Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Harmony Gold dub (also known as "The Lost Dub") is the first English dub of Dragon Ball released in the 1980s. Harmony Gold also made a dub of Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies and Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure as well.
The original music was kept but all of the characters names were changed with the exception of Master Roshi, Tao, and Chiaotzu. Harmony Gold also came around to dubbing one episode of Dr. Slump changing the name of all the characters for occidental names, except Arale.
In comparison to the first FUNimation dub, it was a little less censored and more faithful to the original. Many of the perveted antics of Roshi and Oolong (known as Mao-Mao) were kept, such as a scene of the former slapping the butt of a stewardess in Mystical Adventure.
It is unknown exactly how many episodes were dubbed by Harmony Gold. It is believed that they only dubbed about 5 episodes as pilots alongside their dubs of Movies 1 and 3, which were edited together as an 80-minute special. The dub was test marketed on several independent stations around the United States, but failed to find an audience, and was canceled. This dub was not released to home video with the exception of a very limited VHS release of Movies 1 and 3 by Streamline Pictures.
The Harmony Gold dub of Dragon Ball was recorded in Hollywood, CA in Intersound Recording Studios.
- Son Goku was changed to Zero
- Bulma was changed to Lena
- Oolong was changed to Mao Mao
- Yamcha was changed to Zedaki
- Puar was changed to Squeaker
- Kuririn was changed to Bongo
- Lunch was changed to Marilynn
- Tenshinhan was changed to Shinto
- Karin was changed to Whiskers the Wonder Cat
- Crane Hermit was changed to Lord Wu Zu
- Taopaipai was changed to General Tao Pei
- Shenlong was changed to Dragon God
- Penguin Village was changed to Happy Valley in Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure, but was still called Penguin Village in their dub of Dr. Slump.
- Senbei Norimaki was only referred to as his nickname Dr. Slump
- Akane was changed to Sandy
- Taro was changed to Butch
- Peasuke was changed to Buddy
- Aoi was changed to Lois
- Midori Yamabuki was changed to Tammy Lafox
- Barbara Goodson as Zero (Goku)
- Wendee Lee as Lena (Bulma)
- Dave Mallow as Mao Mao (Oolong)
- Cheryl Chase as Squeaker (Puar)
- Kerrigan Mahan as Zedaki (Yamcha)
- Clif Wells as Master Roshi
- Wanda Nowicki as Bongo (Krillin)