"With my omniscient vision, I can see girls playing volleyball on the beach!"
Old Kai (老界王神 Rō Kaiōshin, lit. "Old God of the Kings of Worlds") is a deity from the fifteenth generation of Kai, advising the current Supreme Kai. In the Japanese anime he is usually called the Great Lord Kaioshin (大界王神 様 Dai Kaiōshin Sama, lit. "Great God of the Kings of Worlds").
Old Kai is average height, purple skinned, with a small tuft of white hair on his head and a small mustache on his face. His face is very wrinkled, showing his age. He wears a typical Kai outfit with teal underclothes. Prior to his Fusion with Old Witch, he had a purple mohawk and a much younger face, giving him an appearance similar to Shin.
Old Kai's personality and demeanor are very lecherous and self-centered, but with the capability to make a sacrifice at the right time if the need arises, very similar to Master Roshi. He has a very perverted mind and loves Dirty Magazines; as a matter of fact, one of Goku's first bribes to him was loaning him some of Master Roshi's "Girlie Magazines", much to Gohan and Shin's chagrin. It is shown during the Majin Buu Saga when Goku bribes him to find out a power that he is boasting about, but Old Kai says he can use his vision to see girls play beach volleyball (in the original manga, he simply states he can watch them strip if he needs to). He eventually accepts the offer to be able to kiss an Earth woman; in the original manga, it is pornography of one, and in the Japanese dub of the anime, it is to grope Bulma's breasts, much like Master Roshi wanted to multiple times throughout Dragon Ball and DBZ. He is also somewhat childish at times, as he throws a tantrum because he "can't see all the action" inside Buu, and also throwing a tantrum when he learned that the Namekian Dragon Balls had been altered, while also reading comedy comics while powering up Gohan and stating that he can not think on an empty stomach. He also falls asleep at inappropriate times, once during Gohan's power up. Despite these tendencies, he can be considered to be one of the wisest characters in the series as he has frequently displayed knowledge that no other Kai has shown, including the Potara Fusion, the fact that Super Buu follows Goten and Trunks into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and the knowledge of Super Saiyan 4 in Dragon Ball GT.
Old Kai has the power to raise a being's ability to more than their normal limits and beyond what anybody else can unlock, including Grand Elder Guru. This was gained from fusing with the Old Witch. He often boasts and calls it his "menacing capacities". The ritual begins with him slowly pacing around the participant for five hours making brief shouts. During that time the participant has to stand patiently. Afterwards, they both sit facing each other for twenty hours, a process that may take longer should the participant's potential be that much higher. During this time the participant must be still, but Old Kai is able to do things such as read, which further frustrates Gohan. He also has other powers like the ability to create objects out of nothing, a power common in the series, and the ability to view things in any world at any time (although for some reason, he is entirely unaware of the Dragon Balls' existence on Earth though he knows all about Majin Buu's reign of terror on the planet).
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, it is shown that he retains a grudge against Beerus for sealing him within the Z Sword and he has a bad habit of speaking to himself though loudly enough for other people to hear, which one Time Patrol attributes to his age. Despite his grudge he puts on a friendly act around Beerus when he accidentally bumps into the god when he appears in Conton City after Mira's defeat, though it is spoiled when he complains to himself loudly enough for Beerus to hear him and is almost destroyed by the deity, though is saved by the intervention of Whis. Additionally, his lecherous habits have not changed and several female Time Patrollers mention him peeking up their skirts or groping them. He even causes a female Majin to become worried about her body image for most of the game, after she overhears an him commenting to himself about her appearance. Though he usually manages to get away with it, one of the female Time Patrollers reveals she attacked him when he attempted to grope her while she was having tea with Chronoa, causing the Supreme Kai of Time to praise her for defending herself from Elder Kai's lecherousness. Despite these negative qualities, Elder Kai is shown to think highly of his student, the Future Warrior as he suggested them to Chronoa for the critical mission. However he tries to keep his true feelings from the Warrior in order to keep them from getting a big head and maintains a stern attitude around them, even denying his true opinion when Chronoa reveals how highly he thinks of the Warrior's abilities. He is shows concern for his student's well-being when they confront Mira in his final form, telling them to flee as Mira had become to powerful.
Interestingly he shows no interest in the Future Warrior if they are female, though this may be due to the fact most characters in the game tends to ignore the warrior's gender. However it is possible that he simply doesn't find them attractive or knows better than to try anything due to the warrior's power which he himself recognizes (he may just be fine with being around them if he did find them remotely attractive) or he may find their race unappealing as he seems to be unsure about the appearance of female Majin. The Warrior regardless of gender or race is shown to be aware of his lechery and even informs a female Time Patroller Elder Kai was probably using his trip and fall routine to look up her skirt, indicating he may have tried the same thing on the Future Warrior if they were female (who presumably punished him for it) or in the case of males and Namekians they became aware of his tricks from Elder Kai himself as he is not shy about admitting to his lechery to non-females (as he admitted it to Goku, Gohan, Shin, and Kibito Kai). He also admits he doesn't agree with the development of Future Bulma's time machine, but does not dwell on it as it is already a part of established history. He dislikes being call old by Chronoa who is only a millennium younger than him (as Shinjin have long life spans) and is disappointed that Chronoa's appearance has not changed in 75 million years since he last saw her, though this is due to the fact he was looking forward to her having matured into a more attractive womanly figure as he apparently finds her childlike appearance unappealing to his tastes (he even notes she is "small" but it is unclear if he is referring to her height or her other "measurements" such as bust size). However as he is not attracted to her childlike appearance, Chronoa apparently doesn't have to deal with his lecherous advances (though this may be due to the fact that she encourages female Time Patrollers to physically attack him if he crosses the line thus she too would likely defend herself if he tried anything). Though he and Chronoa are shown to be able to work together, Elder and Chronoa are prone to arguing at times.
He also retains his negative opinion about the usage of the Dragon Balls as he complains when Chronoa summons Shenron to wish up a feast to celebrate the defeat of Mira and the return of Tokitoki's Egg and only backs down when Beerus reminds him that it is a festive occasion (presumably not wanting to upset the God of Destruction by complaining further). He also states his disapproval of the use of the Namekian Dragon Balls during the Battle on Planet Namek despite knowing full well is an established part of history. Though he works as the administrator of the Time Patroller Academy and oversees the training off new recruits at Chronoa's request, he is shown to lack knowledge or only knows certain portions of historical events he was not present for such as the Battle on Planet Namek and Androids conflict, as he is more familiar with the Majin Buu conflict and Frieza's revenge. For example, he was unaware of Ginyu's Body Change technique and assumed that the Large Spirit Bomb would defeat Frieza on Namek though this may be due to him being more familiar with the stronger Super Spirit Bomb which destroyed Kid Buu. He also showed confusion about why it was bad that Imperfect Cell had absorbed by Androids together forcing Xeno Trunks to explain that it was Cell's fights with Vegeta and Future Trunks that lead him to come up with the Cell Games, which may not occur due to him obtaining his Perfect form much earlier. However he is quick to point out his own role in unlocking Gohan's potential during the battle with Super Buu (which causes Chronoa to note he can't resist boosting when it comes to his own actions) and warns Xeno Trunks he shouldn't not to underestimate the revived Frieza and explains that Frieza is a prodigy who never trained a day in his life until this point and that it will take more than a swing of a sword to defeat him this time. Elder Kai is also shown to forget details of events where he was present such forgetting the written test from the Tournament of Destroyers, which Chronoa admonishes him for and attributes to his old age.
