|Debut||Dragon Ball Z: Bardock - The Father of Goku|
|Date of death||Age 737|
|Allegiance||Planet Trade Organization|
Saiyan Army (Bardock's Elite)
Shugesh (パンブーキン, Panbūkin) is a Saiyan warrior within the Saiyan Army and one of the members of Bardock's team, along with Borgos, Fasha and Tora. His name is a pun on "pumpkin," well fitting his overweight physique.
In Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's original character design of Bardock's Team, Shugesh/Panbukin was drawn with a more Nappa-like structure. For example he was much taller and had an equal muscle mass. He was later changed into the "pumpkin" resembling figure he is now, for reasons that Akira Toriyama said that he wanted Saiyans to have more "distinguishing features" (Akira Toriyama drew the final draft of Bardock's team).
The physical change may also be a pun of his name. Like Bardock and Toma, Panbukin's original name given to him by Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru (パンプキン, Panpukin) was not completely changed in the final draft by Akira Toriyama.
While battling in Great Ape form in Planet Kanassa, his cheek is cut by a Ki Blast from a Kanassan to which he retaliates by crushing the Kanassan under his foot. Later, he tackles another Kanassan after he hit Bardock in the back of the neck. After the team destroys Planet Meat's inhabitants, Shugesh is the first of his teammates to be killed by Dodoria and his elite under Frieza's orders.
Techniques and special abilitiesEdit
- Flight – The ability to fly with the use of ki.
- Massive Catapult (マッシブカタパルト) – The name of one of Shugesh's attacks in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Knee Strike – Used to tackle the Kanassan who attacked Bardock.
- Gigantic Stomp – Used as a Great Ape to kill the Kanassian who wounded him.
Video game appearancesEdit
- He is not the first Saiyan character to be called "Panbukin", this name was also used for Scarface in the Japanese version.