Vegito charges condensed energy in his right hand and forms into a sword-like blast that can be controlled to become longer or shorter. Because this sword is created by a single usage of energy and can continue to be used without dying out, it is one of Vegito's most devastating attacks.
Vegito as a Super Saiyan uses this attack twice during his battle against Super Buu (w/ Gohan absorbed). Vegito catches Super Buu by impaling him through the stomach, but Super Buu manages to manipulate his body off of the sword and regenerate himself. Vegito uses the attack again to impale Super Buu through his mouth, but the Majin regenerates again.
Upon re-appearing in Dragon Ball Super, Vegito, in his Super Saiyan Blue form, uses this attack in the final match with Fusion Zamasu. After Vegito is knocked down and plays possum, drawing Fusion Zamasu towards him, the rogue Kai attempts to finish Vegito with his Fierce God Slicer. Vegito counters by stabbing him straight through the chest with the Spirit Sword, mocking Zamasu, as he had a similar technique. Despite being semi-immortal and feeling considerable pain, Fusion Zamasu survived the assault and broke free from the impalement. In the manga, it was shown against Fusion Zamasu that this technique can also be used for close-range combat and perform slashing strikes as well.
Appearances in games
This technique is named Beam Sword Slash in the Butōden series, and Energy Sword (エネルギー手刀) in Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury (it is chargeable and Vegito swings it around him after releasing it). It is also used in Dragon Ball Z: The Legend.
It was named Spirit Sword in the Budokai series and Dragon Ball Heroes (also used by the players' avatar). In Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, Vegito can use this move in his base form and when he does, he fires it more like an energy blast than a sword slash.
The technique is named Beam Sword Slash in the Budokai Tenkaichi series and the Raging Blast games: it is Super Vegito's Ultimate Blast in Budokai Tenkaichi 1 and Budokai Tenkaichi 2, and one of his Blast 2 attacks in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and the Raging Blast games. In Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, Vegito's first moveset uses the move as his Ultimate attack. Also, the Future Warrior can learn the Spirit Sword through a Parallel Quest.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, the Spirit Sword returns as one of Vegito's Ultimate Skills which the Future Warrior (Xenoverse 2) can obtain as a reward for completing Expert Mission 17: "In the Realm of the Gods: Goku".
- Spirit Cannon – An energy Beam version of the Spirit Sword.
- Super Bajit Sword – The team attack version used in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2, where the sword-like blast is blue.
- Spirit Excalibur – A more powerful version of the Spirit Sword used by Vegito as a Super Saiyan 3 in Dragon Ball Heroes. In the spin-off manga Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission, Froze uses it against Haze Shenron.
- Spirit Stab - Super Saiyan Blue Vegito's version of the Spirit Sword in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
- In the Yu Yu Hakusho series, Kazuma Kuwabara uses a similar technique also called Spirit Sword (霊剣, Reiken).
- In the BLEACH series, Bazz-B uses a very similar technique of the Spirit Sword called Burner Finger 4. Which he uses as a spirit sword out of reishi fire from scorching heat through his epithet, H - "The Heat".