In the Warrior of Hope Saga, even though Zamasu was just a Supreme Kai apprentice he doesn't feel comfortable asking the two Future Warriors to handle what he calls the god's mistakes (as it was his follow Supreme Kai Gowasu who made Zamasu his attendant and failed to see the growing darkness in him) but notes they are all they've got and implores them to stop the two Zamasu on the behalf of the Supreme Kai. He is also shown to be knowledgeable about Time Rings though he believes they only cause trouble presumably due to seeing them in the same way he views the Dragon Balls as they violate the natural order. Additionally he notes to his dismay that they must deal with the use of Future Trunks' time machine which he is aware has a design flaw that creates alternate timelines (an flaw which Chronoa taught Trunks: Xeno how to fix which resulted the development of the sanctioned Time Machines used by the Time Patrol) though Chronoa points out that its use is considered a part of the original flow of history thus must protect it when Goku Black destroys it and kills Future Trunks in the altered timeline of Age 796, thus Elder Kai accepts it use presumably because he sees Black and Future Zamasu's abuse of the Time Rings to be a greater threat. He is also shown to find the Zero Mortals Plan abhorrent and refers to it as a crazy idea that young Shinjin these days like Zamasu just run with. However he believes that he might be able to sit the two Zamasu straight, even boldly planning to go to Age 796 with the two Future Warriors so he can sit the two rogue Shinjin down and give them an earful of a lecture as to a Supreme Kai's role.
However Chronoa points out it probably won't work (knowing Present Gowasu attempted dissuade his rogue apprentice but failed) and even if it did it would effectively alter the very history they were trying to correct, causing him to reluctantly back down. He recognized the massive rip in the fabric of timespace created by Goku Black was a Rift in Time and that it was the result of Black using his Time Ring in conjunction with that "weird scythe" of his. Elder Kai also noted creating holes in spacetime like that is extremely reckless which was later proven true as it ultimately lead to Grotesque Zamasu's defeat in an ironic twist. He also noted while Time Rings usually bring noting but trouble whatever the timeline (indicating their is a history of them being misused in other timelines), the rift Black created brought good power that was desperately needed and agreed with Chronoa's suggestion that everyone helped Future Trunks because they sensed his strong desire to protect the integrity of the future.
Elder Kai was also horrified and furious when Goku carelessly dropped Zeno's Button, which only intensified when Goku decided to forget about it at Vegeta's suggestion. Additionally despite his plan to talk down Zamasu, he was terrified when he thought Grotesque Zamasu was coming to the Time Nest and panicked when Infinite Zamasu appeared in the Time Vault (though this was understandable given that he knew only Zeno's power could stop Infinite Zamasu). Chronoa did however get him to admit he though they only had to defeat Grotesque Zamasu in order to correct history after she told him about the retrieval of Zeno's Button by the Toki Toki City Hero and return to Goku.
BackgroundIn the past, Old Kai visited Zeno three times. One day, an Old Witch snuck up on the Former Supreme Kai while he was reading a comic book and took one of the Potara Earrings that he was wearing, leaving the Supreme Kai with a horrified expression as he knows about the abilities of the Potara Earrings. She put the earring on her ear which caused the two to fuse. This caused him to become an old wrinkly being with a personality befitting of the new form, as well as new magical powers. Once every 1,000 years, the Supreme Kais and the Gods of Destruction go to each other's realms and hold a coordination meeting. During one of these meetings, held roughly 75 Million Before Age, they got into an argument over some trifling thing and a certain short-tempered Beerus sealed Old Kai away inside the Z Sword as it would not have been proper for him to destroy the Sacred World of the Kai itself. According to Old Kai, the person who sealed him inside the sword was very powerful but not as powerful and bad as Majin Buu.
Dragon Ball Z
Majin Buu Saga
Shin and Kibito were looking for warriors they believed would be strong enough to defeat Majin Buu. They eventually ended up with Gohan and had him remove the Z-Sword from its stone encasement. Goku eventually showed up, and started to help Gohan train. To test the blade, Shin generated a cube of the strongest metal in the universe, Katchin, and gave it to Goku to throw. When Gohan hit the metal, the Z Sword broke in half, releasing Old Kai. After Old Kai expressed disappointment in Shin and Kibito for not breaking the sword's seal yet Gohan, a mortal, was able to break it, Goku tried to test Old Kai's power level by throwing a basic Ki Blast at him, with little enough power to deflect, and it instead knocked Old Kai down, resulting in Old Kai scolding Goku, although he then elaborated that what made him threatening was not his raw strength, but rather his smarts, or more specifically, drawing people's latent abilities out.
Old Kai told them that he could bring out Gohan's latent abilities by doing an "essential ritual". After waiting for well over an entire day, Old Kai had finally unleashed Gohan's hidden potential. After Gohan lost to Super Buu, Old Kai revealed the method of Potara Fusion to Goku and gave him the Potara Earrings to fuse with Gohan, (though Goku would end up fusing with Vegeta, creating Vegito).
He then gives up his life to Goku so he can return to Earth to fuse with Gohan and defeat Buu. When they decided to use the Namekian Dragon Balls to restore Earth and revive everyone, Old Kai refused to use them, as he claims that they would disrupt the balance of nature. However, he went along with it when Goku reminded him of his deal regarding his groping/gaining nude pictures of a human woman, with Goku inadvertently admitting in front of Vegeta that the woman in question was Bulma. When Super Buu reverted to Kid Buu, Old Kai went to Namek with Dende and Kibito Kai, where he and the others used the Namekian Dragon Balls to help Goku and Vegeta defeat Kid Buu. Old Kai was brought back to life by the wish made to Porunga to revive everyone who died after the 25th World Martial Arts Tournament, and so his halo disappeared after the wish was made.
Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
Main article: Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! Two years after Buu's defeat, Old Kai, along with Kibito Kai, is on Earth at Mr. Satan's banquet at his newly made hotel in celebration of defeating Buu. The celebration is interrupted by a brother duo, Abo and Cado, whom are after Vegeta's brother Tarble. The brothers are challenged by Goten and Trunks but they fail in defeating them. The brothers, merged as Aka, unleash a technique that destroyed the hotel. Aka is then defeated by Goku with a Kamehameha. After this encounter, they continue their feast.
Dragon Ball Super
God of Destruction Beerus Saga
Main article: God of Destruction Beerus Saga
Sometime after Kid Buu's death, Old Kai and Kibito Kai notice a planet's disappeared and wonder what's to come of the universe. While the two were having tea, Old Kai senses that another planet has disappeared and tells Kibito Kai that the God of Destruction Beerus has been awoken and that the universe is in serious trouble.
The following day, he along with Kibito Kai watch the titanic battle that goes on between the newly Super Saiyan God Goku and Beerus. As their battle picks up the two begin exchanging blows that create shock waves. Old Kai explains to Kibito Kai that these shock waves are like a tidal wave after an earthquake and gradually get stronger the further out that they travel. He estimates that as many as three of these shock waves would cause all the planets, stars, realms and even Goku and Beerus would be enough to wipe everything out. Later when faced with imminent death, Old Kai offers Kibito Kai a Dirty magazine as a farewell gift though he throws it away disgusted.
Golden Frieza Saga
Main article: Golden Frieza Saga After the fight with Goku and Beerus, Old Kai and Kibito Kai are wondering about the recent mysterious disappearance of some planets, as if they disappeared by magic. When Old Kai suddenly gets distracted, Kibito Kai assumes he is using his divine sight to peep on women or something equally perverted, but he turns out to instead be watching two horned beetles wrestle.
Universe 6 Saga
Main article: Universe 6 Saga
Old Kai attends the tournament on the Nameless Planet with Shin and Kibito to spectate the battles between the members of Beerus' and Champa's teams. When Fuwa wonders if Old Kai knows Goku, Old Kai says it's a long story. Old Kai is a bystander and so he sits with the other gods. The first match is between Goku and Universe 6's fighter Botamo. While Goku is fighting Botamo, the Universe 6 Supreme Kai thinks that Botamo has the advantage over Goku but Old Kai doesn't think so.
