"You are too kind, Mister Popo. But I must act for the good of the Earth. This is about the continuing struggle for power between the forces of good and evil...and the danger that looms over us now poses a greater threat than anything we have faced in the past."
Kami (神様 Kami-sama, lit. "God," "Deity," or "Divine Being") is the Guardian of the Earth. Throughout a majority of the story, the character known as Kami on Earth is a wise Namekian who no longer even remembers his real name. It was revealed, however, that his father's name was Katas. As a nameless Namekian, he hatched on planet Namek in Age 242 and, as a child, was launched by Katas into outer space in a Namekian spaceship which requires at least a basic knowledge of the Namekian language to pilot. Kami is also the Namekian that created King Piccolo and Earth's version of the Dragon Balls.
Kami is a Namekian with wrinkly skin. He wears a white robe with a blue collar.
It is not known what the Nameless Namekian's personality was like originally, but after purging himself of his evil counterpart, he becomes a normal peaceful Namekian known as Kami for the most part. Though he could count as a Warrior-type Namekian, he gives up martial arts almost completely after becoming Guardian of Earth (though, he later fights Piccolo Jr. as Hero and Garlic Jr. as himself). According to Korin, Kami does not like visitors and will send any rocket ship trying to reach him back (implying it has happened at least once). His need for seclusion may stem from growing up by himself in the remote Yunzabit Heights. Despite having a legitimate care for the Earth, he began to think all humans were selfish and distrustful as he watched humanity grow and rebuild after the King Piccolo wars, until he meets Goku, which renews his faith in humanity (despite Kami somehow knowing that Goku is not from Earth, though it may have been Goku's love for his friends that changed Kami's mind, of course he may have also been inspired by the actions of other Earthlings such as Mutaito, Roshi, and Goku's friends). Kami's respect for Goku was great enough for Kami to see him as a potential successor and even offered him the position of Guardian of Earth after 23rd World Tournament and even suggesting that Goku and his soon-to be wife Chi-Chi could live together on the Lookout, though Goku ultimately refused, to Kami's utter shock. Though he normally refrains from combat after the Piccolo Jr. Saga, preferring to leave it up to those younger and stronger than himself, he is willing to join the fight to defend the Earth from threats such as Garlic Jr. whom he has somewhat of a rivalry with due to his past history with Garlic.
Kami also has some complexity to his character, as even though he was the Guardian of Earth, he felt as if he was not deserving of the title. This is because King Piccolo and Piccolo's existence relied on him being alive, leading him to want to take his own life on several occasions. He reiterates this to Goku at the end of the 23rd World Tournament, but through Master Roshi explaining how none of this would have been possible without him and the Dragon Balls, Kami is able to forgive himself and continue as Guardian of the Earth, until he fuses with Piccolo. Kami still remained as part of Piccolo, and was noted by Piccolo to give him strategic ideas in combat (most notably against Imperfect Cell in order to get information). He also encourages Piccolo to continue on fighting during the Tournament of Power, knowing full well that the fate of Earth and Universe 7 is at stake.
At some point in his adult life, he arrived at Kami's Lookout, the home of the guardian of Earth at the time and became his apprentice in hopes the aging guardian would choose him to be his successor when he died. Although loyal to the aging guardian and even successfully outclassing the Makyan Garlic who competed with him, he was ultimately denied by the old guardian because of his selfish desire to become guardian due to its benefits, and because of the evil that dwelled within, although the Nameless Namek was a majority good.
He finally became Kami after separating the evil from within himself in order to attain the position, forming an evil twin brother calling himself King Piccolo who shared a lifeline with him (if one died, the other would also). He watched over the Earth from his lookout during King Piccolo and his mutated sons' initial rampage but eventually in a series of long, complicated circumstances they were defeated by the forces of Master Mutaito. He later created the Dragon Balls to give the people of Earth hope and encourage acts of bravery after King Piccolo's reign, though he later regretted it until he met the pure hearted Goku.
King Piccolo Saga
Main article: King Piccolo Saga Three hundred years later, at the conclusion of the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament, Emperor Pilaf frees King Piccolo and soon after Krillin murdered by Piccolo's newest son, Tambourine. It is later revealed King Piccolo seeks to destroy all existing martial artists to prevent any challengers from learning the Evil Containment Wave that trapped him. King Piccolo also seeks the Dragon Balls to restore his youth before taking over the world again. After Cymbal and Tambourine are mysteriously killed, King Piccolo encounters the young Goku and in the ensuing fight Goku is seemingly killed.
