|Alternate names||Energy Cannon|
Kobushi no Shōgekiha
Kamehameha Hane Kaeshi
Ki Blast Cannon
|Debut||Manga: "Match No. 2"|
Anime: "Quarterfinals Continue"
|Color||or or &|
|Similar techniques||Exploding Wave|
Invisible Eye Blast
Kiai (気合い or 気合砲, Kiai-hō; lit. "Kiai Cannon" or "Ki Blast Cannon") is a ki attack that appears throughout the Dragon Ball franchise. It is a very powerful, white-clear force that emits from the user's body and that inflicts severe damage to the surrounding area. Alternatively, this force can be used to dispel weaker attacks (variation called Kiai Keshi in Daizenshuu 7), as shown by Tien Shinhan and Pikkon on few occasions.
The blast's power, speed, range, and force vary based on its user; however, there are also variations of the technique that have been shown to have different effects. For example, Goku's version is oftentimes projected from his hands, but it can also be released from his eyes. Tien's version can also be released from his hands, and can deflect and nullify ki blasts with no damage done to his surroundings. However, Uub's variation seems to channel and release the technique from his entire body, and was shown to be able to lift the tiled flooring of the World Martial Arts Tournament's arena. Furthermore, unlike the other variations, the power of Uub's Kiai is fueled by his rage rather than the concentration of his ki. Android 17 can fire a kiai from his palm that explodes upon contact with the opponent and uses it in lieu of energy attacks. In the Budokai Tenkaichi series and the Raging Blast series, it is available as a smash attack combo. In Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi, in full power ki mode, it can be used as an additional attack if one uses the smash attack rush; the user will kiai blast the opponent into some random large rocks.
- Future Trunks
- Tien Shinhan
- Master Roshi
- Android 18
- Android 17
- Android 16
- Meta-Cooler (used to end the "You Are Stronger Than I Expected" counterattack)
- Cell (used to end the "Fear Me!" rush)
- Pikkon (also used during the "No Running " rush)
- Mr. Satan
- Supreme Kai
- Majin Buu
- Super Buu
- Kid Buu
- Baby Vegeta
- Eis Shenron
- Omega Shenron
- Goku Jr.
- Exploding Wave – Version from the Kiai that also affects the battle field.
- Spirit Shot – Version from the Kiai fired from both hands, on two different directions, and at the same time. Used by Goku.
- Invisible Eye Blast – A Kiai shot from the eyes.
- In Akira Toriyama's 1998 manga, Kajika, the Kiai technique is used extensively by members of the Kawa tribe, such as Kajika and Isaza.
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22 U.S. version, 2003
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ Budokai Tenkaichi video game series
- ↑ Budokai video game series
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku, 1993
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World, 2008
- ↑ Dragon Ball Heroes, 2010
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might, 1990