"Future" Trunks Saga
Main article: "Future" Trunks Saga
Universe Survival Saga
Main article: Universe Survival Saga Old Kai, alongside Shin, Kibito, Beerus and Whis attends the Zen Exhibition Match. During the 40 hour preparation for the Tournament of Power, Old Kai is eating alongside Beerus and Whis. During the Tournament of Power, he is happy when Universe 7's fighters eliminate opponents. He doesn't seem bothered by the fact that Krillin was knocked because he let his guard down, probably since he thinks that Krillin's elimination isn't that big of a loss for Team Universe 7.
Dragon Ball GT
Main article: Baby Saga
Old Kai helps Goku's tail grow back to help him fight Baby, which later allows Goku to ascend and transform into Super Saiyan 4. For some reason, he knew about the Super Saiyan 4 form, indicating that there were Super Saiyan 4s before Goku's time.
Shadow Dragon Saga
Main article: Shadow Dragon Saga
Before the Shadow Dragons are born, Old Kai gives an ultimatum to Goku that the Dragon Balls they are using are very dangerous and have the potential to destroy the whole universe. Since he does not provide an explanation, Goku and others assume that he is simply being prudish, and proceed to use the balls without heeding his warning. Later, with the birth of the Shadow Dragons, especially Syn Shenron, the Z Warriors are able to understand what Old Kai had feared. Additionally, when he reminded Bulma that she was equally responsible for the crisis by having invented the dragon radar as a means of locating the Dragon Balls for her own selfish interests, Old Kai admitted disgust at how he had allowed the fate of the universe to rest on a kiss from her.
Battle of Gods
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Four years after the battle with Majin Buu, Old Kai is with Kibito Kai when they and King Kai are telepathically discussing the awakening of the God of Destruction Beerus. They appear again after Goku's battle against Beerus and comment on Goku befriending the God of Destruction.
Other Dragon Ball stories
Main article: Dragon Ball Xenoverse As part of the Resurrection ‘F’ Pack DLC, Elder Kai decides to visit the Time Nest in Age 850 and is surprised to find the thriving metropolis of Toki Toki City near by as it did not exist during his previous visits to the Time Nest. He offers to take the Future Warrior as a student allowing the Warrior to take on Elder Kai as a master. Unlike other masters, Elder Kai will not train the Warrior directly.
During the Warrior's second training mission "Defeat Yourself!", Elder Kai will create a doppelganger of the Future Warrior's Ego which the Warrior will face in battle. After defeating their Ego once, it will revive in Villainous Mode, forcing the Warrior to defeat it once again. After their Ego is defeated, Elder Kai will reveal that the Warrior had just defeated their own dark ambitious ego that was hidden deep within themselves, thus helps the Warrior cleanse theirselves of their growing dark inner ambitions.
He will also use his Old Kai's Unlock Ability ritual to unlock the Warrior's potential allow the Warrior to use the Unlock Potential transformation Ultimate Skill which is accessible to all races. In addition to the Unlock Potential skill, completing Elder Kai's training will unlock the Emote Elder Kai's dance, based upon the dance he used at the beginning of the ritual.
Main article: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 Elder Kai runs the Patroller Academy at Orange Star High School in Conton City. Some point in between Age 850 and Age 852, Chronoa asked for Elder Kai's assistance in handling some of the Time Patrol's administrative duties such as training new Time Patrollers. As a result of Demigra's Attack on the Time Nest in Age 850, Chronoa and Elder Kai combined their powers to construct a powerful invisible barrier around the Time Nest and Conton City to prevent further incursions.
During his time at the Academy, Elder Kai sees promise in one of the new Time Patrol recruits, to the point he suggests that Chronoa assign them for a critical mission. This recruit is the game's main protagonist, the Future Warrior.
"You're late! Where've you been wandering about all this time?! Hm? You're saying it was my fault? Stop blaming your failings on others, you young punk! Ahem! Now listen up! You've been chosen for a very special mission! This is a great honor! You'll be only the second elite member to ever do this! Your job is to travel to eras where changes in history have been made, and fix any errors that may have occurred. However! You still have much to learn! First, you should learn from the wisdom of those that have gone before you! Once a change has been made to history, it becomes easier for subsequent changes to be made to it as well. So head out to those eras where changes in history have been made and do what you can to right the wrongs that have been done! Okay, off you go..."
— Old Kai upon meeting the Future Warrior in Conton City in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
After Chronoa selects them, Elder Kai contacts them via the Time Patrol's Scouter communications, just as they are about to receive an assessment of the situation in a time rift they are currently investigating. After arriving in Conton City and being greeted by Chronoa, the Future Warrior is forced to search for Elder Kai. While on his way to the entrance to the Time Nest, Elder Kai ogles some of the female Time Patrols, even pretending to fall down to peek up female Time Patroller Chicori's skirt, which the Future Warrior will point out to the her when they talk to her, causing Chicori to tell them where Elder Kai went so they can punch him for her. Eventually the Warrior meets Elder Kai in front of the entrance to the Time Nest, who admonishes them for being late, despite it being his fault and criticizes them for blaming him claiming that their just trying to blame their own faults on others and even calls them a little punk. He then takes the time to explain the nature of their mission. Before he can sent them on their way, Chronoa appears and offers to instruct the Future Warrior in the basics of battle before they start their mission. Elder Kai is at first hostile towards her interruption until she explains her reason for doing so, and welcomes her to do so, seeing it as perfect timing for the Future Warrior to learn what they can from her and tells them to come pay him a visit once they've learned all there is to know about being a Time Patroller from Chronoa, as he'll have their first mission waiting for them.
- Raditz's Attack Saga
"I-Is this what you want? Hey! Can you even hear us? Your entrance was really darn lousy by the way, but I suppose we can talk about that later. Here Goku and Piccolo were supposed to work together to defeat that nasty turd, Raditz. You have to go and defeat Raditz so that Goku can finish him off!"
— Old Kai communicating from the Time Nest in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Afterwards Elder Kai has the Warrior travel to Age 761 to assist Goku and Piccolo against Dark Raditz. Elder Kai contacts them from the Time Nest to provide instructions though wonders if they can even hear him before Chronoa reveals the Time Nest's communications are working properly. First, he criticizes the Warrior's poor entrance after when the forget to use flight after being transported into the air, causing them to fall to the ground, though he decides that they can talk about that later as they have more urgent business. Old Kai reveals his distaste for Raditz's evil personality calling him a nasty turd and tells the Future Warrior their mission is to help Goku defeat his brother.
"That was some handy work. Those moves weren't half bad. ...Except for your entrance. Goku and Piccolo would surely have been defeated if you hadn't stepped in and saved them. Your job is helping to correct any inconsistencies like this that crop up in the timeline. This time it went smoothly, but battles later on in history get intense. So, continue with your training, because only the strong can correct history! But since you're training under the greatest kai in the universe, there shouldn't be much to worry about. Hehehe... As long as you listen to my advice, you'll come into your own eventually, and--"
— Old Kai speaking to the Warrior after their first mission before being interrupted by Chronoa in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Back at the Time Nest, Elder Kai congratulates them on their success and says they did well, except for their entrance. He goes on to tell them battles will get more intense so they must continue training, though can't resist praising himself as their teacher and to listen to his advice, before Chronoa appears and tells Elder Kai to stop rambling on. Elder Kai takes offense to Chronoa calling him Old Man and states he is only about a millennium older than her, which hardly makes him an old man which leads to a brief argument between the two Supreme Kais, with Elder Kai retorting how she can wear a hat with a head that big when she smugly tells him not to even try to compare himself to an adorable girl like her, before ending the argument. Chronoa says they have to bored half to death after hearing one of his speeches, before kindly offering to walk them out of the Time Nest back to Conton City causing Elder Kai to yell at Chronoa for jumping ahead as he just told the Warrior that they'd tell them more about the world later on before giving up so he can follow after them not wanting to be left behind.
In Conton City, Chronoa and Elder Kai tells the Future Warrior about their predecessor the Toki Toki City Hero who once saved Toki Toki City and the universe from the Demon God Demigra during the Demigra Incident in Age 850. Elder Kai states that the history they mended was once saved by the hero who corrected a previous history change in Age 761 as their first mission. Chronoa shows then them the holographic statue of the Toki Toki City Hero in the middle of the Recreation Plaza's Shop Area. Elder Kai acts as the Warrior's mission controller, providing them with information and advice alongside Chronoa as Trunks: Xeno and his partner the Toki Toki City Hero are busy with tracking down the Time Breakers.
- Parallel Quest 01 - Being a Time Patroller
Elder Kai accompanies the Future Warrior to a naturally occurring Time Fragment timeline which are created as a side effect of Time Scroll based history correction, which while not normally dangerous as they are not recorded in the scrolls they can still attract villains who may use them to cause trouble. Since they are not recorded in the scrolls Elder Kai and the Future Warrior use one of the Time Patrol's sanctioned Time Machines which lack the design flaw of Future Bulma's Time Machine that produces time distortions that create alternate timelines, thus are temporally safe to use. They arrive in Natade Village Glacier area where Elder Kai instructs them how to utilize their Scouter to teach them how to find hidden items in the environment. After the warrior finds two hidden items, Elder Kai decides they will head over to the next area and activates a gate to the next area. He uses the opportunity to teach them how to use gates to travel to other areas. In the Archipelago area, Elder Kai is happy that they made it there in one piece before teaching them how to use their Scouter to locate allies. The Scouter detects a defeated Krillin lying nearby, though Elder Kai says that its okay and that they can help revive him as well as explaining how they can assist allies if they are KO'd. Krillin thanks them for helping him before he senses something bad headed their way. Saibamen appear and attack Krillin and the Future Warrior while Elder Kai watches from a safe distance. After they defeat the Saibamen, Krillin notes he senses one remaining nearby so Elder Kai teaches the Future Warrior how to use the Scouter/Search View to search for hidden enemies. They find a Kaiwareman hiding on one of the ideas which they defeat, causing a group of three Time Patrollers in training to appear which Elder Kai tasks them with defeating which finishes the mission.
Elder Kai notes they really cleaned house while Krillin senses ki signatures he recognizes. Yamcha and Tien fly in with Yamcha noting Krillin is looking out of shape and Krillin asks if that is a challenge. Tien notes its been awhile since they spared but he won't hold back. Noting the good timing, Elder Kai suggests they jump in and join the impromptu sparring session fighting against Tien and Yamcha alongside Krillin. If they defeat Tien and Yamcha, Elder Kai says their not to shabby and asks them to mosey on back his way so he and the Future Warrior can return to Conton City.
- Patroller Academy Administrator
"Welcome to the Patroller Academy! Impressed? I put everything I have into making it for you Time Patrollers. Learn well from and appreciate your instructors, for they have much wisdom to pass on to you! You must become stronger and stronger! Use the academy well and build up your skills!"
— Elder Kai welcoming the Future Warrior to the Patroller Academy in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Chronoa also reminds the Future Warrior about the Patroller Academy, the school created to help develop young Time Patrollers. She says that the Old Man is on his way there and that they can learn a lot from him. She directs them to the big school building on the other side of town. They find the Patroller Academy located in a replica of Orange Star High School where Elder Kai welcomes them outside. He tells them he put everything he has into making it for the Time Patrol. He tells them to learn well and appreciate their instructors as they have much wisdom to pass on, as they must become stronger and stronger to defend history by using the academy well to build their skills. At first he says they are not skilled enough to be worried about which instructor to train under and might as well get taught by every instructor. They can learn the basics of battle through Elder Kai's Challenge Quests and Advancement Tests to raise their class. Furthermore, various historical fighters will act as instructors, teaching the warrior various skills. These teaches include heroes like the Dragon Team, members of the Saiyan Army, villainous members of the Frieza Force, the Red Ribbon Androids, and even powerful deities, as well as many others which can be found in Conton City. The Warrior can increase their training level by clearing quests and undergoing training. Once they progress far enough Advancement Test Quests will become available, which if cleared will all them to graduate to the next class giving them access to new lessons from their teaches. They can take these tests by speaking to the Advancement Test Desk Robot, Tester who will allow them to take any available tests or retake old ones provided they have been completed and no new tests are currently available. Elder Kai oversees these tests in which the warrior must defeat several Instructors that represent that represent their current class. Achieving a "Z" Rank on the first five Advancement Tests will unlock the sixth and final Advancement Test which if completed grants them with the Potential Unleashed Awoken Skill and a random piece of the Time Patroller Suit. Interestingly, Elder Kai does not perform his ritual to unlock their potential though it either occurs off screen or Elder Kai developed the tests specifically for the Time Patrol as a potentially quicker (as it depends of the skill and power of the one taking the tests) and less boring method (as it involves fighting instead of sitting around) of unlocking a person's potential. The Future Warrior if free to train at their leisure though Elder Kai will be pleased if they train diligently as he puts a lot of work into ensuring that the Patroller Academy meets the training needs of the Time Patrol. The Future Warrior can speak to him to take on Challenge Quests and if they have not selected a current Instructor, he will call one over for them. Once they have selected an Instructor to train under Elder Kai will have that Instructor instruct them during the Challenge Quest provided it in not Art of Battle (which is the tutorial given by Chronoa) or the Dual Ultimate Attack Tutorial (part of the 1.09.00 Update) as these are special tutorials. More Instructors will appear in Conton City as they progress through the story.
"Blast! There does not seem to be any end to these changes to history... Oh, hello there. You couldn't have come at a better time. Alterations in history have been made across multiple different eras. We could really use your help out there. Don't let us down! So, there is a moment in history when the Saiyans attacked the Earth, or the time when the Earthlings set out for Planet Namek..."
— Elder Kai giving the warrior a choice as to their next mission in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
After checking out what the Academy has to offer, the warrior speaks to Chronoa who asks them how both the Academy and Parallel Quests were. She tells them they can use both to help them grow stronger and that she is looking to see them grow into a mighty warrior. After speaking with her the Warrior goes to the Time Nest. They find Elder Kai complaining to himself that there seems to be no end to these history changes, before he notices them and greets them, saying they're timing couldn't be better. He tells them alterations have been made in two eras: one when the Saiyans attacked the Earth and the other when the Earthlings went to Planet Namek. He gives the warrior a choice which change to deal with first. Earth's History leads to The Saiyan Threat Saga while Planet Namek's History leads to the Ruckus on Planet Namek Saga. They can be completed in either order though the story sequences will be effected slightly.
- The Saiyan Threat Saga
Elder Kai hands the Future Warrior a scroll that shows another history change. Chronoa notes it is when the two Saiyans Nappa and Vegeta attacked Earth. Elder Kai notes it won't be easy with two Saiyans this time. He also notes that these changes have been picking up in frequency as of late. Elder Kai notes Vegeta has an evil looking face, apparently disgusted with how evil Vegeta used to be as he is more familiar with Vegeta after he reformed. The Future Warrior races off to where Goku is and finds him fighting another Saiyan, whom Elder Kai notes shouldn't be in this time period only Nappa and Vegeta invaded Earth in Age 762. Elder Kai doesn't recognize him before noting he appears to be a Saiyan and he looks just like Goku.Elder Kai tells them not to listen to Turles noting that his heart is a ball of pure evil. Trunks: Xeno contacts Elder Kai and the Future Warrior to tell them that his partner is en route to their location. He notes that Turles is a dangerous opponent and they will need to use team work to take him down. Working together with Goku the Future Warrior manages to hold off Turles long enough for the legendary Toki Toki City Hero to arrive. When Turles decides to flee, Trunks: Xeno leaves the rest up to Elder Kai and the Future Warrior as he and his partner work to track down Turles to prevent him from causing any further changes. Elder Kai notes the potential hidden in Saiyans is scary, while Chronoa notes that slowing Goku down has caused a of problems such as Nappa's survival and transformation. Elder Kai concludes that they'll have to take down the Great Apes one at a time as they are two strong together. He tells the Future Warrior to take out Great Ape Nappa first as he is weaker than Great Ape Vegeta and defeating him will allow the Future Warrior and Goku to focus on the stronger Great Ape Vegeta who will need teamwork to take down as Goku's body is suffering from the negative effects of using the 4x Kaioken. Elder Kai tells the Future Warrior to leave cutting the tail off to the others as they should focus on attracting the Great Ape's attention.
