with a Full Power Death Beam, mortally wounding him (while the FUNimation dub states that this was intentional, the original version implies that he was just firing randomly, as evidenced by the line "Who was it that I hit? Trunks?"). While Gohan is preparing to fight Cell again, Future Trunks uses up the last of his life energy to vomit up blood, and Yamcha and Tien Shinhan rush over to aid him, only to realize he had died that moment.
This act causes a drastic change in Vegeta, who becomes enraged that someone who cared about him has been killed and reveals his affection for his son. Vegeta then gives everything he can give to try and take down Super Perfect Cell although he fails and is overwhelmed by Cell's power, who takes all his attacks without a scratch and severely cripples him with a halfhearted blow, preparing to kill him like he did Future Trunks (only to have Gohan shield him, but at the cost of the use of his left arm). After Cell's defeat, the dead Future Trunks is taken to Kami's Lookout where he is revived by Shenron. Later, when told how his father reacted to his death by Yamcha, Future Trunks became shockingly proud of his father.
Back to the Future
Main article: Free the Future
"You think this life is all about you, don't you? What about the others? The ones that you two killed!"
After the celebrations for Cell's long-waited defeat, Vegeta acknowledges Future Trunks while he says his goodbyes. After saying his goodbyes, Future Trunks returns to his own time to exact revenge on the androids for murdering the Z Fighters. After reuniting with his mother, Future Bulma, Future Trunks hears a news update on the location of the androids and he quickly powers up into his powered Super Saiyan form, now greatly augmented by his two years of training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. At Parsley City, the androids are about to kill another innocent man (in the manga he is killed before Future Trunks' arrival by being shot in the face by Future 17), when suddenly Future Trunks hurtles a very accurate energy attack which narrowly misses Future 17. The cocky androids foolishly underestimate Future Trunks and try to rush him. Future Trunks easily dodges their attacks and punishes them duly, obliterating Future 18 in a point-blank energy blast. Future 17 looks on in disbelief and his feelings soon turn to hatred, but he too is terminated with ease in a single blow, before being blown to dust effortlessly.
"You hate the fact that you're powerless to stop me. That you're completely outmatched. Well, imagine feeling the way you do now all of the time like the people of this planet do. Fools. How do you think my master Gohan felt when you ganged up on him in the rain and he had no way out? Well, now it's your turn. I hope you enjoy it!"
The completely unscathed Future Trunks returns home since everything now seems at peace with the Earth, except for one thing: Future Cell. Three years pass before the determined Bio-Android roams around in his weakest form looking for the now non-existent androids and comes across Future Trunks and Bulma saying their goodbyes near the time machine. Future Trunks is age 23 at the time. As Future Trunks is about to leave for the past one final time to inform them of his success, he senses Cell and sends his mother away. He turns towards Imperfect Cell and begins to taunt him with his knowledge from the alternate past. He informs him that he has killed the androids from the current time.
The cocky Cell approaches the half-Saiyan under the false impression that Future Trunks is still at the level of power when he initially went back in time and warned Goku, even weaker than the future Androids who are in turn inferior to Cell's strength by a long shot. The fight begins and Cell is clearly outclassed as Future Trunks hurls him outside of the city with a simple energy wave in his base state. Once outside West City, Future Trunks then transforms into Super Saiyan and then proceeds to clobber Cell with great ease.
"The nightmare is over, Cell! DIE!"
When declaring that Cell must die, Cell gets enraged and launches his tail at Future Trunks. Future Trunks takes action by grabbing Cell's tail and swinging him around in a circle, building up momentum, and then hurling him high into the air. Cell realizes that he has no hope against the new powers of Future Trunks, and prepares a Kamehameha large enough to destroy the planet, knowing all too well that he could survive in space. Cell begins the attack but is interrupted when Future Trunks powers up and unleashes a massive destructive wave of energy (the Heat Dome Attack) which incinerates Cell completely. With the future finally at peace, Future Trunks is seen for the last time in the series, looking towards the sky while thanking Goku and his friends in the past one last time.
In Cell's original timeline, an alternate Future Trunks went into the past and helped Goku just as in the main timeline. Future Trunks and the Z Fighters manage to defeat the Androids and he travels back to his alternate future timeline. Because this was a completely different timeline, the events of Cell never occurred and he did not expect to encounter Cell. When he returned to his alternate future timeline, he disabled the other future Androids and was going to go back to the past to tell the others of their defeat. Instead, he ran into and fought with Cell who killed him and then went on to take Future Trunks' time machine into the main timeline to mesh with the events of the series. However, this timeline returned to a peaceful state as the Androids were deactivated and Cell traveled to the main timeline. This came with the loss of Future Trunks, which could have brought the Saiyan race to what seems to be extinction in this specific timeline.
This alternate Future Trunks is mentioned by the primary Future Trunks in the PSP game Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai where, upon meeting Cell, Future Trunks mentions that he will redeem his alternate counterpart for failing to stop Cell.
Future Trunks appears in movies such as Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!, Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan, Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound as well as the OVA Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans.
Super Android 13!
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!
