Gods of Destruction (破壊神, Hakaishin), also known as Destroyer Gods, are beings who destroy planets, as opposed to the Supreme Kais, the Gods of Creation, who create and fill planets with life, in order to maintain the balance of the universe.
There are Gods of Destruction for each of the twelve universes in the Dragon Ball series. Once every 1,000 years, the Supreme Kais and the Gods of Destruction go to each other's realms and hold a coordination meeting. Beerus, the God of Destruction from universe seven, is the one who sealed Old Kai in the Z Sword during one of these occasions, and he appears as an antagonist in the movie Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods and in the Battle of Gods Saga in Dragon Ball Super. His administrative zone includes planet Earth. Each God of Destruction seem to have an attendant, like Whis for Beerus and Vados for Champa.
In Dragon Ball Super, another God of Destruction, Champa, appears along with his attendant, Vados. He is the God of Destruction for the sixth universe. He has been searching for the Super Dragon Balls for decades, searching in both universe six and universe seven.
God of Destruction is a title used by several other characters in the Dragon Ball franchise:
- Cell – A Bio-Android referred to as a "God of Destruction" in the Japanese title of the episode "Cell is Complete" (戦闘力無限大!! セルという名の破壊神誕生; lit. "Infinite attack power! A God of Destruction called Cell is born").
- Luud – A Machine Mutant who is an antagonist in the TV series Dragon Ball GT.
- Syn Shenron – A Shadow Dragon who, upon reabsorbing the other six Dragon Balls, proclaims himself as a "God of Destruction".
- Gotenks – Calls himself "God of Destruction" when formed in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors.
- Broly – Called a "Destruction God" in Goku's mission to fight Broly, and the "God of Destruction" in Gohan's mission to fight him in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2. There is also a Capsule Skill exclusive to Broly in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 called "God of Destruction Body Wrap."