After a battle in which Master Roshi dies, King Piccolo eventually summons Shenron. After killing Chiaotzu, he has his wish for youth granted. Soon after, King Piccolo then kills Shenron to prevent anyone else from using the dragon against him. King Piccolo next invades King Furry's castle and takes him hostage. The next day while about to leave for the doomed West City, King Piccolo is confronted again by Goku, who narrowly defeats him by punching him clean through his midsection.
With all his sons dead and himself mortally wounded, King Piccolo spits out one last egg containing his son and reincarnation Piccolo Jr. intended to exact revenge on Goku and thus also sparing Kami's life in the process before he explodes.
Piccolo Jr. Saga
Main article: Piccolo Jr. Saga
Shortly after Goku arrives at Kami's mysterious lookout and meets his loyal servant Mr. Popo. Kami agrees to meet with Goku without the long rigorous training required to beat Mr. Popo and, upon seeing Kami, Goku mistakes him for King Piccolo and charges at him, but Kami merely flicks him away. After explaining his origins, Kami, as a reward to Goku for defeating Piccolo, revives Shenron so that all the innocents killed by Piccolo and his sons can be removed from limbo and brought back to life, but then informs Goku he must train under him for three years in order to defeat Piccolo Jr. who would be seeking to challenge him at the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament.
During this period, Kami restores the moon, which had been destroyed by Master Roshi six years earlier, and permanently removes Goku's tail. He also gave Goku weighted undershirt, wristbands, and boots.
Three years later, Goku arrives at the tournament and Kami enters as well, but inside the body of Hero, after realizing Piccolo Jr. is even stronger than his father now. During the tournament, Kami defeats Yajirobe and Yamcha with extreme ease, managing to completely dominate each battle, and embarrassing Yamcha in their match, however, Yamcha does manage to hit Kami with the Spirit Ball before getting knocked out, which surprises Kami. While he fights the two, he acts clumsily and awkwardly in order to fool the audience and not to raise any suspicion. After defeating the two, Kami attempts to trap Piccolo Jr. with the Evil Containment Wave, but at the last second Piccolo Jr. reverses it and Kami finds himself trapped within a Klein Bottle, but exits from Hero's body so he will not be trapped with him. Piccolo then swallows the bottle, so that if Goku tries to get Kami out, Piccolo will die and so will Kami. Later, Goku frees Kami by tricking Piccolo into growing huge so he could go inside his mouth, and eventually defeats Piccolo Jr. Goku shows him mercy because Kami would die as well were he to kill him. Still full of guilt, Kami offers Goku his position, but Goku declines to keep his promise to marry Chi-Chi and flies off on Nimbus with her.
Dragon Ball Z
Five years later, Kami continues to watch over the Earth, and it appears Goku and Piccolo clashing once again is inevitable, but one day a mysterious alien named Raditz lands on earth in search of his brother, Kakarot. Raditz's power and aspirations are even worse than Piccolo's, in that Raditz is far stronger and could also destroy the Earth, rather than make it his kingdom like Piccolo aspired to. Eventually with Goku's help, who had to sacrifice himself as a result, and an intervention from his son Gohan, Piccolo defeats Raditz. After learning two even more powerful Saiyans are on their way to Earth, Kami brings Goku to King Yemma's office and is able to get him training with King Kai, the king of the Northern Quadrant of the universe who lives in the Other World on his personal planet at the end of the Snake Way. Kami trains Krillin, Tien Shinhan, Yamcha, Chiaotzu and Yajirobe for the fight as well. When Goku reaches back to the Check-In Station, Kami brings him back to Earth. During the initial struggle with Vegeta and Nappa, Piccolo is killed when he sacrifices himself to save Gohan, and Kami dies soon after.
Main article: Frieza Saga Kami remains dead until Piccolo was brought back to life. After his revival, as well as during the destruction of Namek, he is briefed on the plan to evacuate everyone except Frieza from Namek by collecting the Earth Dragon Balls, and then wishing for everyone who was killed by Frieza and his army, whether directly or indirectly, and then wishing them to Earth. In addition, he inadvertently revealed to King Kai, when he contacted him on a pressing matter, that Piccolo was not only alive, but Planet Namek was not quite as destroyed as initially believed.
