The Hyper Explosive Demon Wave (超爆裂魔波) is Piccolo's trump card in his fight against Goku near the end of the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. This technique is named Full Power Shōgekiha (フルパワー衝撃波; lit. "Full Power Shock Wave") in Daizenshuu 2.
Piccolo creates a massive explosion with himself as the nexus. While having a very large radius, the attack was not very effective: it did little damage to Goku (who had time to block) and left Piccolo almost completely drained. In the movie Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler, Piccolo uses this attack to destroy a large number of Cyclopian Guards, creating an enormous crater on New Namek.
Vegeta uses a very similar attack in the late stages of his first battle with Goku, but it did not do much as Vegeta's power was weakened due to his being hit with the Spirit Bomb. This technique is called Super Explosive Wave in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. The Namekians Nail, Lord Slug and the alternate Future Gohan also use the Super Explosive Wave technique in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
Recoome has a similar technique called Recoome Ultra Fighting Bomber, which he describes as his ultimate technique. It causes a "whole big wide circle" around him to be blown into nothing when used. Majin Buu also uses a similar technique, during his battle with Majin Vegeta, called Angry Explosion.
Appearances in games
This technique appears under the names Earth Destructing Wave (地球破滅波) in Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden, Dimensional Barrier (魔神結界) in Super Dragon Ball Z, and Super Explosive Wave in Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans.
- 超 (Chō) = Hyper / Super
- 爆 (Baku) = Explosion / bomb
- 烈 (Retsu) = Violent / extreme
- 魔 (Ma) = Demon / evil
- 波 (Ha) = Wave
- The name of the technique is based on another one of Piccolo's strongest attacks, the Explosive Demon Wave.
- In the first dub version of the Frieza Saga, Piccolo has a flashback about when he used this move. However, it is mistranslated as him crying out in pain from Goku's "unbelievable power" rather than him being the source of it.
- The names Explosive Wave and Super Explosive Wave can be used as a generic name for various nameless "Hyper Explosive Demon Wave"-like techniques used by various characters throughout the series. Piccolo's technique is even called Super Explosive Wave in the RPG Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans.