Gadzilla Norimaki (more commonly known as Gatchan for short) is an Angel that was adopted into the Norimaki family and split into two beings referred to as Gatchan #1 and Gatchan #2 with both having no distinct differences and often follows Arale Norimaki around.
Gatchan is an Angel born from an egg placed on Earth by A Previous Generation Kami during the prehistoric ages, to prevent further development of the human civilization seeing that other civilizations eventually destroyed themselves and the planets they lived on. Gatchan's ability to replicate as well as its fondness of metal should have ensured that humanity would remain primitive and innocent.
Gatchan hatched from an egg brought home by Senbei Norimaki from a time traveling trip. Later on, it inexplicably replicates into a second one. Gatchan eats almost anything, except for rubber, and particularly likes to eat metal. She/He can also shoot rays from his/her antennae. Gatchan speaks in his/her own language consisting primarily of sounds like "Koo pee pee poo" that Arale Norimaki somehow seems to understand. However, in the manga, Gatchan has said a few words in Japanese/English. Being a baby, Gatchan also imitates what others do (most of the time, what Arale does). Gatchan does not physically age. Gatchan later splits into two beings.
When the Kami that placed them on Eath sees that Gatchan failed in the mission they were originally sent to do (due to Senbei's time traveling intervention), God was about to destroy humanity. However, after seeing the life of Penguin Village, he changed his mind and left Earth as it is.
The Gatchan's accompany Arale during the time Goku arrives in Penguin Village when trying to chase General Blue for the Dragon Balls. Goku who was amazed by Arale's strength when beating General Blue gets surprised when the Gatchan's demonstrate their strength as well by zapping a tree.
Gatchan has split into at least 8 separate beings by Age 759.
The Gatchan's along with the rest of Earth's population was killed during the Majin Buu conflict but were all later resurrected by the Namekian dragon Porunga. They died again later when Frieza destroyed the Earth in an attempt to kill the Z Fighters, but their death was undone when Whis used his Temporal Do-Over technique.
Dragon Ball Super
Gatchan's #1 and 2 follow Arale to a world invention conference that Senbei was receiving an award at and they eat the entire building while Arale was fighting Goku outside.
The Gatchans appear in the movie Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure and during the General Blue Saga of Dragon Ball. In Mystical Adventure, they fire their Antenna Beam at General Tao, when the latter attacks Arale with his Dodon Ray.
Techniques and special abilities
- Flight – The Gatchans have the ability to fly using their wings.
- Antenna Beam – The Gatchans can shoot rays from their antennae. They first used this technique in Dr. Slump chapter 27, "Kids Gone Wild". They also uses this against General Tao in Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure, as well as in the fighting game Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 as part of Arale's Playing Pro-Wrestling technique and in J-Stars Victory Vs.
Appearances in other media
Video game appearances
The Gatchans appear in Dragon Ball: Daimaō Fukkatsu, Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden, Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen, Jump Ultimate Stars, Dr. Slump: Arale-Chan, and Dragon Ball: Origins 2. One of the Gatchans can be seen in the audience of the World Tournament stage in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2. Gatchan 1 & 2 are featured in Arale's Ultimate Blast in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Playing Pro-Wrestling, shooting the enemy with their Antenna Beam after Arale says "The Gatchan are really strong too". Gatchan also appears using his Antenna Beam to attack for Arale in J-Stars Victory Vs. Gatchan is a supporting character in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Japanese: Seiko Nakano (1980's series), Chie Sawaguchi (1997 series)
- Funimation Dub: Mike McFarland (Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure)
- Gatchan's real name is a combination of the names of Gamera and Gojira, who is known as Godzilla in the West; hence s/he is known as "Gadzilla" in the English version.
- On the cover of the 11th chapter of the spin-off manga Dr. Slump Returns, But Only For a Little While by Takao Koyama and Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, a Gatchan is shown dressed up as Piccolo and the other is dressed as Teen Gohan, while Arale is dressed as Goku.