Garlic Jr. Saga
Main article: Garlic Jr. Saga
Afterwards, Kami was captured by the released Garlic Jr., and imprisoned in a container. He remained in there until Piccolo seized on the opportunity to shatter their prison (Piccolo faked being under the influence of the Black Water Mist in order to lure Garlic Jr to get him close enough to the container to free them). Afterwards, he went deep into the lookout to use the Sacred Water to counteract the Black Water Mist before it permanently brainwashed the populace to Garlic Jr.'s side, although not without nearly being killed by the previous guardians, and Piccolo with him, in the process.
Kami's role diminished greatly after the heroes return to Earth from Namek from what it had been prior to their journey, and by the Androids Saga, he was no longer needed for training or wisdom. Because of this, and out of concern for a then unknown threat, he agrees to fuse with the reincarnated and redeemed Piccolo to return to being the original nameless Namekian. The new Piccolo would go on to fight Cell, but never manages to kill him through various complicated events. Because he is a Namekian, he also has the ability to create Dragon Balls, but this is not a skill that most Guardians would have.
Despite being essentially a god, the person who acts as Kami is not necessarily supremely powerful. Kami was the strongest fighter in the series during and after King Piccolo's final rampage that was ended by Goku, but by the time Vegeta came to Earth, virtually all of the main Z Fighters and their enemies are more powerful than Kami and his role becomes more of a support one at best. Piccolo even remarks once, "the only reason you even exist now is for the Dragon Balls".
Dragon Ball Super
Universe Survival Saga
Main article: Universe Survival Saga
Kami and Nail made a brief appearance inside Piccolo's mind while he was unconscious during the Tournament of Power and instruct him to keep fighting.
Kami first appears at The Lookout weakened by the attack on Piccolo by Garlic Junior and his henchmen though still alive. Kami unaware of who attacked Piccolo briefly wonders if Piccolo was beaten by Goku, before dismissing it as out of character before considering the possibility of Garlic Junior's involvement.
Kami decides to take action and confronts Garlic Jr. shortly after Goku arrives to take back the kidnapped Gohan. Kami reveals Garlic Jr. is the son of Garlic whom Kami competed against for the position of Guardian, but his predecessor had sensed Garlic's evil intentions and chose Kami over him, which caused Garlic to try and take the position by force only to be sealed by Kami's predecessor. He also stated that Garlic's final words were that he would have his revenge in 300 years, though Kami himself never suspected that Garlic would entrust his revenge to his son. Garlic Junior notes that if he hadn't attained the position of Kami then Kami would not have to die so Garlic Jr. could avenge his father. While Garlic Jr.'s henchmen chase after Goku who runs off in search of Gohan, Kami confronts Garlic Jr. Kami states that he will not die so easily, though Garlic Jr. reveals that he has been granted eternal life by Shenron, though Kami is unconcerned and calls Garlic Jr. a fool. Garlic Jr. attacks Kami with three Full Power Energy Balls, though Kami dodges them and counterattacks using his Eye Laser, though Garlic Jr. dodges the laser beam and headbutts Kami in the chest before blasting him away with a Ki Blast. Garlic then proceeds to beat the helpless Kami until pillar Kami was resting against shatters from the beating. Dropping his staff, Garlic Junior grabs Kami by his cloak to kill him personally. However Kami recovers and blasts him away with an Explosive Wave. However Garlic Junior manages to defeat him once more off screen. In a desperate last bid to stop Garlic Junior, Kami decides to use Self Destruction though Garlic Junior points out that his immortality means Kami will die in vain. Fortunately for Kami, Piccolo and Goku step up to fight Garlic Jr. He is later saved by Goku when Super Garlic Jr. fires an energy wave in the direction of Goku, Piccolo, and Kami. Goku tells Kami to stay were he is and Kami tells him that he is counting on him to stop Garlic Junior. After Piccolo and Goku defeat Garlic Jr. by working together, Kami congratulates him, but Piccolo tells him to stay back as he plans to settle things with Goku. However the fight is interrupted by Garlic Jr. who survives due to his immortality and attempts to imprison all his enemies by opening the Dead Zone via a technique developed by his father Garlic. Kami manages to grab onto a pillar though it is later destroyed as an enraged Gohan struggles with Super Garlic Junior, though he is saved by Gohan knocking Garlic Junior into the Dead Zone. After Garlic Jr.'s defeat, Krillin ask Kami what happened to him and Kami explains he fell into the Dead Zone he had created and will live their for the rest of eternity and that Garlic Jr. will likely regret wishing for eternal life.