Future Trunks went over with Krillin, Oolong, and Master Roshi to a swimsuit runway, although he ended up regretting the decision when they had to wait until the building opened with Krillin, Oolong, and Master Roshi attempting to sneak a peek in the dressing rooms. He and his group later rendezvoused with Goku, Gohan, and Chi-Chi at the tower restaurant, and explained that they discovered that they mixed up the dates, that the swimsuit runway was not until a few weeks from that day. However, Future Trunks and the various Z Fighters evacuated the people at the restaurant after Android 14 and Android 15 bombed the area from underneath in order to assassinate Goku. Future Trunks later followed Goku to an Arctic area in order to defend Goku from the Androids, with him growing concerned when Goku is getting exhausted from the fight. However, the fight is briefly interrupted when Android 13 arrives, to which after an exchange of words, he fights against Android 14 and Android 15, whereas Android 13 fights Goku. He is having a difficult time fighting them two against one and, when he tries to cut down Android 15, is knocked away by Android 14. Eventually, Vegeta joins the fray and fights Android 15, with Future Trunks focusing on Android 14. Going Super Saiyan, he manages to slice Android 14 horizontally in half, although it has a delayed effect. He later attempts to save Vegeta when the latter is about to be slammed down into the ground by Super Android 13, only to be blasted away. He then attempts a last ditch effort to cut down Super Android 13 as well as distract him while Goku powers the Spirit Bomb, but 13 managed to shatter his sword and knock him out. After Super Android 13 is destroyed for good, Future Trunks is then hospitalized with other Z Fighters.
Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
"If we let this dirtbag live, he'll continue to destroy the entire universe!"
He was attending the hanami picnic, although he was shocked that anyone could think that Krillin's abysmal attempts at singing Karaoke was "good." Afterwards, when Paragus arrived on Earth and requested that Vegeta become the king of the revived Saiyan Empire and help the South Galaxy by defeating the Legendary Super Saiyan, Future Trunks expressed suspicion, trying to tell Vegeta not to go. When his attempts to tell Vegeta of his suspicions fell on deaf ears, he went over with Paragus to New Planet Vegeta, namely to further attempt to convince his father to not do it. However, his attempt to do so fell on deaf ears. While scouting with Krillin and Gohan the city on New Planet Vegeta, they discover that the "city" was actually a bunch of ruins, and that Paragus was utilizing slave labor to create the palace, and stopped some of the guards from whipping a Shamoian slave. Afterwards, they feed the famished Shamoians and try to garner information. They learn that the Legendary Super Saiyan does indeed exist, and that he was responsible for the destruction of their home planet.
The next morning, Future Trunks, Gohan, Krillin, and Master Roshi revealed to Vegeta Paragus' deception about New Planet Vegeta, bringing the slaves to confirm it. This, along with Broly, Paragus' son, being exposed as being the Legendary Super Saiyan afterwards, forces Paragus to confess that it was all a set up. Future Trunks then attempts to aid Goku and Gohan shortly after Broly went berserk and transformed into his Legendary Super Saiyan form, transforming into his 2nd Grade Super Saiyan form. He was then knocked into a wall, and later smashed into a railway by Broly. He was then given Senzu Beans by Piccolo, and attempted alongside Gohan to fire a double Masenko at Broly, only for him to brush off the attack and fall down the building unscathed. He is then knocked back by Broly alongside Gohan by a clothesline while Broly kicks Piccolo up into the air and blasts him away. Future Trunks then cheers for Vegeta when the latter gets out of his shock and fights Broly, only to immediately rush to his fathers aid and be punched upside the head by Broly. He then transfers most of his ki energy to Goku along with the other Z Fighters in a last ditch effort to stop Broly before escaping from New Planet Vegeta's destruction from Comet Camori.
"Watch where you point that thing, I might get the wrong idea. We may be fighting, but this is still a tournament, no killing allowed!"
Future Trunks participated in X.S. Cash's Intergalactic World Tournament along with Gohan, Krillin, Tien and Piccolo. While talking to Chi-Chi, Bulma states that Future Trunks came back to the past one last time to enter the World Tournament. He fights Tien in the semi-finals and defeats him after transforming into a Super Saiyan. Future Trunks advances to the finals of the tournament along with a sumo-wrestler named Doskoi, Gohan, and Krillin. In his Battle Zone, he engages in a fight with a mysterious alien named Kogu. Future Trunks is almost defeated by the swordsman, until he transforms into a Super Saiyan and kills him with a punch to the gut.
Future Trunks is then knocked out by a kick from a mysterious warrior, later revealed to be Bojack. He wakes up while Gohan is facing Bojack's henchmen and joins the fight after Piccolo was defeated. He is almost killed by Bujin and Bido, but is saved by his father. Future Trunks fights Zangya while Vegeta is being pummeled by a transformed Bojack, and is defeated by the latter soon after with a energy sphere to the stomach. After the battle, Future Trunks appears in the hospital with the other Z Fighters in the epilogue of the movie.