- Interlude 01 - Greetings! Trunks, History's Hero
Chronoa welcomes the Warrior back while Elder Kai says their work was nicely done. They then hear the voice of Trunks: Xeno states its good to have them back and see him standing at the top of the stairs with his partner the legendary Toki Toki City Hero. Chronoa says welcome back to them as well and Trunks: Xeno says it was rough out there and apologizes for failing in his mission. Chronoa however tells him not to worry about as if they were that easy to catch the Time Patrol would have gotten them already. Elder Kai interjects stating a proper introduction is in order reminding Trunks: Xeno of his manners. Trunks: Xeno introduces himself and his partner. He then explains that he and his partner have been using the scrolls to perform special missions but there have been so many changes lately that they are a bit shorthanded, which is why he's had to ask for help from them and Elder Kai.
Trunks: Xeno states that Chronoa and Elder Kai have told him they are quite capable and a cut above the rest. He goes on to reveal that Elder Kai admires their persistence and the way they keep finishing mission after mission. However Elder Kai interrupts and tells him that is enough and not to spoil their new agent, before turning to the Future Warrior and claiming that he never said anything like that before saying they've got a long way to go for a recruit. However Chronoa tells them not to listen to Elder Kai and that it is not true at all as they have been doing excellent work, causing Elder Kai to furiously tell Chronoa to stop praising them before tiring himself out by all the excitement then give up. Changing the subject, Elder Kai notes that history was somehow restored, but there are far too many anomalies and why people are suddenly appearing out of their proper places and times. Trunks: Xeno notes they got away this time but they've dealt with these pair of time criminals before and notes they enlist villains from different timelines and sow chaos. Elder Kai asks who he is speaking of and Chronoa reveals they are denizens of the Demon Realm who came from far in the future to steal energy from the past. The demonic scientist Towa and her abominable Android creation, Mira the current King of Demon Realm.
Unbeknownst to the Time Patrol, Towa, Mira, and the villains they have recruited are busy plotting their next move.
Back in Conton City, Chronoa notes the Warrior seems to be getting the hang of the Time Patrol and that she never doubted them for a second. She decides to explain to them about the large Rift in Time that they had been in the middle of investigating before they were called off by Elder Kai. She explains they what they call strange areas where changes in history have led to fissures in in the very fabric of time itself. Due to the massive size and sheer scale of these rifts they are not as easy to deal with these require more investigation to determine the cause. She states that clearing up these rifts is one of the most important duties of the Time Patrol. Since it is hard to explain, she suggests they check out each of the five large rifts contained in the five Time Miniatures that float in the sky in Conton City. Once they have spoken to one of the five Murasaki Brothers (who work as Time Patrollers) assigned by the Time Patrol to each rift they must return to Chronoa who will ask them to help investigate them when they have the time, before letting them return to Elder Kai to receive their next mission (either Namek's History or Earth's History depending on their previous choice).
- Ruckus on Planet Namek Saga
Elder Kai exams the scroll for Age 762 during the Battle on Planet Namek. He witnesses Krillin and Gohan's first encounter with the Frieza Force in Moori's village. However Frieza comes under the effects of Villainous Mode's first stage and Dark Frieza orders Zarbon and Dodoria to chase after Krillin, Gohan, and Dende altering history. Elder Kai recognizes the change and notes Krillin and Gohan will have a hard time getting away with both Zarbon and Dodoria after them. He says they will just have to help them out and orders them to do what they have to in order to ensure Gohan and Krillin escape successfully.
In Age 762, Krillin tries to blind their pursuers with a Solar Flare, which manages to blind Dodoria, but unfortunately Zarbon wasn't and prevents Krillin's escape long enough for Dodoria to recover. Just as it seems Zarbon and Dodoria have Krillin cornered, the Future Warrior arrives and teams up with him to confront Frieza's aides. Krillin tells Gohan to stay back, before ordering him to take Dende and get away, while he and their mysterious ally hold off Zarbon and Dodoria. As a result, Zarbon tells Dodoria to go after the "runts" (Gohan and Dende) while he deals with the other two. Elder Kai contacts them and says their job is not to take Zarbon down, as it is helping Krillin and Gohan to escape. He says if they do enough damage, Krillin should see his opening and run. However he admits he is more worried about Gohan and tells them to watch carefully and time their escape with Krillin's so they can go check on Gohan to ensure he and Dende escape Dodoria. Sure enough after inflicting enough damage, Krillin sees his chance and flees causing Elder Kai to give the warrior the signal to flee as well allowing them to escape before Zarbon recovers.
They find Dodoria has been attacked by Vegeta and Elder Kai notes that it looks like Gohan managed to get away with Dende, thus history will continue as normal before rhetorically asking if they should be coming back. However before they can respond, they are suddenly attacked by a sinister looking Namekian who oddly enough knows they are a Time Patroller and says they will die for meddling in his affairs. Elder Kai has no idea who this strange Namekian is, though fortunately Chronoa does and informs them he is the wicked Namekian Lord Slug. Elder Kai notes that the Namekians are supposed to be their allies in this era yet wonders why he senses such evil coming from Slug. Chronoa states he is no ordinary Namekian, Slug is a Super Namek born with a heart full of malice. Eventually they are contacted by Trunks: Xeno who notes he is headed to their location and to hang in their a little longer. Chronoa tells him to hurry as this whole scenario feels wrong somehow. Eventually Trunks: Xeno arrives causing Slug to flee with Trunks: Xeno in hot pursuit leaving the Future Warrior and Elder Kai to deal with any further changes.
Elder Kai notes Dark Dodoria's power level is rising and history will be altered if they don't act, before stating this is we're Vegeta joins in as an unlikely ally as his actions in opposing the Frieza Force during this period allowed Gohan, Krillin, Bulma, and Dende to survive as he drew Frieza's focus towards his open rebellion and away from the Earthlings albeit unintentionally.
In terms of power, the Old Kai is much weaker than the other Supreme Kais, as when Goku wanted to test the Old Kai to see if he was powerful, he fired an uncharged ki blast at him while only in his base form (with Gohan also claiming shortly afterward that the blast was weak enough that even his younger brother Goten could deflect it), with even this weak attack managing to injure the merged Shinjin and knock him down. However, it should be noted that Old Kai's weakness may be due to a combination of his age and the fact that he had been sealed within the Z Sword for 75 Million years.
While Old Kai may lack physical power, he possesses vast wisdom and powerful magical abilities thanks to his fusion with the Old Witch which allow him to unlock the potential of others, both of which proved invaluable during the Majin Buu conflict and Dragon Ball GT. He also implies that this wisdom and powerful magical abilities was what got him sealed up in the first place.
- Video Games
In Xenoverse 2, by working in conjunction with a fellow Supreme Kai like Chronoa, Elder Kai can erect an self-sustaining invisible barrier large and powerful enough to protect both Conton City and the Time Nest from direct attack by even beings as powerful as Towa and Mira (as the Time Breakers never tried to attack the city or Time Nest directly), forcing Towa to find a more subtle way to bypass it. However it required both Elder Kai and Chronoa combined to create it and is the result of their divine powers combined.
Surprisingly in the opening Time Patrol recruitment video, Elder Kai is shown with Tokitoki perched on his shoulder yet is able to bare the bird's weight and walk with no difficulty, despite Chronoa's assertion that the divine bird is heavy when he perched on her head in Xenoverse. This indicates that while he is physically frail he has enough upper body strength to bare Tokitoki's weight.