- Manga and Anime
In Dragon Ball, Kami is stated to be more powerful than Mr. Popo, who easily defeats Goku who at that point had defeated King Piccolo. Kami also easily flicks Goku away with his mere finger, and Kami tells Piccolo Jr. that King Piccolo was "always the weaker half" while fighting in the 23rd World Tournament, and is able to hold his own against Piccolo while possessing a weaker body. However, Kami also states during Goku's battle against Piccolo that Goku had surpassed him. Thus, Kami is stronger than King Piccolo and Mr. Popo but weaker than Goku had been at the 23rd World Tournament. Guru notes that the Nameless Namekian splitting in two halved his power.
In Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone, Kami battles an untransformed Garlic Jr and is only able to briefly hold his own against him before being beaten. He is implied to be weaker than Piccolo by this point as Piccolo had been training to defeat Goku and was able to hold his own against Super Garlic Junior, though Piccolo had the advantage of being in his physical prime.
- Statements by authors and guidebooks
In an issue of Weekly Jump, his power level when meeting Goku is placed at 220, which is weaker than King Piccolo's 260 when his youth is restored. The movie pamphlet for Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might states that Kami has a power level of 400.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Flight – Kami can fly by simply controlling his energy and push out ki from underneath, as he was seen doing in Hero's body in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament.
- Godly ki sense - As the Guardian of Earth, Kami possesses the ability to sense godly ki.
- Afterimage Technique – Kami used this against Piccolo while possessing Hero.
- Energy Cannon – Kami can shoot a visible blast of energy from his palm.
- Eye Lasers – A thin laser-like beam is shot from both eyes.
- Explosive Wave – Kami uses this against Garlic Jr. in Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone and the Garlic Jr. Saga.
- Explosive God Wave (Bakurikishinha) – The super attack of young Kami, it is the positive counterpart of the Explosive Demon Wave.
- Exploding Wave – An invisible ki blast of a sudden wind attack that can be launched theoretically from any part of the body. Kami used this against Piccolo while possessing Hero.
- Evil Containment Wave – Kami attempted this technique to seal Piccolo Jr. in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament but ended up sealed himself by Piccolo Jr.'s Evil Containment Wave.
- Finger Beam – Kami can shoot an energy blast from his index finger. Called "Ryu Jin Koudan" in Dragon Ball Heroes
- Magic Materialization – The Dragon Clan's ability to create objects from nothing. Kami uses this to restore Goku's clothes that were wrecked by Piccolo Jr. in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament, he proved skilled enough with this ability to create a moon years after the previous one was destroyed by Roshi. Prodigies from the Dragon Clans also have the ability to create Dragon Balls. Kami used this to create the Earth's Dragon Balls giving life to the Eternal Dragon Shenron. After creating the Dragon Balls, if the creator dies (or fuses with another Namekian) the Dragon Balls are rendered inert until the creator is either resurrected or the Dragon Balls restored by another Dragon Clan member.
- Instantaneous Movement – A technique that allows its user to instantly teleport to another planet, place or person. Kami uses this technique to transport people from the Other World to the living world. Also called Kai Kai.
- Self Destruction – Kami can convert his life force into energy to create a powerful explosion that can range for miles; he tries to use this on Garlic Jr. but stops due to Piccolo and Goku's intervention.
- Telepathy – The ability to channel one's thoughts to another being.
- Possession – Kami was able to overshadow, or otherwise control Hero so as to disguise himself during the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament.
- Namekian Fusion – In the manga and anime Kami uses this to fuse with Piccolo. In the Dragon Ball Collectible Card Game Kami can fuse with any in-game Namekian, thus becoming a Super Namek if he fuses with Piccolo or King Piccolo. In Xenoverse, Percel mentions a timeline where King Piccolo somehow managed to fuse with Kami, causing King Piccolo to become a Super Namek capable of producing Mutated Namekians powerful enough to wage war with the Red Ribbon Androids and Babidi's Forces in a three-way war.
Forms and transformations
Main article: Hero
In order to participate in the World Tournament without being recognized, Kami takes over the body of a man named Hero (Shen in the original version). In this form Kami cannot use all of his power, though he was still strong enough to face Piccolo Jr. when he was wearing his weighted clothes.
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden
- Dragon Ball Z Arcade
- Dragon Ball Z: Goku Hishōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Kakusei-Hen
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legend
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- Jump Super Stars
- Dragon Ball Z: Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- IC Carddass Dragon Ball
In Dragon Ball Heroes, Kami makes his debut as a playable character in the fourth mission of the God Mission series (GDM4).
