Saiyan beyond God (神を超えたサイヤ人, Kami wo koeta Saiya-jin; "Saiyan who has surpassed God") is an empowered state of being undertaken by Saiyans who achieve the ability to utilize the power of Super Saiyan God without having to change their form.
Concept and creation
This state was named by the arcade game Dragon Ball Heroes. In-game, some cards allow Goku to actually transform into the state. Also in-game, the appearance differs from their regular base form, showing sharper and more stern eyes.
When Saiyan beyond God is activated, the user does not suffer from any significant change in his appearance beyond the constant presence of the white aura while he fights.
Usage and power
The existence of this form was first hinted at by Akira Toriyama in an interview, where he noted that after Battle of Gods Goku realized that fully mastering the base and the Super Saiyan forms would lead to increasing the user's level more than the Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3 forms, and also sap less energy than them. In the anime only this state is shown to be superior to Super Saiyan God, as while fighting Frieza as a Saiyan beyond God, it is noted by Krillin and Gohan that they could not see either Goku or Frieza's movements, while they had previously been able to see Super Saiyan God Goku and a suppressed Beerus' movements, and when Goku (in what appeared to be in his Saiyan beyond God state) held his own against Beerus, disguised as Monaka (although he suppressed his power to avoid destroying the costume and expose his true identity). Goku also appeared to use this state in his battle against Copy-Vegeta on Potaufeu, fighting on par with the commeson copy, who easily defeated Gotenks in his Super Saiyan 3 form.
Goku obtains this state by taking on and then dropping out of Super Saiyan God yet was able to access part of the power without a physical change. Additionally if a "Saiyan beyond God" attempts to transform into a Super Saiyan, they will instead become a Super Saiyan Blue. In the anime Saiyans who became a Saiyan beyond God are able to sense godly ki, even if not possessing that said ki itself.
In the Resurrection ‘F’ manga and its movie version, Goku's Saiyan beyond God state is shown to be able to access the powers of Super Saiyan God, in the anime version this is the same, however the user does not possess godly ki. This power allowed Goku to compete against the trained Frieza's true form. In the movie, Goku clearly outmatched the tyrant. In the manga and anime version, Frieza's power was somewhat on par with Goku in this state, although Goku was shown with a slight advantage.
Vegeta is said to have the power of Super Saiyan God, as he is able to transform into Super Saiyan Blue, meaning that he has godly ki, Vegeta also possesses the Saiyan beyond God state. His duplicate Cloned Vegeta and Vegito - his fusion with Goku - can also use it, as both were shown becoming a Super Saiyan Blue.
While sparring on Planet Beerus in the manga, Goku and Vegeta appear to be using the Saiyan beyond God state initially before transforming into the newly named Super Saiyan Blue. Later Goku and Vegeta begin using Super Saiyan God once again, ignoring Saiyan beyond God.
Video game appearances
- Dragon Ball Heroes - Appears as a transformation for Goku.
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle - This state functions as Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Vegeta's base form in-game.
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse - (Referenced)
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - Appears as form for Goku and Vegeta appear in their Whis Symbol outfits.
In Dragon Ball Heroes, Saiyan beyond God is introduced in the first mission of the God Mission series (GDM1). When Super Saiyan Blue Goku is selected in Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden, he will briefly appear using it in the beginning of the fight, and will return into it at the end of fight.
- Although the Saiyans' power level in this state is obtained via the Super Saiyan God form, in the anime the ki of this state is not godly as it is shown in Dragon Ball Super that Goku's ki can still be felt by others in this state.
- Similarly in Dragon Ball Fusions, Kid Goku could still feel Goku Black's ki while he was in the same state in Ziku-kan Quest: "Darkness Cometh".
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Saiyan beyond God is referenced in a dialogue between Goku and Demigra. As Demigra tries to control Goku and fails in the process, the latter says it is because he became a god like him. As their fight takes place after Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods events, Goku retained the Super Saiyan God powers, thus being unable to be controlled by Demigra's magic.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 God-like Saiyan
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Can transform into Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, which according to promotional material for the Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ movie refers to Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan as a "Saiyan who has the power of Super Saiyan God, then proceeds to transform into a Super Saiyan".
- ↑ Saikyō Jump #6, 2014
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, 2013
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’, 2015
- ↑ Promotional material for the movie and in Dragon Ball Xenoverse game series refer to Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan as a "Saiyan who has the power of Super Saiyan God, then proceeds to transform into a Super Saiyan".
- ↑ "Beerus and Champa"