- This article is about the character. For the Dragon Ball episode, see Major Metallitron.
Major Metallitron (メタリック軍曹) is an antagonist who appears in the Dragon Ball manga, the anime Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT, and a few Dragon Ball films. He is an android created by the Red Ribbon Army, and Goku's second challenge in the Muscle Tower.
Metallitron's appearance and speech pattern suggest that he is likely based on the main antagonist of the 1984 film The Terminator, played by Arnold Schwarzenegger. This is further evident when Goku says "You're back?", to which Metallitron responds "I'm back!" Also, one of the enemies based on him in the video game Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden is even called Terminator.
Due to his android functions, Metallitron is very stoic and follows any given assignment to him with no hesitation, as his duty is to stop anyone from advancing past the third floor of the Muscle Tower, even if it means killing them.
Red Ribbon Army Saga
Main article: Red Ribbon Army Saga
Major Metallitron first appears when Goku is advancing through Muscle Tower to save the Jingle Village Chief. When Goku arrives on Metallitron's floor, General White orders Metallitron to kill Goku, which he proceeds to do by starting to squish Goku. However, Goku escapes from Metallitron's grasp. At one point, Goku accidentally blows off his head (and exposes a metal plate in his chest) using a Kamehameha, but even that does not stop Metallitron from continuing his rampage (though in the manga, he stops after a short time). Even without a head and eventually losing both wrists, he tries to repeatedly stomp Goku flat. Goku later impales him through the back with his Power Pole, and then headbutts through him, leaving a much larger hole. Despite the considerable damage done to his body, the major continues his assault on Goku, only stopping when his batteries (which had not been replaced since the previous spring) are drained of their energy. It is the first time in the series a villain is actually able to take a couple hits from Goku and a Kamehameha, and continue fighting.
Dragon Ball GT
Super 17 Saga
Main article: Super 17 Saga
Metallitron appears again in Dragon Ball GT, escaping from Hell alongside other previously defeated antagonists. He is seen firing his Rocket Punch into a building, causing massive destruction, but is soon destroyed by a single kick from Pan. Shortly later, back in Hell, Metallitron is shown approaching Piccolo alongside General Blue, Nappa, and Staff Officer Black.
Main article: Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure
At one point in the movie, it is revealed Metallitron's head can be re-attached if knocked off his shoulders. He is defeated by Goku flying through his stomach.
The Path to Power
Main article: Dragon Ball: The Path to Power
In this version he has dark skin and no hair, and is defeated by Goku much more quickly than compared to in the original.
Manga and anime
While not as powerful as many androids introduced later on in the series he was still able to give Goku some trouble, which led him to believe that Major Metallitron was strong enough to take part in the World Martial Arts Tournament.
Statements according to authors and guidebooks
- 3D Scan Mode – A mode that allows for advanced scanning of enemies.
- Flight – Major Metallitron can fly, as seen in the Super 17 Saga of Dragon Ball GT.
- Blaster – An energy beam fired from the left arm. Major Metallitron disconnects his left elbow to reveal a cannon inside his arm, and fires a green energy wave at the opponent. Used in Dragon Ball: Origins 2. It is very similar to Android 16's Hell's Beam.
- Rocket Crush – Major Metallitron can fire his fist off his arm to strike the opponent. Named in the Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game.
- Mouth Missile – Major Metallitron can fire a missile out of his mouth.
- Crushing in Hands – Major Metallitron grabs his opponent in a powerful grip to crush their bones.
- Machine Impact-like technique – In Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo, Major Metallitron uses an attack similar to Android 16's Machine Impact.
Major Metallitron appears in Dragon Ball: Dragon Daihikyou, Dragon Ball: Shenron no Nazo, Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden, and Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen. He is both a boss and playable character in Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure, and he is a boss in Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo and in Dragon Ball: Origins 2. In Sheron no Nazo, Major Metallitron appears as a boss in a story set after the Pilaf Saga, where Goku participates in a Kung Fu Tournament (not to be confused with the World Martial Arts Tournament). Goku defeats Krillin in his first match and confronts Major Metallitron in his second one. Goku wins and proceeds to fight Yamcha and Buyon in the finals.