In the crossover manga Cross Epoch, Future Trunks appears aboard Captain Vegeta's flying ship as a member of the Vegeta Sky Pirates. He is paired with Usopp, and when his team chooses to attend Shenron's tea party, he mentions that they were originally supposed to battle with the Dr. Gero Sky Pirates.
Having lived in an age of apocalyptic terror, Future Trunks had to go through intense training under Future Gohan. When Future Trunks first appears on-screen, using his Super Saiyan form, he is able to easily overpower both Mecha Frieza and King Cold. The Dragon Ball Z: The Anime Adventure Game states that Future Trunks has a power level of 7,000,000 in base form and 17,500,000 as a Super Saiyan.
While training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with Vegeta, Future Trunks achieves the level of 2nd Grade Super Saiyan. His strength has increased drastically and he is around Vegeta's power, who has been stated to have at least tripled his previous Super Saiyan power in 2nd Grade Super Saiyan. However, Vegeta says that Future Trunks is still a little bit weaker than him. At this point, Future Trunks is able to defeat Semi-Perfect Cell just by using his regular Super Saiyan form, albeit in the Anime only. It is later revealed that Future Trunks was holding back a lot of power and is in fact stronger than Vegeta, with Krillin believing that Future Trunks could defeat Perfect Cell. In 3rd Grade Super Saiyan, Cell says that Future Trunks is stronger than him but can not win because he is slower.
By the time Future Trunks goes back to the future, he is strong enough in Super Saiyan form to destroy Future 18, Future 17, and Imperfect Future Cell.
In Shin Budokai - Another Road, Future Trunks is able to defeat Future Dabura, and later states that he could destroy Good Buu, showing that he had become far more powerful than during the Cell Games.
Techniques and special abilities
- Flight – The ability to fly using ki.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave.
- Ki Sense – Trunks can sense life energy.
- Burning Attack – The first technique used by Future Trunks in the anime or manga and is his signature technique. Trunks performs a series of rapid arm movements before placing his palms forward, with the thumbs and index fingers touching each other to form a small diamond shape, then he fires a powerful blast of energy from his palms towards the opponent.
- Super Burning Attack – A more powerful version of the Burning Attack. Used in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors.
- Buster Cannon – An attack named in the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai series and first used in the History of Trunks special. It is an energy wave from both hands. Trunks uses this technique in his timeline in an attempt to destroy Android 17 and Android 18 together but it fails.
- Burning Storm – A continuous ki wave form of Buster Cannon named in the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series. Trunks used it after Buster Cannon failed, with the same effect.
- Shining Sword Attack – A technique Future Trunks uses to kill Mecha-Frieza. He fires a Burning Attack slowly enough for the opponent to dodge by taking to the air, where he surprises and slices the opponent to bits before finishing them off with a flash of yellow energy shot from one hand. The attack gets its name from the Budokai Tenkaichi series, while it is called Burning Slash in the original Budokai video game series. In the Budokai Tenkaichi series, the Burning Attack distraction is replaced by Trunks using a backflip kick to knock the opponent into the air.
- Lightning Sword Slash – Future Trunks swings his sword rapidly, sending waves of energy blades that hit the opponent. Named in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. In Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi, Lightning Sword Slash is the name of the Shining Sword Attack he used in his base form to attack Android 14 in Super Android 13!.
- Rapid Sword Stream – Trunks slashes the opponent multiple times with his sword in rapid motions. Named in Ultimate Tenkaichi. It is called Stylish Buster in Super Dragon Ball Z, where it is also used by Ultimate Gohan.
- God Breaker – A yellow energy wave technique named in Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku. Trunks used it to kill King Cold.
- Super Buster Cannon – The attack Future Trunks uses against Vegeta to stop him from helping Cell absorbing Android 18. Future Trunks charges up a giant ball of energy in his hands and fires an enormous beam from that ball of energy. Vegeta ignored the attack because he assumed Trunks would not be able to carry it out and acknowledged it too late. The attack sent him flying into a far away lake. Named Pulsar Crash in Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku and MAX Buster in Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Burning Breaker – A rush attack used by Future Trunks in his 2nd Grade Super Saiyan form to attack Semi-Perfect Cell. Named in Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
- Blazing Rush – A rush attack that Future Trunks uses against Perfect Cell. Future Trunks attacks the opponent and kicks them up in the air, then he appears behind them and knocks them down to the ground with a double axe-handle punch. Named in Dragon Ball: Raging Blast.
- Masenko – Future Trunks is shown using the Combined Masenko with Gohan against Broly in Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan but it had no effect, apart from destroying the stone tower Broly was standing on. It is stated in Future Gohan's data file in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 that he taught Trunks the Masenko. Trunks has the Masenko as one of his Super Attacks in all of his forms in Raging Blast, but he uses this only in his Base (Sword) form in Shin Budokai - Another Road.
- Change the Future – A technique that Future Trunks used against Future Android 18. Future Trunks charges at the opponent, but stops right in front of them to fire a large energy wave in the opponent's face. He used this attack to kill Future Android 18.
- Another End – A technique that Future Trunks used against Future Android 17. Future Trunks kicks the opponent away and jumps up in the air to fire an energy wave down below to the opponent. He used this to destroy Future Android 17.
