Hyper Explosive Demon Wave (超爆裂魔波 Chōbakuretsumaha) is Piccolo's trump card in his fight against Goku near the end of the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. This technique is named Full Power Shōgekiha (フルパワー衝撃波 lit. "Full Power Shock Wave") in Daizenshuu 2.
Piccolo creates a massive explosion with himself as the nexus. While having a very large radius, the attack was not very effective as it did little damage to Goku (who had time to block) and left Piccolo almost completely drained.
In their battle against Tien and Goku, Piccolo powers up this attack once again while Gohan fights off Tien and Goku so Piccolo can gather enough energy to use it. When Piccolo unleashed this attack finally, Goku is able to hold it off and deflect it, preventing it from damaging both him and Tien.
Years later, Piccolo uses this technique during the Tournament of Power to try to attack the invisible Gamisaras of Universe 4, as Piccolo could not see where he was attack from, and resorted to destroying a portion of the arena to try and harm in. This technique was to no avail however, as this attack did not hit Gamisaras. Beerus and Whis complemented this attack, but pointed out it wastes a large portion of Piccolo's energy.
Other Dragon Ball Stories
In Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, a weaker version is used by Piccolo to send Bude and several other of Dr. Lychee's henchmen flying. Piccolo uses this weaker version both in West City and the Land of Ice.
Video Game Appearances
This technique appears under the names Earth Destructing Wave (地球破滅波) in Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden, Dimensional Barrier (魔神結界) in Super Dragon Ball Z, and Super Explosive Wave in Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans.
"Send your enemy into a flying tailspin by triggering a powerful explosion."
— Dragon Ball Xenoverse Skill description
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, it appears as one of Piccolo's Evasive Skills under the name Super Explosive Wave. Piccolo also teaches it to the Future Warrior while they are training under him. In the Xenoverse series it is depicted as Evasive Skill where the user unleashes strong explosive wave that damages and sends nearby opponents flying making it useful for situations where the user is surrounded. As it is an Evasive Skill it requires 3 stamina bars to perform. As a result, it is depicted as being more defensive in the Xenoverse series and resembles Piccolo's usage of the technique in Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans.
"Creates a Ki explosion, sending nearby foes flying."
— Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 Tutorial description
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Super Explosive Wave returns as one of Piccolo's Evasive Skill in his Demon Clothes 1, Demon Clothes 3, and Demon Clothes 4 skillsets. It also appears as one of Nail's Super Skills. The Future Warrior can learn it by completing School Quest: "Lesson 1" of Piccolo's Training.
- 超 (Chō) = Hyper / Super
- 爆 (Baku) = Explosion / bomb
- 烈 (Retsu) = Violent / extreme
- 魔 (Ma) = Demon / evil
- 波 (Ha) = Wave
- The name of the technique is based on another one of Piccolo's strongest attacks, the Explosive Demon Wave.
- In the first dub version of the Frieza Saga, Piccolo has a flashback about when he used this move. However, it is mistranslated as him crying out in pain from Goku's "unbelievable power" rather than him being the source of it.
- The names Explosive Wave and Super Explosive Wave can be used as a generic name for various nameless "Hyper Explosive Demon Wave"-like techniques used by various characters throughout the series. Piccolo's technique is even called Super Explosive Wave in the RPG Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans.
- It is also called Super Explosive Wave in the Xenoverse series.