Major Metallitron appears in two bonus levels in Dragon Ball: Origins 2, levels 2-8 and 4-6. In bonus level 2-8, Metallitron takes control of the Muscle Tower after his batteries reloaded after General White's defeat, and orders the Muscle Tower soldiers to steal Jingle Village's supplies while Android 8 is at Penguin Village to remove the Android Bomb in his chest. When Android 8 returns to the village, he goes to Muscle Tower and beats Major Metallitron. After his defeat, Metallitron takes a long walk and arrives at Penguin Village, where he meets King Nikochan and his servant (bonus level 4-6). He befriends them and tries to help them settle accounts with Arale Norimaki, since he says that his friends' enemies are his enemies, but Arale defeats him and puts his head on her body to celebrate her victory.
- Japanese: Shin Aomori
- Harmony Gold dub (Movie 3): Bill Capizzi
- FUNimation dub: Chris Rager, Christopher Sabat (The Path to Power)
- Ocean dub: David Kaye
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Afonso Amajones
- Metallitron is the only known high-ranking Red Ribbon official (in this case, a major) who is not directly named after a color (although part of his name is derived from "metallic" which is also part of a specific kind of color [e.g., metallic yellow or metallic gray]), and is not organic.
- Metallitron is the only Android created by the Red Ribbon Army to not be numbered (it should be noted that Cell was created by Dr. Gero's Computer many years after the army's destruction) and the only Android to actually hold leadership rank within the army itself.
- Major Metallitron was one of the first characters to figure out that Goku is an alien from space. He does so after scanning Goku, his scanner displaying that Goku is an alien. However, due to lack of human contact with Saiyans, it was unsure of what type of alien it was.
- Interestingly, Major Metallitron's scan of Goku mention a science officer, possibly referring to Dr. Gero as he was involved in development of Red Ribbon Army's Android soldiers. It is possible that Dr. Gero might have received some of the scan data from Metallitron before he was destroyed (or recovered the scan data from Metallitron's remains) allowing Gero to discover that Goku was an alien even before the arrival of Raditz.
- In "Master Thief, Hasky", someone resembling him can be seen in the background on a poster in Bulma's room not wearing his sunglasses.
- His name in the VIZ localization of the manga, Full Metal Jacket, is derived from a type of bullet and is also a 1987 war film.
- The text shown in Major Metallitron's scan of Goku (see image) is similar to an exchange between the character Ellen Ripley and the computer "Mother" from the 1979 film Alien.
|Bio-Androids||Sandmen • Yorgans • Failed Experiments • Present Cell/Cell/Future Cell (Cells) • Cell Jrs. • Genome|
|Bio-Warriors||Bio-Men • Kishime • Misokatsun • Ebifurya • Bio-Broly|
|Red Ribbon Androids||Major Metallitron • Prototype Android (Super) • Android 8 (Future) • Android 9 • Android 13 • Android 14 • Android 15 • Android 16 (Future • Perfect) • Android 17 (Future • Hell Fighter • Super • Cell) • Android 18 (Future • Arale) • Android 19 • Android 20 (Future) • Android 33 • Android 44 • Android 55 • Android 76 • Android 1617 • Android 1718 • Android 1920 • Android 8000 • Android 19000|
|Other Androids||Arale Norimaki • Obotchaman • Dr. Kochin • Dr. Wheelo • Cacao • Cyclopian Guard • Mecha Goku • Meta-Cooler • Mira • Guide Robo • Hatchiyack • Nimu • Nico|
|Related articles||Dr. Collie • Dr. Flappe • Dr. Mashirito • Caramel Man • Dr. Raichi • Machine Mutants • Senbei Norimaki|