Additionally Elder Kai uses his wisdom and experience to train new Time Patrollers at the Time Patroller Academy. One of these students would go on to become the 2nd Future Warrior who saved the Universe by killing Final Form Mira after he had absorbed Towa in Age ???.
Though he is out of touch with some of the latest fades such as Figures, he is knowledgeable about subjects relating to the Time Patrol such as how to utilize Scouters to locate hidden items, allies, and enemies which he teaches to the Future Warrior in their first Parallel Quest which acts as a tutorial overseen by Elder Kai. He also aids Chronoa in doing historical research such reading up on the villains Turles and Slug whom Elder Kai himself was originally unfamiliar with. However he tends to not be as well informed about history as Chronoa is as she has spent millennia observing history from the Time Nest though he is more familiar with eras he was present such as the Majin Buu conflict thus is more of an expert when it comes to these time periods though he tends to forget certain things which Chronoa attributes to age. However he assists the Future Warrior by providing them with information and instruct them how to go about their mission though some times Chronoa will step in when she feels something is off or Elder Kai himself is at a loss for what to do.
During the Warrior of Hope Saga, Elder Kai is shown to be knowledgeable about Time Rings and the danger they possess. Elder Kai himself is apparently against their use as he says nothing good every comes from their use in his opinion, indicating he believes that even Gods of Creation shouldn't be able to travel through time, recognizing that while they can't travel into the past normally, they can still be misused and wreak havoc as demonstrated by Goku Black and Future Zamasu. Additionally, his anger over their insane Zero Mortal Plan was enough for Elder Kai to be willing to join the Future Warriors in confronting the two incarnations if Zamasu as he planned to sit them down and give them an earful of a lecture on a Supreme Kai's role and duty in hopes of setting them straight, though Chronoa persuades him that it probably won't work and if it did he would be effectively altering history and essentially getting in the way of the two Future Warriors' mission to correct that point in history. However, he was terrified by Grotesque Zamasu's promise to deal with the Future Warrior's "masters" (Chronoa & Elder Kai himself) and panicked when Infinite Zamasu appeared inside the Time Vault, which Chronoa later criticized him for reminding him of his earlier boost though Elder Kai countered that he couldn't make Infinite Zamasu sit down as he was just a head. However, his fear was understandable as the Time Vault contains the universe's recorded history and any damage to it could lead to the destruction of the Universe.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Flight - The ability to levitate or fly with the use of ki. As a Supreme Kai, its only natural he possessed the ability at some point in his life. He demonstrated that he can still fly, even in his old age, when they arrived at the Tournament of Power arena, and he flew to the spectators' seats.
- Ki Sense - The ability to sense ki. As he is a Supreme Kai he can sense both normal ki and godly ki.
- Old Kai's Unlock Ability – Old Kai's most powerful technique. After a long and even bizarre ritual (whose length depend of how much power the person in question has to be unlocked), Old Kai is capable of bringing out the full potential of any person that he wants.
- Life Transfusion – Old Kai can exchange his life for the life of a dead person, bringing them back to life and killing Old Kai. Since he was already quite old (having just one last millennium of life, which is an extreme sign of aging considering that his kind can live well over 75 million years), Old Kai decided to sacrifice his life to revive Goku so that he could fuse with Gohan after Super Buu absorbed Gotenks and Piccolo. Old Kai collapsed for a moment, but since he was already in the Other World, he woke up again in a comical fashion and merely gained a halo.
- Magic Materialization – Old Kai conjured a Crystal Ball to see what was happening on Earth.
- Divination – Through his Crystal Ball, Old Kai is able to see whatever he wants across space and time. He used this ability to voice his wisdom and concern over the Z Fighters' fight against Super Buu and Kid Buu, though this ability was temporarily blocked when Buu literally goes inside of his head, much to Old Kai's chagrin. In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, it is shown that like Fortuneteller Baba, he is also capable of telling a person's fortune via this technique as well, as he will use it to tell the Future Warrior's fortune.
- Far-Seeing Arts – Technique which allows those who live in the godly realms to see everything that happens in the lower realms. He also claimed that he can use this ability to observe Earthly women playing volleyball on the beach (watching Earthly women strip naked in the manga) when refusing Goku's bribe of some of Master Roshi's girlie magazines, to Shin's disgust.
- Fission - Old Kai can separate a person from their ego or their "bad vibes" and personify them, allowing them to literally defeat their bad natures. Old Kai uses this technique in Dragon Ball Xenoverse to give the Future Warrior more power for their unlock potential ritual and to help the Future Warrior defeat the growing darkness hidden deep within themselves.
- Healing - As a Kai, Old Kai possessed the ability to rejuvenate anyone and restore them to full health instantly, even if they are on the brink of death. However in the manga he lost this ability upon reaching the rank of Supreme Kai.
- Barrier - After joining the Time Patrol as an instructor, Elder Kai and Chronoa decided to use their divine powers to erect a barrier around both Conton City and the Time Nest to protect them and prevent further incursions like what occurred during the Demigra Incident. This invisible barrier once erected was large and self-sustaining, allowing Chronoa and Elder Kai to focus on their duties, while the barrier protected both the city and Time Nest. However Towa figured out a method to bypass it by tricking Xeno Trunks and the 2nd Future Warrior to bring the Masked Future Warrior's mask back with them to the Time Nest, which eventually allowed Towa to infiltrate the Time Nest and steal Tokitoki's Egg. The barrier could also be bypassed by temporal anomalies like Wormholes which allowed Frieza's Spaceship to bypass the barrier during Frieza's Siege. Infinite Zamasu was able to bypass it when he tried to become one with creation and came to the Time Nest to punish Elder Kai and Chronoa for their interference though Chronoa took steps to ensure he would be erased by Future Zeno in Ade 796.
- Dirty magazine - As a notorious lecher, Elder Kai has a private collection of adult magazines which he often reads. As he has his own collection he refused Goku's attempts to bribe him with the offer of some of Master Roshi's dirty magazines. He is even seen reading one in the animated epilogue of Xenoverse 2 which ends up causing him to bump into Beerus as he was looking at it while walking around Conton City.
- Potara - As a Supreme Kai, Elder Kai wears a pair of Potara earrings of Supreme Kai rank. These earrings accidentally resulted in his fusion with the Old Witch when she stole one of his earrings. Elder Kai's knowledge of Potara fusion apparently came from this incident as he thought it was permanent in all cases and was unaware that it only lasts for one hour for any fusion not involving a Supreme Kai. He later gave his earrings to Goku which were used by Goku and Vegeta to create Vegito, though they were destroyed by Vegeta and a reluctant Goku after the hour was up. He is shown to have gotten a replacement pair later on.
- Time Scroll - While working alongside Chronoa, Elder Kai has access to the Time Nest and can use Time Scrolls to monitor the Future Warrior during missions and to locate history changes. However he is not as informed about their capabilities as Chronoa is as he was unaware that one could return to the Time Nest to use a scroll to travel back further in time to stop another history change as Chronoa had the Future Warrior do when Turles and Slug tries to steal the Namekian Dragon Balls while the Future Warrior was stalling Frieza with Nail. In the Warrior of Hope Saga, it is implied that Elder Kai can use Time Scrolls to travel through time as well, as he decides to accompany the two Future Warriors to Age 796, though he apparently requires Chronoa's approval to do so as she is quick to argue against his plan to lecture the two Zamasu into giving up their insane Zero Mortal Plan which she felt wouldn't work and noted that its success would effectively alter history getting in the way of the two Future Warriors' mission to restore the original history. Elder Kai is also shown to be aware of the dangers Time Ring users pose to one using a Time Scroll as the ring allows its wielder to follow a Time Scroll user anywhere through time unless they are prevented from immediately following the Time Scroll user as the path created by the scroll apparently disappears quickly.