- Heat Dome Attack – The final attack Trunks uses in the series, and most likely his ultimate attack. He uses it to finish Imperfect Cell in his timeline once and for all. Trunks surrounds himself in a large dome of energy and fires an enormous blast of energy from it, capable of completely obliterating most opponents (such as Cell, who suffered this fate while charging a Kamehameha).
- Finish Buster – An energy sphere attack used by Future Trunks in video games.
- Deadly Impact – A single punch through the gut performed in a style similar to Super Saiyan 2 Gohan's Quiet Rage. Future Trunks uses the blow to kill Kogu in Bojack Unbound. Named in the Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game.
- Force Attack (Bakukan-ha) – Future Trunks shoots his hand out and knocks the opponent flying. Used in Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 3.
- Rushing Combo – A four hits combo used in the Butōden series. Trunks attacks the opponent with an elbow, a punch, a kick, and finishes with an uppercut.
- Blast Attack – A dashing slide kick used in the Butōden series. In the Budokai series, it is a rush attack where Future Trunks kicks the opponent up in the air, and then he kicks and punches them down again (also used by Kid Trunks).
- Kakusan Energy Dan – Future Trunks lets out three ki blasts all at once, one hovering over the other. Used in the Butōden series, where it is also one of Kid Trunks' techniques.
- Energy Fog – Future Trunks fires five energy spheres in five different directions at the same time. Used in the Butōden series.
- Energy Jet – A ground shave energy blade used in the Butōden series. Trunks throws this ki blast down at the ground, and it travels along to ground towards the enemy. It is called Energy Zan in Super Butōden 3.
- Falling Knee Crush – A spinning wheel kick used in the Butōden series.
- Step Ladder – A four hits kick combo used in Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22.
- Rushing Combo Meteo – Trunks kicks his opponent upwards, then he dashes after them as they fly, pummeling them all the while. It is his meteor attack in Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2 and Dragon Ball Z: Buyū Retsuden.
- Tornado Crusher – Future Trunks punches the opponent, then he flies back a bit and unleashes about 20 very quick blasts. Finally, he jumps up and kicks the opponent in the face. It is his meteor attack in Super Butōden 3.
- Trunks Smash (トランクススマッシュ) – A two hits combo used in the arcade game Dragon Ball Z 2: Super Battle. It is an electric punch, followed by a flaming kick.
- Trunks Rush (トランクスラッシュ) – A flip grapple throw used in Super Battle.
- Shining Flash (シャイニングフラッシュ) – Trunks powers up, and an aura that send the opponent up in the air appears around him. Used in Super Battle.
- Kiaitame (気合ため) – Trunks powers up, and a flaming aura appears around him. Used in Super Battle.
- Aura Saber (オーラセイバー) – Future Trunks' ultimate attack in Super Battle. This technique is similar to Goku's Spirit Shot.
- Sword Blast – A wave of energy channeled through his sword. Named in Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II, and also used in Super Battle (named Blae Wave), the Budokai Tenkaichi series, and Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Crescent Sword – Trunks slashes with his sword to send a crescent shaped beam down to the opponent. Used in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Flash Saber – Trunks slashes twice with his sword, sending yellow beams of energy at his opponent. Used in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Rush Blade – Trunks slashes down once and sends multiple blue energy blasts up at his opponent. Used in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Buster Blade – Trunks' ultimate attack in Supersonic Warriors 2. He slashes his opponent 30 times with an advanced version of the Flash Saber, and finishes by powering his sword up and firing a final blue Sword Blast.
- Rapid Shot – An extremely fast energy sphere that deals moderate damage. Used in his Super Saiyan form in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Rapid Fall Slash – A three hits attack performed after grabbing the opponent. Used in the Budokai series.
- Meteor Break – Future Trunks' High Speed Rush technique named in the Budokai series. It is very similar to Kid Trunks' Final Cannon rush.
- Energy Burst – Future Trunks fires Continuous Energy Bullets at his opponent. Used in the Budokai series, where it is also one of Kid Trunks' techniques.
- Crescent Wave – A crescent shaped energy wave. Future Trunks can fires it horizontal with the ground, vertical, or both waves at the same time. Used in Super Dragon Ball Z.
- Aura Smash – Future Trunks launches himself at his enemy fist first. Used in Super Dragon Ball Z.
- Kamehameha – Used alongside Trunks and Goten's Kamehamehas as part of their Friend Kamehameha to destroy Super Perfect Cell in the PSP game Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai.
- Afterimage Technique – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his base form with sword the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Power up to the Very Limit – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his base form with sword in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Wild Sense – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his base form with Battle Armor in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Explosive Wave – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his base form with Battle Armor, his Super Saiyan forms and his 3rd Grade Super Saiyan form in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. Also used in Super Dragon Ball Z.
- Burning Heart – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his Super Saiyan form with sword in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Finish Sign – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his Super Saiyan form with Battle Armor in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Inexperienced Power Up – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his 3rd Grade Super Saiyan form in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Sword Rush - Future Trunks (Sword) Signature Attack in the raging blast Series.
