Gods of Destruction (破壊神, Hakaishin) are beings who destroy life and planets, as opposed to the Supreme Kais who are the Gods of Creation who cause life to be born, in order to maintain the balance of the universe.
There are Gods of Destruction for each of the twelve universes in the Dragon Ball series. Once every 1,000 years, the Supreme Kais and the Gods of Destruction go to each other's realms and hold a coordination meeting. The God of Destruction Beerus is the one who sealed Old Kai in the Z Sword during one of these occasions, and he appears as an antagonist in the movie Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods. He is the God of Destruction for the Seventh Universe, and his administrative zone includes planet Earth. His attendant Whis oversees and trains the successive Gods of Destruction of the Seventh Universe, and he asks Goku if he would like to be the next God of Destruction after Beerus dies, but Goku declines.
God of Destruction is a title used by several other characters in the Dragon Ball franchise:
- Cell – A Bio-Android referred to as a "God of Destruction" in the Japanese title of the episode "Cell is Complete" (戦闘力無限大!! セルという名の破壊神誕生; lit. "Infinite attack power! A God of Destruction called Cell is born").
- Luud – A Machine Mutant who is an antagonist in the TV series Dragon Ball GT.
- Syn Shenron – A Shadow Dragon who, upon reabsorbing the other six Dragon Balls, proclaims himself as a "God of Destruction".
- Gotenks – Calls himself "God of Destruction" when formed in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors.
- Broly – Called a "Destruction God" in Goku's mission to fight Broly, and the "God of Destruction" in Gohan's mission to fight him in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.