"The fear inside you swells, but I'll replace it with pain."
King Chappa is a Human warrior who was once the world martial arts champion, using his famous eight-handed technique. He lives at the address SSR 249905 C with his wife Ruhna and their three children Sapa, Peruka and Chapu.
Tien Shinhan Saga
Main article: Tien Shinhan Saga
King Chappa enters the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament where he faces the young Goku in the preliminaries. Yamcha having heard of King Chappa tells Krillin that last time he participated he won a World Martial Arts Tournament without being touched the whole time.
When Jackie Chun (Master Roshi) sees him, he exclaims Goku is in for a sticky fight. During the fight Goku takes to the air causing Master Roshi to believe he made a critical blunder as he can't move freely and is open to attack but just as King Chappa is about to strike, Goku let's out a deep breathe slowing his movement and causing King ChappaWhen to miss. Goku counters with a kick of his own which knocks King ChappaWhen out of the ring.
King Piccolo Saga
Main article: King Piccolo Saga
The night the Tournament ended, King Chappa is shown already training with a large group of loyal students at his temple. Soon, he is targeted by Tambourine, who announces that he is there to kill him. Chappa attempts to use his eight-handed technique to defend himself, but he is easily killed by Tambourine who mocks the technique and uses an advanced One-Hundred Arms variant. Chappa dies from the powerful punches and the impact of the wall. Some of his students attempt to avenge him, but they are killed as well.
Piccolo Jr. Saga
Main article: Piccolo Jr. Saga Three years after being returned to life, King Chappa competes in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. He rematches Goku in the preliminaries, but is defeated again, this time with much less effort after Goku uses his speed to quickly get behind him and chop him in the back of the neck. Chappa never makes another appearance after this.
King Chappa is a powerful martial artist who was once able to become champion of an unknown previous World Martial Arts Tournament without taking even a single blow and has a high reputation amongst other acclaimed fighters like Yamcha and Master Roshi. Despite that he was no match for Goku or Tambourine.
- Hasshu-ken – King Chappa's signature technique where he moves his arms fast enough that they seemingly have eight of them, allowing him to attack and defend himself much more efficiently.
King Chappa makes minor appearances losing to Goku in Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen, in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament in Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Kakusei-Hen and Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans. He also appears in Dragon Ball Online.
- Japanese: Hidekatsu Shibata
- English Funimation dub: Sonny Strait
- English Blue Water dub: Roger Rhodes
- Latin American dub: Humberto Solórzano
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Francisco Brêtas
- King Chappa is similar to Mr. Satan including the fact that he was once World Martial Arts Champion before Goku and his friends enter the tournament. They also both have afros and the same styled mustache, only that Chappa is on the spiritual side while Satan is on the celebrity.
- King Chappa's clothes and appearance are similar to Nam's, a fighter who also once faced Goku in a match held at the World Tournament. Interestingly enough, Nam's 2nd outfit in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is almost exactly the same as King Chappa's besides the turban. In Chapter 14 of Dragon Ball SD, these similarities are parodied by Master Roshi saying that Nam will later return as King Chappa.
- When he meets Goku again after being revived, he recounts his battle with Tambourine, but strangely claims that he actually survived the encounter. It is unknown if this means he was merely rendered comatose during the fight, or if he had not realized his death was for real.
- King Chappa's name comes from the Indian dish chapati.