- Guard Crush - Future Trunks signature attack in the raging blast Series.
- Maximum Blow – Super Trunks lands several heavy blow on his opponent. It is one of his Unique moves in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z.
- Power Charge – Super Trunks produces a red aura that increases his physical abilities. It is one of his Unique moves in Battle of Z.
- Phantom Demon Flame Cannon S – An ability used by Future Trunks in Dragon Ball Heroes. It increases the power of Hirudegarn's Phantom Demon Flame Cannon.
Forms and transformations
Main article: Super Saiyan
In the manga, Future Trunks is already able to achieve Super Saiyan when shown training his mentor Future Gohan, making it somewhat likely he simply is able to transform naturally, as his present timeline self did; he however struggles with even Future Gohan's base state in the form, which may suggest that it was rather recently reached due to its meager power, despite his harsh training. In the TV special The History of Trunks, Future Trunks transforms for the first time after seeing his mentor Future Gohan killed at the hands of the androids in his timeline. The energy involved in the transformation causes Future Trunks' hair to stand on end and turn a golden color. His facial expression is sharpened, and the color of his eyes turns a bright emerald green. When in this state Trunks' power level increases dramatically. Even so, he always maintains his sincere, serious demeanor.
2nd Grade Super Saiyan
Main article: 2nd Grade Super Saiyan
After their defeat at the hands of Android 17 and Android 18, he and Vegeta underwent severe training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, during which Trunks gained the ability to take this form. When taking this form, Future Trunks' muscles swell, making his body several sizes larger than normal, and his power and speed are elevated beyond his previous Super Saiyan limits. He first used this form to fight against Semi-Perfect Cell, in an attempt to keep him from absorbing Android 18 and reaching completion. This fight scene only happened in a filler part of the anime, while in the manga, he was about to fight Semi-Perfect Cell but was knocked away by Vegeta, and when he struck Vegeta with his energy blast to repel him away in surprise, but was blinded by Cell's Solar Flare and was forced to see Cell complete himself inside a barrier when his vision returned. After witnessing Vegeta's defeat at Perfect Cell's hands, he transformed to Super Saiyan 3rd Grade, but lost due to his severe speed decrease. As a result, Trunks entered the Hyperbolic Time Chamber a second time to focus on increasing his strength as a regular Super Saiyan to its highest possible point.
3rd Grade Super Saiyan
Main article: 3rd Grade Super Saiyan
Future Trunks is usually referred to as Super Trunks while in this state. It is another form he gained while training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and he utilizes this state while fighting the recently completed Perfect Cell. In this form, Future Trunks' muscles swell even larger than in his 2nd Grade Super Saiyan, his hair gets spikier and larger, and his power grows immensely. In this stage, however, the heavily increased muscle-mass comes at a cost of reduced speed and mobility, and because of the massive energy required to maintain this form, it is not sustainable for long periods of time, which ultimately puts him in a life-threatening disadvantage.
Super Saiyan 2
Main article: Super Saiyan 2
Future Trunks was given this form in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 and the following Budokai games, even though he never gained this form in either the manga or anime. It is likely that he could have obtained this form (via training) sometime after he defeated his timeline's Cell.
Super Saiyan 3
Main article: Super Saiyan 3
Future Trunks achieves this form in the Japanese arcade game Dragon Ball Heroes. In the second trailer for the game, Future Trunks transforms into a Super Saiyan 3 after seeing Majin Buu killing innocent humans by turning them into candy and eating them. Super Saiyan 3 Future Trunks effortlessly sends Majin Buu to the sky with just a few slashes from his sword, right before using his Super Buster Cannon and the Saiyan Hero Beat using a blue energy wave to defeat Buu. Future Trunks also appears as a Super Saiyan 3 in the fifteenth trailer for the game (GM9 trailer): when the Z Fighters are fighting Super 17, he and Super Saiyan 3 Future Gohan arrive in a Time Machine to assist the Z Fighters.
Video game appearances
Due to Janemba messing with the dimensions in the main timeline, Future Trunks finds a strange dimensional portal in his timeline when he is tracking down an energy signature similar to Gohan's Kamehameha. Future Trunks steps through and emerges in the main timeline once again. Before he realizes where he is, he sees Android 18, mistakes her for her future counterpart, and attacks her. Eventually, he realizes that he is in the present timeline and stops attacking Android 18. After he makes sure she is not evil, she explains the current events to him. When Future Trunks heads to find Goku and Vegeta, he is confronted by Gotenks who believes he is a fake created by Janemba. The two begin fighting, but Future Trunks soon wonders why Gotenks attacked him and the fusion then comes undone. Future Trunks discusses things with Goten, Trunks, and Pikkon, and Kid Trunks considers Future Trunks as a "big brother". Future Trunks and the others head to look for Vegeta, who has been possessed, and they follow the largest evil energy signature they can find, but come across Frieza instead. Future Trunks fights Frieza, but Frieza reveals that he was merely distracting them so he could steal the Dragon Balls and the Dragon Radar, and he then escapes.
