"The fear inside you swells, but I'll replace it with pain."
King Chappa is a Human warrior who was once the world martial arts champion, using his famous eight-handed technique. He lives at the address SSR 249905 C with his wife Ruhna and their three children Sapa, Peruka and Chapu.
It is said King Chappa won a World Martial Arts Tournament without being touched the whole time.
22nd World Martial Arts TournamentEdit
King Chappa enters the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament and faces the young Goku in the preliminaries. When Jackie Chun (Roshi) sees him, he exclaims Goku is in for a sticky fight. He is, however, defeated by Goku, surprising everyone, including Chappa himself.
The night the tournament ended, King Chappa is shown already training with a large group of loyal students at his temple. Soon, he is targeted by Tambourine, who announces that he is there to kill him. Chappa attempts to use his eight-handed technique to defend himself, but he is easily killed by Tambourine who mocks the technique and uses an advanced One-Hundred Arms variant. Chappa dies from the powerful punches and the impact of the wall. Some of his students attempt to avenge him, but they are killed as well.
23rd World Martial Arts TournamentEdit
Three years after being returned to life, King Chappa competes in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. He rematches Goku in the preliminaries, but is defeated again, this time with much less effort. Chappa never makes another appearance.
King Chappa is a powerful martial artist who was once able to become champion of an unknown previous World Martial Arts Tournament without taking even a single blow and has a high reputation amongst other acclaimed fighters like Yamcha and Roshi. Despite that he was no match for Goku or Tambourine.
- Hasshu-ken – King Chappa's signature technique where he moves his arms fast enough that they seemingly have eight of them, allowing him to attack and defend himself much more efficiently.
Video game appearancesEdit
King Chappa makes minor appearances losing to Goku in Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen, in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament in Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Kakusei-Hen and Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans.
A character who looks similar to him appears in Dragon Ball Online.
- Japanese: Hidekatsu Shibata
- English Funimation dub: Sonny Strait
- English Blue Water dub: Roger Rhodes
- Latin American dub: Humberto Solórzano
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Francisco Brêtas
- King Chappa is similar to Mr. Satan including the fact that he was once World Martial Arts Champion before Goku and his friends enter the tournament. They also both have afros and the same styled mustache, only that Chappa is on the spiritual side while Satan is on the celebrity.
- King Chappa's clothes and appearance are similar to Nam's, a fighter who also once faced Goku in a match held at the World Tournament. Interestingly enough, Nam's 2nd outfit in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is almost exactly the same as King Chappa's besides the turban. In Chapter 14 of Dragon Ball SD, these similarities are parodied by Master Roshi saying that Nam will later return as King Chappa.
- When he meets Goku again after being revived, he recounts his battle with Tambourine, but strangely claims that he actually survived the encounter. It is unknown if this means he was merely rendered comatose during the fight, or if he had not realized his death was for real.
- King Chappa's name comes from the Indian dish chapati.