Gotenks is Born (合体超人誕生!!その名はゴテンクス, Gattai Chojin Tanjo!! Sono Na wa Gotenkusu) is the twentieth episode of the Majin Buu Saga and the two hundred fifty-first overall episode in the original dubbed and the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. The episode first aired on December 21, 1994. Its original American air date was October 8, 2002.
Piccolo feels it is time for Goten and Trunks to perform the Fusion Dance at their full power without going Super Saiyan. They perform for the first time and it does not go to well as they end up in a fat form.
They try again and end up with a very skinny, bony form. Piccolo has his doubts, but the kids then concentrate on doing it right this time and perform it correctly, forming Gotenks in a brilliant light. Piccolo is impressed. Gotenks brags about how he can beat Majin Buu right now and flies off to face him, not listening to Piccolo's warnings.
Gotenks finds Majin Buu terrorizing a small town and challenges him. Gotenks gets in a few good hits, but is soon pummeled by Majin Buu very easily. Majin Buu does not see him as a great challenge; Gotenks uses the rest of his energy flying back to Kami's Lookout.
- Gotenks vs. Majin Buu
- Goten and Trunks successfully fuse into Gotenks for the first time.
- Majin Buu overwhelms Gotenks in battle.
"Yeah exactly, see? I'm way more powerful than you. You're just a big overgrown pink doughboy."
Bruce Faulconer tracks
- "Trunks and Goten" - After Trunks and Goten fuse into a skinny Gotenks.
- This episode picked up where "Out from the Broken Sword" had left off.
- This episode features the first non-Namekian fusion in the series.
- In the episode, the Jack card of Master Roshi depicts Goten and Trunks, a foreshadowing of their fusion.
- When Buu attacks the cruise ships, there is a man who yells for help. This man resembles Shaggy from the Scooby-Doo franchise, and in some dubs he even says "M-m-m-m-m-m Majin B-b-Buu..." in a very Shaggy-esque way.
- In the version that aired in Canada, Ocean returned for the voices starting from episode 168, "Android Explosion". Since that episode, this is the first time in the Ocean dub that the word "kill" is used in a literal sense (and not replaced with "hurt" or "destroyed"). When Gotenks rushes off to face Buu, Piccolo's dialogue "If he gets killed now, all our efforts were in vain" is kept the same in both Ocean Group and FUNimation's dubs. Majin Buu also uses the words "dead" and "die" in the Ocean Group dub of this episode (just like he does in FUNimation dub), which also seemed to have been avoided up till now (save for a figure of speech Babidi used in the episode, "Learn to Fuse!").
- After defusing as Fat Gotenks, Goten and Trunks say that they do not remember what happened. This may be explained because it was their first Fusion.