King Furry (国王, Koku-ō; lit. "King of Nations") is an anthropomorphic dog who is the current King of Earth during the Dragon Ball series. He assumed his position in Age 733. The king is described as a splendid person, and is one of the few citizens of Earth who knows that Goku is the planet's true hero rather than Mr. Satan.
King Piccolo Saga
Main article: King Piccolo Saga
Though he is a politically important person in the Dragon Ball universe, he is of little significance to the storyline until the King Piccolo Saga, when King Piccolo goes to King Castle in Central City and temporarily usurps his throne.
Just before King Piccolo began his new rampage, King Furry was waiting for a celebration for himself where several people from all over Dragon World would give him gifts for his great services. Unfortunately, he is confronted by King Piccolo and Piano, who take over Furry's kingship when Piccolo displays his power.
Dragon Ball Z
Main article: Cell Games Saga
King Furry returns in Dragon Ball Z, making three appearances in the Cell Games Saga. He first appears on TV after the royal military is destroyed. Later, while watching the broadcast of the Cell Games, he recognizes Goku as the same boy who once defeated King Piccolo, remarking in the process on the current Piccolo's resemblance to the former Demon King. In his final appearance, he is shown being asked if the military forces of Earth should attack Cell. He decides against it, knowing that Goku is the only one strong enough to defeat Cell.
Majin Buu Saga
Main article: Kid Buu Saga During the Fusion Saga, King Furry is killed, along with the rest of Earth's population, when Super Buu unleashes his Human Extinction Attack. He is later seen in the Kid Buu Saga sharing his energy with the rest of Earth to help Goku create a Spirit Bomb strong enough to defeat Kid Buu.
Dragon Ball GT
Main article: Baby Saga
Shadow Dragon Saga
Main article: Shadow Dragon Saga He appears in the last few episodes of the saga, wherein he is killed along with most of the people of Earth when Omega Shenron attacks. He is later revived by Shenron.
- Japanese: Joji Yanami
- Ocean Group dub: Steve Olson (Dragon Ball) and Richard Newman (Dragon Ball Z)
- Funimation dub: Kyle Hebert
- Apparently dogs have been the Kings of Earth for a while, as portraits of past dog kings are seen behind King Furry in the episode "Dende's Dragon".
- It is possible that one of King Furry's ancestors used the Dragon Balls to wish for royalty, as it was stated a few times in Dragon Ball that the first person to use the Dragon Balls wished to become the king; this may also explain why Earth is ruled by a single person.
- In the 172nd episode of Dragon Ball Z, King Furry recites a quote by U.S. president Franklin D. Roosevelt: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."