When Future Trunks and Kid Trunks meet Yamcha and the time displaced Teen Gohan, Future Trunks and Teen Gohan have a friendly fight. Future Trunks and Teen Gohan head off, eventually finding Majin Vegeta who has just been defeated by Ultimate Gohan. Future Trunks eventually witnesses Goku's battle with the Janemba possessed Vegeta, and Vegeta being freed from Janemba's influence. While Vegeta recovers and Goku prepares a Spirit Bomb, Future Trunks holds Janemba off. Future Trunks cannot harm Janemba, but he holds him off long enough for the Spirit Bomb to be prepared. Goku throws the attack, but Janemba holds Future Trunks hostage. Vegeta pushes Janemba and Future Trunks out of the way but is hit by the Spirit Bomb, absorbing its energy. Future Trunks watches the battle between Janemba and the newly powered up Vegeta, and congratulates his father on his victory Janemba.
Future Trunks, Goten, and Kid Trunks head out to locate the Dragon Balls, and finally manage to collect the last one. Future Trunks gives Kid Trunks his watch so that they will always be linked, even when they are in separate timelines. In return, Kid Trunks gives Future Trunks a Time Machine that Bulma had given him so that Future Trunks can go back to his time. Cell arrives and reveals that he wants the Time Machine for himself so he can have endless worlds to destroy. Future Trunks turns Super Saiyan and fights Super Perfect Cell, who believes that Future Trunks will be no match for him. Future Trunks is unable to defeat Super Perfect Cell, and so calls on Kid Trunks and Goten. The three fire a combined Kamehameha at the Bio-Android, who then attempts to escape, but Goten and Trunks fuse into Gotenks and defeat Cell with one attack. Future Trunks, Kid Trunks, and Goten meet with the others and summon Shenron. Piccolo uses one wish in order send Teen Gohan back to his body in the past and, at the same time, Future Trunks uses his new Time Machine to head back to his timeline.
Shin Budokai - Another Road
This story is only featured in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road. It has been some years since the defeat of Cell, Future Trunks has entered the World Martial Arts Tournament and meets Future Supreme Kai and Future Kibito, and has to hold off Future Babidi and Future Dabura, but he knew he could not do it alone. So he goes back into the past and brings Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, Android 18, Goten, and Trunks to help him stop Future Majin Buu. With Future Broly, Future Cooler and Future Janemba also on the loose, the Z Fighters make Future Dende the future world's new guardian. Gohan also brought the now alive Future Gohan, as well as Future Pikkon and Future Bardock to help them. When Babidi steals the Dragon Balls, Future Mr. Satan stole his wish from conquering the universe and Babidi lashes at Future Mr. Satan, but Future Super Buu takes the blow, and he turns Babidi into candy and eats him. He becomes his pure form after he performs this move. The Z Fighters defeat him and the future world is back to peace once more.
Dragon Ball Online
Trunks has already aided the Z Fighters in the past through time travel and defeated Future Cell by this point, however, even if it was for the protection of Earth's peace, the act of using the Time Machine is ultimately a violation of the laws of the universe. When used, a time paradox occurs and multiple divisions are produced, causing the formation of different histories. The Lord of Time gave Trunks a stern warning for his actions. In order to redeem his wrong actions, Trunks took up the job of Time Patrol, and he was warned by Future Dende and Future Piccolo that Miira was causing chaos throughout time and space. Being the primary face of his Time Patrol operation and desperate to seek warriors in the future, Trunks is dedicated to put an end to Miira's threat. Trunks travels to Age 1000 in order to prevent Miira's reign in Age 2000. Time Patrol Trunks has become devoted to this cause and often calls on the player to undergo missions.
During the player's tutorial of the game, Time Patrol Trunks appears in a cinematic cutscene in which he lands at Kame House. He dons informal martial arts clothes, primarily a trench coat with a green torso beneath, and a new sword. He traveled from his timeline accompanied by a robot named Hope! to seek the aid of warriors in the future (the players themselves, later called Time Patrol) through having them complete Time Machine Quests. After a brief talk, he easily dispatches of a few Battle Armor-cladded cyborgs in his base state, using a technique that appears to be the Burning Attack but with blue energy instead. Soon, he takes the players to the past in order to fix time in the Vegeta Saga and Frieza Saga, encountering Towa for the first time after arriving on Namek in the past. Trunks chases after Towa when she revives and enhances Cui's power, but Towa manages to escape and Trunks regroups with his group after they defeated Zarbon. He then brings the Time Patrol slightly forward in time in order to stop Towa from using the Ginyu Force for her experiments. While the Time Patrol fights Time Breakers, Trunks heads out to look for Towa and eventually catches her as she prepares to leave when her brainwashed Recoome fails to defeat Krillin, Gohan, and Vegeta and faints. The two have a brief conversation, and Towa then teleports away. Trunks tells the Time Patrol that Goku will arrive on Namek very soon and that they should leave the situation to him. He then heads after Towa again and learns that the Time Breakers are attempting to kill all of the Namekian Frogs in the area to make sure that Goku does not find and throw one into Captain Ginyu's Body Change beam. When Trunks informs his team and they set out to stop the Time Breakers, a Planet Trade soldier attempts to shoot Trunks in the back but is killed by Bardock. Bardock then tells Trunks that Towa plans to brainwash Goku (who is in Ginyu's body now), so Trunks sends his team to help Goku.
Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
Future Trunks is an important character in the story of Xenoverse, he is contacted by the Supreme Kai of Time and works for her as the head of the Time Patrol, he and the Time Patrol are based in Toki Toki City (in Age 850) which houses the Time Storage Vault. Due to Future Trunks and the Time Patrol being unable to defeat the Time Breakers, Future Trunks uses Shenron to wish for the Future Warrior to appear and aid them in stopping the Time Breakers. Future Trunks, the Future Warrior, and the rest of the Time Patrol then travel through time to stop the Time Breakers. This version of him also appears in Dragon Ball Heroes as part of the sixth mission of Jaaku Mission (JM6).
Other video games
- Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen
- Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku
- Dragon Ball Z: Gekitō Tenkaichi Budōkai
- Dragon Ball Z 2: Super Battle
- Dragon Ball Z: V.R.V.S.
- Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Son Goku Densetsu (Non-Playable Character)
- Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku (Opening only)
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II
- Dragon Ball Z: Taiketsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Buyū Retsuden
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 3 (Secret Character)
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22
- Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legend
- Dragon Ball Z: Sagas
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Super Dragon Ball Z
- Data Carddass Dragon Ball Z 2
- Battle Stadium D.O.N
- Jump Ultimate Stars
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle Taikan Kamehameha 2 (Assist Character)
- Dragon Ball Z: Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road
- Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z: W Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
- Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World
- Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Battlers
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
- Dragon Ball Online
- Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
- Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball Z For Kinect
- Dragon Ball: Tap Battle (Secret Character)
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
- Dragon Ball: Xenoverse
- Dragon Ball Discross
- Japanese dub: Hiromi Tsuru (baby), Takeshi Kusao (Teen & Adult)
- English Ocean dub: Alistair Abell
- English FUNimation dub: Stephanie Nadolny (baby; in Dragon Ball Z), Colleen Clinkenbeard (baby; in Dragon Ball Z Kai), Eric Vale (Teen & Adult)
- French dub: Mark Lesser
- Spanish dub (Latin America): Sergio Bonilla (Most Media), Óscar Flores (Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan), Rocio Garcel (baby), Luis Fernando Orozco (Dragon Ball Z Kai)
- Spanish dub (Spain): Luis Fernando Ríos (Dragon Ball Z ep. 119-167), Rafa Torres (Dragon Ball Z ep. 168-194)
- Catalan dub: Aleix Estadella
- German dub: Sebastian Schulz
- Portuguese dub (Brazil): Marcelo Campos
- Portuguese dub (Portugal): Henrique Feist
- Italian dub: Simone D'Andrea
- Filipino dub: Bernie Malejana
- Hungarian dub: Szokol Péter
Manga and Anime
- Future Trunks vs. Future Android 18
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Future Androids 18 and 17
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Mecha Frieza and King Cold
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Android 18
- Future Trunks (2nd Grade Super Saiyan) vs. Semi-Perfect Cell
- Future Trunks (2nd Grade Super Saiyan) vs. Vegeta (2nd Grade Super Saiyan) and Semi-Perfect Cell
- Future Trunks (2nd Grade Super Saiyan) and Krillin vs. Perfect Cell
- Future Trunks (3rd Grade Super Saiyan) vs. Perfect Cell
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan/2nd Grade Super Saiyan), Vegeta (Super Saiyan/2nd Grade Super Saiyan), Goku (Super Saiyan), Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and Yamcha vs. Cell Jrs.
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Future Androids 18 and 17
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Future Imperfect Cell
- Future Trunks (Base) vs. Androids 15 and 14
- Future Trunks (Base/Super Saiyan) vs. Android 14
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan), Vegeta (Super Saiyan), Goku (Super Saiyan), Piccolo vs. Super Android 13
- Future Trunks, Vegeta, Goku (Super Saiyan), Gohan (Super Saiyan) and Piccolo vs. Legendary Super Saiyan Broly
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan), Vegeta (Super Saiyan), Goku (Super Saiyan), Gohan (Super Saiyan) and Piccolo vs. Hatchiyack
- Future Trunks (Base/Super Saiyan) vs. Tien Shinhan
- Future Trunks (Base/Super Saiyan) vs. Kogu (Base/Full Power)
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Bojack
List of characters killed by Future Trunks
The following is a list of characters actually killed by Future Trunks.
- King Cold's soldiers – After meeting them, Future Trunks runs past King Cold's soldiers while slicing them up with his sword.
- Frieza – He chopped him in half with his sword, sliced him to pieces, and shot an energy blast that reduced him to dust in midair.
- King Cold – Trunks gave him his sword, but the sword did not improve King Cold's chances. Trunks shot a God Breaker wave through his chest, sending him flying into a rock wall, which was now covered with blood. He begged Trunks for his life, but Trunks, knowing how Frieza's family works, destroyed him with a second God Breaker.