- Time Machine - During Parallel Quest 01: "Being a Time Patroller", Elder Kai uses one of the Time Patrol's time distortion free Time Machines to travel to a Time Fragment timeline to teach the basics of Parallel Quests and being a Time Patroller. However he apparently uses one begrudgingly as he notes to Trunks: Xeno in the A Desperate Future Saga that he does not approve of his mother's creation of a machine that can fiddle around with history and during the Warrior of Hope Saga he notes to his dismay that they are dealing with a timeline that involves the use of Future Trunks' Time Machine, though Chronoa points out they must protect it as its use is a part of the official history and Elder Kai is aware that the Time Rings used by Black and Future Zamasu to alter history are the bigger threat, one which the god's themselves are inadvertently responsible for. It is implied that Elder Kai holds them in the same regard as Time Rings and Dragon Balls as they upset the natural order of the universe, though he begrudgingly understands that the Time Machines used by the Time Patrol have been specially designed with Chronoa's input to ensure that they are safe and do not create alternate timelines thus do not upset the natural balance of history and are actually meant to persevere it by dealing with time fragment timelines naturally created as a side effect of the Time Patrol's Time Scroll based history corrections (which are by their nature imperfect as they can only get them so close to the proper history as the Time Patrollers sent to fix them were not present in the original history).
- Japanese: Reizō Nomoto (DBZ), Tetsuya Iwanaga (young - DBZ), Isamu Tanonaka (Budokai 3), Ryōichi Tanaka (Ultimate Tenkaichi, Battle of Gods, DBS)
- Spanish Dub: Alberto Hidalgo
- Latin American dub: Enrique Mederos (†), Ernesto Lezama (Battle of Gods, Dragon Ball Super)
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Cassius Romero; Cézar Marchetti (young); Leonardo Camilo (GT, Battle of Gods)
- Portuguese Dub: António Semedo (†) (DBZ); Henrique Feist (Dragon Ball Super)
- Italian Dub: Maurizio Scattorin
- Hungarian Dub: György Vizy (DBZ); Endre Botár (GT)
- Catalan Dub: Joaquim Sota
- Hebrew Dub: Giora Kenneth
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legend
- Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury
- Dragon Ball GT: Transformation
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (full 3D model)
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse (Resurrection ‘F’ Pack DLC)
- Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
- Dragon Ball Fusions
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- Is implied that Old Kai is the eldest Supreme Kai still alive in all Dragon Ball franchise (as he claims to be 1000 years older than Chronoa) and one of the three Supreme Kais of Universe 7 known to have not been killed or absorbed by the original Majin Buu (due to it being sealed in Z Sword).
- Despite being dead, Old Kai was able to leave Other World and travel to the world of the living without the help of Fortuneteller Baba. It is possible that his prestigious position in the universe allowed certain privileges to make this possible, or it could be the witch he fused with having the same powers as Baba.
- There is a scene in the dub where the crystal ball malfunctions and Old Kai says "They don't make crystal balls like they used to." Kibito Kai says "But I made that one myself!" Old Kai was the one who made the crystal ball, not Kibito Kai/Shin.
- When powering up Gohan, Old Kai reads a manga. At times he is shown flipping the pages from right to left, implying the book is written in Japanese order like manga. However, at other times he is shown flipping the pages left to right. This could be explained by the comic having panels which hold his attention, giving him the desire to turn back to them occasionally.
- Old Kai's wisdom has assisted in the creation of three of the series' most powerful transformations: Ultimate Gohan, Vegito and Super Saiyan 4 Goku.
- Despite continuing to work alongside Shin as a Supreme Kai for Universe 7, Elder Kai apparently does not have an official status of it anymore. This was seen from Beerus' concern only for Shin as a life-link to him. Even more, in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Beerus was willing to kill Elder Kai, only stopped by Whis' timely distraction with food.
- However it should be noted that Xenoverse 2 takes place in Age 852, while Beerus comes from Age 779, so its possible that Beerus killing Elder Kai in Age 852 would not effect him (provided that the Elder Kai in Xenoverse 2 originates from Age 852) similar to how Zamasu's destruction in Dragon Ball Super did not effect his alternate counterpart Future Zamasu.
- Also considering Elder Kai's age and the history between them, Beerus may have elected to have his life linked to only Shin who is younger and would be easier for Beerus to get along with. Additionally Elder Kai had been sealed inside the Z Sword so Beerus likely choose to have his life linked with another Supreme Kai before he was linked to Shin.
- It should also be noted that Elder Kai died briefly during the Fusion Saga when he transferred his life to Goku. It should be noted that Elder Kai stopped Shin from doing the same which may have ironically saved Beerus' life (given their past history) as it is unknown if reviving a Supreme Kai linked with a God of Destruction will restore said God of Destruction back to life, like Namekian life links do (as when Kami came back after Piccolo was revived), thus its unknown if Shin's resurrection would have restored Beerus to life (as Elder Kai was later revived by Porunga).
- Before he merged with the witch, Old Kai looked nearly identical to Shin, except his skin and hair were violet rather than purple.
- Old Kai knew of the Golden Great Ape and Super Saiyan 4 transformations, and even called the latter by name after Goku transformed, yet he did not seem to know why Goku's power level did not increase at all before transforming. Also, in the Kid Buu Saga, he did not suggest the transformation as a means to beat Buu.
- One possibility it was unmentioned during the Buu Saga is due to the dangers posed by Golden Great Ape transformation (as Elder Kai may not have been aware that Vegeta could control himself in the form and would able to access the form easily as long as he had his tail) and the tail pulling technique he used to restore Goku's Saiyan tail, may only have worked on Goku in GT due to being in the body of a child at the time (as Saiyans tend to regrow their tails most often during childhood), thus Elder Kai may not have suggested it as he knew it would not work on adult Saiyans (Elder Kai also would not have known that Golden Great Ape transformation could be induced artificially using a Blutz Wave Generator as that was only theorized and discovered by Bulma after Goku became a Super Saiyan 4).
- In the English Dub of Dragon Ball Z episode 273, Old Kai says that he has trouble digesting Mexican foods, though like the countries mentioned in Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!, Mexico does not exist in the Dragon Ball version of Earth.
- He is the second Kai to experience death during the series, after King Kai (at least on-screen, because the other Supreme Kais were killed off by Buu long before).
- Old Kai and Master Roshi have very similar qualities; both are incredibly old (even for the Kaioshin's race), both are extremely perverted and both have great wisdom for their students. Goku even noted the similarity once when he made a deal with Old Kai to have him unlock his son's full potential.
- In Dragon Ball GT, during the Shadow Dragons Saga, in episode 61, Old Kai can be heard listening to the original FUNimation Dragon Ball GT opening theme song, and singing along. In other non-American versions, he listens to Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku.
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Elder Kai is shown to really like Kid Chi-Chi's Clothes (due to its skimpy bikini style armor) if a Female Future Warrior (as it can only be worn by females) talks to him while wearing it. Additionally, he often gives the Future Warrior pieces of that outfit as random gifts.
- In Xenoverse 2, Elder Kai does not uses his ritual to unlock the 2nd Future Warrior's potential. Instead they obtain the Potential Unleashed Awoken Skill by completing the final Advancement Test for Super Class at the Patroller Academy. However it should be noted that Elder Kai is in charge of the Academy and oversees the test itself, so it is possible that he developed the test as an alternate way to unlock the potential of his students at the Academy (as the ritual probably would take up too much of his and his students time making it unsuitable for both the Academy and the Time Patrol). However it is also possible that the ritual simply occurs off screen after the Warrior passes the test.
- Humorously, a female Majin Time Patroller named Eioh in Xenoverse 2 naïvely believes that if the universe gets into real trouble, Elder Kai will turn into a dashing warrior to protect history with his golden locks and bulging muscles and believes him being a grumpy geezer is just a ploy and he is only pretending to be unsociable. However Namekian Time Patroller Lione asks her if she is permanently stuck in a dream world for believing something so ludicrous, though he notes their are plenty of races that can transform their appearance.
