Scratch, also called Tama (タマ), is Dr. Brief's cat. It is frequently seen on Dr. Brief's shoulder (much more often in the anime than in the manga) and does not play a major role in the Dragon Ball series.
According to Dr. Brief, Scratch has had four years of experience with capsule technology. Although it is uncertain just how experienced Scratch is with the technology, Brief seems to hold its knowledge in high regard, as he assures Chi-Chi "No one can troubleshoot a frozen osciphilator like we can".
Goku's Fire Brigade
Scratch appears in the short film Goku's Fire Brigade, where his appearance is different and is Bulma's personal pet that lives with her in her apartment. Scratch was hungry causing Bulma to not focus on her cooking. When an earthquake happened Bulma fell and got knocked out from hitting her head on a dresser while Scratch cried and licked her while the apartment caught on fire. When Goku came up he had Bulma hold onto his Power Pole while it retracted and Goku saved Scratch. In the end Scratch got reunited with Bulma and licked her out of happiness.
Voice actors and actresses
- Ocean Group dub: Saffron Henderson (Namek Saga), Cathy Weseluck (Cell Games Saga)
- FUNimation dub: Barry Watson
- It seems Scratch is almost always looking towards the reader/viewer no matter how he is positioned.
- In the English dub of the Dragon Ball series, Scratch is referred to as a female while in the Japanese dub, Scratch is a male cat.
- Scratch was voiced by FUNimation producer Barry Watson in their dub of the series (so far his only voice acting credit).
- While being called Tama in the Japanese anime and Scratch in the English dub, the cat is nameless in the manga http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26137&p=750431&hilit=Tama#p750431
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Majin Time Patroller Bentora mentions to the Future Warrior that he encountered Scratch while investigating the Capsule Corporation time rift anomaly and the cat ate his snacks, which makes Bentora want to find the Scratch and turn him into a snack.