When first used in the series by its inventor, King Piccolo originally fires two energy waves one after another; the first to distract the opponent and the second to actually hit them head on. This is changed in later uses of the technique.
According to a flashback during a mind reading that Grand Elder Guru mades in Krillin, King Piccolo used this attack to destroy a city. King Piccolo uses this attack to knock Goku out at the end of their first confrontation. This use also stops Goku's heart temporarily, which leads to King Piccolo to believe that Goku had been killed from the blast. King Piccolo later uses the attack to kill Chiaotzu, and once again against Goku during their final confrontation.
During the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament, Piccolo uses a two-handed Explosive Demon Wave similar to the Makosen against Goku, however the Saiyan confronts and wins Namekian's wave with his Super Kamehameha
In the anime, Piccolo uses this attack alongside Krillin's Kamehameha for a combined attack against Nappa during their battle at Paprika Wasteland. The attack is ineffective on the powerful Saiyan, though. In the manga, Piccolo instead uses a two handed Special Beam Cannon.
In The Lookout, Piccolo (pretending to be infected by Black Water Mist) uses two similar energy waves combined with his Scatter Shot against Gohan (that with much effort can deflect it). A little later, near the Dead Zone, Piccolo again uses a similar energy wave, but this time to combat Super Garlic Jr.'s Belly Blast.
Only in the anime, Piccolo uses the technique during his battle on the Tropical Islands, shouting "Makosen Ha" when he fires it against Android 17. In this instance, Piccolo uses the technique in the form of an energy wave fired similar to the Kamehameha in order to finish off his Scatter Shot attack, but Android 17 evades the scatter shots with ease and then deflects the Makosenha, causing it to explode and rain down tiny orbs of energy.
In Dragonball Evolution, Lord Piccolo uses some similar attacks against Goku (who escapes and defends himself from his blasts), culminating in a Beam Struggle between Kamehameha airbending vs. Makosen.
- 魔 (Ma) = "Devil" / "demon" / "magic" / "evil".
- 光閃 (Kõsen / Kousen) = "Light ray" or "flash ray" / "light wave" or "flash wave" / "light blast" or "flash blast".
- ↑ Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z Kai episode 25, "Power Up, Krillin! Frieza's Mounting Apprehension!"
- ↑ Dragon Ball episode 110, "Piccolo Closes In"
- ↑ Dragon Ball episode 112, "King Piccolo's Wish"
- ↑ Dragon Ball episode 144, "Super Kamehameha"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 25, "Sacrifice"
- ↑ "The Last Blast"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 112, "Call for Restoration"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 116, "Brief Chance for Victory"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Zepisode 148, "The Monster is Coming"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 170, "A Girl Named Lime"
- ↑ Dragonball Evolution, 2009