- Cell (present) – Killed by Krillin and Trunks using the Burning Storm waves while he was still in larval form inside his test tube.
- Android 18 (future) – Killed in Trunks' future timeline when Trunks shot the Change the Future's energy blast at her face, point blank.
- Android 17 (future) – Killed in Trunks' future timeline when Trunks knocked him to the ground and blew him up with an energy blast (technique named Another End in video games).
- Cell (future) – Killed in Trunks' future timeline. Cell was about to shoot a Kamehameha at Trunks, but Trunks shot the Heat Dome Attack at Cell, completely destroying him.
- Android 14 – Chopped in half by Trunks with his sword, causing him to explode.
- Hatchiyack – Trunks contributed with his Burning Attack, which was combined with the Final Flash, Super Masenko and Super Kamehameha done by Vegeta, Gohan and Goku respectively, and the Special Beam Cannon by Piccolo in the 2010 remake.
- Kogu – Trunks broke his sword and impaled him with a punch.
- Like nearly everyone in his family (apart from Future Vegeta), Future Trunks' name is a pun on an undergarment. His name is a pun on boxers.
- Composer for the FUNimation dub of the Dragon Ball Z, Bruce Faulconer, has stated on his website that Future Trunks was his favorite Dragon Ball character. American voice actor Christopher Sabat has agreed with Faulconer, saying that apart from Vegeta, Trunks is his favorite character from the series. He has liked how his character is "lone survivor of the apocalypse, son of the most angry and the most headstrong characters." He additionally liked Future Trunks' fights, such as the one in which he easily killed Frieza and his father.
- Despite having been officially stated that Goku was the one who defeated Frieza and King Cold in Cell's and Future Trunks' timeline, Cell implies that Future Trunks was as responsible for Frieza and King Cold's defeat in his/Trunk's timeline as he was in the main timeline while telling Piccolo about his origins as well as the cells that were infused to him.
- Trunks and his father, Vegeta, were both killed by a Death Beam through the chest by a major supervillain with Cold family cells (Cell and Frieza, respectively).
- In the Character Illustrations section of the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series, it is stated that Future Trunks obtained his sword from Tapion, although this is contradicted in every other official source which has discussed its origin. Not to mention, in Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3, if Trunks and Tapion fight, they clearly recognize each other, Trunks even says "Long time, no see."
- When Future Trunks is tagged out in Budokai Tenkaichi 2, he says "back to the future"; a reference to the time traveling film Back to the Future.
- Trunks is the last person to have his power level stated with the use of a scouter, being only 5 because he suppressed his true power to avoid detection and mislead Frieza and King Cold.
- If counting games, manga, and anime technically Future Trunks has killed every major villain in Dragon Ball Z (Mecha Frieza, Imperfect Cell, and fat Majin Buu).
- Angelo's hair from Dragon Quest VIII strongly resembles Future Trunks' base form with shorter hair.
- Akira Toriyama was the art director for the Dragon Quest games, so it is highly possible he based his designs on Trunks.
- The Yu-Gi-Oh! card character Tyler the Great Warrior seems based on Future Trunks.
- Trunks and Cell have a unique connection of having killed two separate versions of each other. Cell has killed Future Trunks during the finale of the Cell saga and a alternate version of Future Trunks who managed to deactivate the Androids in the future. Future Trunks was later revived. Future Trunks not only killed the Cell of his timeline but also the present Cell as well, preventing the cycle of Cell using a Time Machine to go back in time from ever happening again.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Dragon Ball: Super Exciting Guide, 2009
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dragon Ball Online, 2010
- ↑ Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, 2013
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: The History of Trunks, 1993
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 147, "Time Chamber"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 133, "Nightmare Comes True"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan, 1993
- ↑ Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 139, "Unwelcome Discovery"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, 2014
- ↑ Dragon Ball: Raging Blast, 2009
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2, 2005
- ↑ "`드래곤볼 온라인`의 최종 목표는 악의 존재인 `창백한 남자`를 물리치는 것이다. `인조인간 셀` 이야기에 등장한 미래의 트랭크스는 시간의 계왕의 의뢰를 받아 `시간의 경찰` 역할을 할 예정이다." - lit. "The main goal of Dragon Ball Online is defeating the evil entity, “pale man”. The Trunks who appeared in the artificial human Cell Arc is requested to take the role of “Time Patrolman” by the Kaiōjikan."
- ↑ "`드래곤볼 온라인`의 최종 목표는 악의 존재인 `창백한 남자`를 물리치는 것이다. `인조인간 셀` 이야기에 등장한 미래의 트랭크스는 시간의 계왕의 의뢰를 받아 `시간의 경찰` 역할을 할 예정이다." - lit. "The main goal of Dragon Ball Online is defeating the evil entity, “pale man”. The Trunks who appeared in the artificial human Cell Arc is requested to take the role of “Time Patrolman” by the Kaiōjikan."
- ↑ Trunks Compendium I, Faulconer Productions
- ↑ DBZ Voice Actor/Director Chris Sabat Interview, Anime News Network
- ↑ Card Trivia:Tyler the Great Warrior, Yu-Gi-Oh! Wiki