- It is strongly implied that Elder Kai came to work under Chronoa mainly due to her taking advantage of his lechery knowing that he probably fantasized about how her appearance had changed in the 75 Million years since they last saw one another. Chronoa even went as far to tell Xeno: Trunks not to tell him anything about her if he asked and just to get him to the Time Nest. Her ploy worked as Elder Kai notes to the Future Warrior his displeasure to finding Chronoa had not matured or aged at all since he saw her last and notes she is much ruder as well. Elder Kai refers to as being small (it is unclear if he is referring to her height or "measurements") and apparently does not find her childlike appearance attractive as he apparently prefers voluptuous women. As a result, Elder Kai tends to bicker with Chronoa and lecture her especially about their age difference. However his lack of interest in her physically means Chronoa does not have to deal with any of his lecherous behavior herself (though she encourages female Time Patrollers to stand up for themselves if he crosses the line even applauding a female Time Patroller for hitting him after he groped her).
- However it is unknown if Elder Kai is aware of Chronoa's Tokinokitara Kaihou form which would likely be more to his liking given her appearing more womanly and has a voluptuous figure.
- Old Kai and Gowasu have several things in common: both are elderly, both are Supreme Kais (though Old Kai operates in a retired capacity) and both have died twice. More is explained below:
- Old Kai's first death was in the main timeline. He gave his life to Goku so that the Saiyan could return to Earth to help his son Gohan in the battle against Majin Buu.
- Future Old Kai's first death was in an alternate timeline. He was still trapped in the Z Sword when Future Dabura turned the weapon in Future Trunks' possession to stone. It then shattered and was destroyed by Future Dabura's ki blast.
- Gowasu's first death was in an alternate timeline. Zamasu killed him in order to assume the role of Supreme Kai and steal the Potara earrings and the Time Ring. However, this death was undone when Whis used his Temporal Do-Over to rewind time and thwarted Zamasu's attack.
- Gowasu's second death was in the main timeline. He and all of Universe 10 (with the exception of Cus) were erased from existence entirely by Zeno and Future Zeno after Team Universe 10 was eliminated from the Tournament of Power.
- As stated in both the anime and manga of Dragon Ball Super, the Potara Fusion lasts for all eternity only between official Supreme Kais, which causes doubt on why Old Kai is still a fused being due to the Old Witch not being an official Supreme Kai when the two fused. However it is likely only one of the fusee need to be an official Supreme Kai in order for the fusion to be permanent, which would explain why Old Kai remains fused despite the Old Witch not being a Supreme Kai.
- As Old Kai has remained fusion for several millenniums, this can be used as evidence that more or less confirms that only a single Supreme Kai is required for the Potara fusion to remain permanent. It should also be noted that Kibito is an Attendant Supreme Kai and not an official Supreme Kai (as he is only an assistant), yet Kibito Kai remained fused until it was undone by a wish to Porunga, further supporting the idea that only one fusee needs to be an official Supreme Kai for the resulting fusion to remain permanent (unless undo via a wish).
- While Old Kai is wise and knowledgeable of things even Shin is unaware of like Potara fusion and Super Saiyan 4, he is not as well informed about the mechanics of Potara fusion as he mistakenly believed that all Potara fusions where permanent, unaware that only Potara fusions involving an official Supreme Kai remain permanent (such as his own and Kibito Kai's) and was unaware that non-Supreme Kai based Potara fusions like Vegito only last an hour (as he attributed Vegito's de-fusion due to being inside of Super Buu, when in reality it was the result of a timeout). However it is likely that his knowledge of its mechanics is due to Old Kai himself being the result of Potara fusion, thus he just assumed that it was permanent in all cases.
- It is also implied that he was unaware that the Namekian Dragon Balls could be used to undo the fusion like Kibito Kai did. However given his strong opposition to using the Dragon Balls even in dire circumstances, it is possible he may have been aware of it, but did not do so out of principle, as he does not use the Namekian Dragon Balls to defuse even after Kibito Kai did.
- Elder Kai's opposition to the use of the Dragon Balls is because he sees their use as violating the natural order of the Universe and even notes the only reason the Namekians were allowed to make them was they were a peaceful people who only used them for themselves, which is why he was so upset about the existence of Dragon Balls on Earth (knowing the Earthlings and others would misuse them or at least try to which has been a problem throughout the series) and the fact that the Namekians allowed outsiders to use their Dragon Balls (he even notes his displease over the Namekian Dragon Balls being used in Age 762 despite knowing their use was an official part of history which Chronoa was quick to remind him of). His opposition is understandable as it is a Supreme Kai's duty is to foster the growth of life in the universe though the balance between creation and destruction can be easily upset by the Dragon Balls which can restore both planets, people, and even gods back to life as well as grant things such as immortality which is itself a form of unnatural life and can upset the balance as well as Gods of Destruction cannot destroy them and sealing them is the only real way for them to stop an immortal, as Zeno's Erase is a relatively extreme solution (given Future Zeno erased the entire future multiverse and that the Gods of Destruction or the Supreme Kai would normally be reluctant to call Zeno/Future Zeno in to deal with the problem for fear of that very scenario). Additionally they can make mortals lazy and/or be used for frivolous things such as wealth or fame which could hinder mortal development, in addition to the conflicts created by mortals and gods seeking to use the Dragon Balls (several major and minor conflicts have resulted from this such as the Battle on Planet Namek & Tournament of Destroyers. Other conflicts can be related to previous ones over Dragon Balls such as the Android conflict which was a direct result of Goku's conflict with the Red Ribbon Army) which themselves can potentially hinder the development of mortals depending on their outcome. Thus Elder Kai is correct about the Dragon Balls upsetting the natural order and that's without consider the danger of overusing them (which was only introduced by Toei Animation in Dragon Ball GT which made after Elder Kai's criticism of the Dragon Balls use in both the anime and manga) or Dragon Balls with dangerous side effects such as the Black Star Dragon Balls (also introduced in GT) and Dark Dragon Balls (which were introduced in the Dragon Ball Heroes series).
- However interestingly Elder Kai is apparently the only deity shown to hold these views as King Kai, Shin/Kibito Kai, Beerus, Champa, and Chronoa see no problem with their existence and some have even utilized Dragon Balls themselves. Additionally both Kami and Dende have held the position of Guardian when they created or restored the Earth's Dragon Balls. Presumably this is because even the gods find their capabilities too useful. It should be noted that Chronoa and Elder Kai are aware of the danger of their overuse though this is apparently only problematic with smaller Dragon Balls, as bigger ones like the Namekian and Super Dragon Balls presumably can hold a lot more negative energy (though its possible that they do not produce any negative energy as the Dragon Clan Namekians and Zalama might know how to create Dragon Balls that do not produce negative energy as Kami might nit have known how to do the same when he created the Earth's and Dende was unable to remove that trait when he restored them either due to inexperience or because that aspect could not be removed).
- In the Xenoverse 2, he is shown to hold similar negative opinion of Time Machines and Time Rings as he apparently considers both a danger to the natural order of both time and a threat to the history of the universe, though is slightly more understanding, presumably due to the fact that Supreme Kai such as himself are normally the only ones allow to use Time Rings, though he does recognize that they can be easily misused and is apparently against them himself as it should be noted the use of Time Ring contributed to Zamasu's fall and transformation into Goku Black as seeing the future of the Babarians only added to his belief that mortals were a lost cause and needed to be exterminated. Elder Kai himself may be even be mindful of this fact. Additionally the Time Patrol utilize Time Scrolls and Time Machines to carry out their duties under Chronoa's authority (as Elder Kai works with the Time Patrol at her request) thus he is more lenient.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, 2016
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Resurrection ‘F’ Pack DLC
- ↑ Saikyō Jump #6, 2014
- ↑ Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Super Pack 4 DLC