- Japanese: Takeshi Aono (most media), Bin Shimada (DB Kai episode 66 onwards)
- Ocean Group dub: Dale Wilson (DBZ episodes 6-22 (4-16 edited), 137-141 (122-126 edited)), Ward Perry (DBZ episodes 25-37 (18-27 edited), DBZ movie 1), Scott McNeil (young)
- FUNimation dub: Chris Forbis (original DBZ episode 76 (62 edited)), Christopher R. Sabat (most media including re-mastered episode 76)
- Blue Water dub: Mike Shepherd
- AB Groupe dub: Ed Marcus
- Latin American dub: Carlos Segundo (Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z), César Árias (Dragon Ball Z Kai)
- Portuguese dub: António Semedo
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Fábio Tomazine (Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z), João Batista (Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone), Roberto Prates (Dragon Ball Z Kai)
- Hungarian dub: Antal Konrád
- Italian dub: Mario Zucca
- Spanish dub: Jorge Tomé
- Croatian dub: Matko Knešaurek
- German dub: Rainer Doering
- Greek dub: Themis Psihogios
- Hebrew dub: Nir Ron, Giora Kenneth
- Thai dub: Manoon Raeungchemeun
- Tagalog Dub: Louie Paraboles
- Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z
- Kami vs. Garlic Jr.
- The name Kami or Kami-sama, meaning a god or God in Japanese, refers to his position rather than his original name. This is why where everyone is surprised at the mention of the name "Kami" in the first portion of the Piccolo Jr. Saga, even though they had never heard of him before. The name is left untranslated in English language media, most likely to avoid offending religious beliefs. As a result, it loses the comedic shock value found in the original Japanese version.
- Though King Piccolo and his sons were originally considered demons, Kami and the original Nameless Namek would not have been considered demons. Therefore, the origin of Kami's true species remained a mystery until the fight with Vegeta and Nappa.
- During his fight against Yamcha in Hero's body, Kami actually tells Yamcha that he is a visitor from another planet (foreshadowing his Namekian origins). This seems to contradict his later statement that he had no recollection of being an alien, though he did admit he wondered about his antenna, indicating that he may have suspected that he was not originally from Earth.
- This error was present only in the English dub, as Hero was named Shen in Japanese, which gives the hint that Shen, an abbreviation for Shenron, is actually Kami in disguise.
- It is believed by some that Kami is somehow connected with the Ultra Divine Water, due to his symbol actually appearing on the pot containing the water before Kami himself appears. However, it is likely all guardians wear the symbol (as evident by the fact his successor, Dende was also sometimes portrayed wearing it).
- Kami and Master Roshi have several similarities: both end up teaching Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha, and they both give their students clothing (Master Roshi gave his students the turtle outfit; Kami gave weighted clothes) and they both participated in the World Martial Arts Tournament while disguised (Kami as Hero and Master Roshi as Jackie Chun). Both characters also learned the Evil Containment Wave from seeing it performed on King Piccolo by Roshi's master Mutaito.
|World Martial Arts Tournament|
|Staff||World Tournament Chairman • World Tournament Announcer/Future World Tournament Announcer • Preliminaries Referee • Guide • Registration Staff Member|
|Pre-21st Tournament Debut||King Chappa • Spike the Devil Man|
|21st Tournament Debut||Bacterian • Bruce Lee Impersonator • Bullies of the Orin Temple • Giran • Goku • Jackie Chun (Master Roshi) • Krillin • Nam • Ranfan • Yamcha|
|22nd Tournament Debut||Anton the Great • Archdemon • Chiaotzu • Cyclops • Man-Wolf • Mohawked Fighter • Orc • Pamput • Saber tiger • Shaman • Sumo Wrestler • Tien Shinhan|
|23rd Tournament Debut||Anonymous (Chi-Chi) • Catman • Hero (Kami) • Cyborg Tao • Demon Jr. (Piccolo) • Yajirobe|
|24th Tournament Debut||Jewel • Killa • Mighty Mask • Mr. Satan • Pintar • Spopovich • Videl|
|25th Tournament Debut||Android 18 • Goten • Great Saiyaman (Gohan) • Idasa • Ikose • Kadopi • Kibito • Koryuu • Pyonatt • Shin (Supreme Kai) • Trunks • Vegeta • Yamu|
|28th Tournament Debut||Captain Chicken • Mr. Buu • Nareg • Nok • Otokosuki • Pan • Uub • Wild Tiger|
|31st Tournament Debut||Charlie • Matt Cat • Mugley • Papayaman (Majuub) • Super One|
|64th Tournament Debut||Goku Jr. • Vegeta Jr.|