"We are real close to Majin Buu's house out here."
Smitty is a gunman who hangs around with the madman Van Zant and appears for a few episodes of the Majin Buu Saga. In the uncut version, a scene is shown where Van Zant gets Smitty to shoot an old man. Smitty hesitates to kill him, but after he does, he finds it fun to kill people. In the Japanese dub and the manga, it is implied that Van Zant is from a wealthy family/background and Smitty is his butler, as the latter refers to the former as "young master."
Dragon Ball Z
Majin Buu Saga
Main article: Majin Buu Saga
Smitty is first seen when Van Zant shoots an elderly lady with no mercy. At Van Zant's request, and with some hesitation, Smitty shoots her husband. Just like Van Zant, Smitty eventually enjoys slaughtering people he comes across. After killing many innocents, they attack Majin Buu and blow up his house. Then Mr. Satan beats them up, knocking Smitty off the edge of the hill before pummeling Van Zant.
When Mr. Satan is shot by Van Zant, Majin Buu becomes incredibly mad, and creates Evil Buu. Smitty watches the battle between Majin Buu and Evil Buu, his tall thin gray counterpart, and sees Van Zant get vaporized by Evil Buu's Guilty Flash. When Evil Buu eats Majin Buu and turns into Super Buu, he notices Smitty, who desperately tries to shoot him, but fails, so he runs. Buu turns into liquid and goes down Smitty's throat as part of his Dangerous Liquid Bomb technique, making him expand until he explodes.
Video game appearances
- Japanese: Yasuhiko Kawazu (DBZ), Tetsuo Kanao (DBZ Kai)
- Ocean Group dub: Ted Cole
- FUNimation dub: Duncan Brannan
- In the Ocean Dub, he speaks with a Scottish accent.
- Though Smitty's submachine gun appeared as a hybrid of a Minebea PM-9 (the Japanese variant of the Israeli IMI Uzi) and a WWII-era M3A1 "Grease Gun" in the original manga and anime, in the Viz localization of the manga, it had a greater resemblance to a child's Super Soaker water pistol, with the lack of iron sight, magazine, and receiver.
- Like his master Van Zant, he was presumably not revived by Porunga given his evil actions.
- While Van Zant was the driving force that lead to their attack on Majin Buu which resulted in the creation of Evil Buu and Super Buu, Smitty receives a far more gruesome death, as Evil Buu simply blasted Van Zant. While this many seem odd it should be noted that Smitty is implied to have been a moral person originally which explains his reluctance to kill, though later became a willing participant joining Van Zant in killing as Smitty found he enjoyed it thus rejecting his previous morality for the pleasure of killing, which is in contrast with Van Zant who killed without any sense of remorse and clearly deranged. Thus Smitty could be seen as more evil as he was clearly more sane than Van Zant who was crazy enough to think he could kill Majin Buu (who had managed to defeat the Earth's Military who were far better armed than they were) with Smitty simply following along with Van Zant's madness and did nothing to stop him.