The Supreme Kais (界王神, Kaiōshin; lit. God King of the Worlds), also called Gods of Creation (創造神, Sōzōshin), are the Shin-jins who have the ultimate duty to protect the universe. They possess godly powers and live in the Sacred World of the Kais. They far outclass the regular Kais as while the lower Kais watch over the living world, the Supreme Kais watch over both the Other World and the living world.
The Kais and Supreme Kais seem to be based on the deities who watch over the cardinal directions in Hindu scriptures (guardians of the directions) and Buddhist faith (Four Heavenly Kings). There are generally four main guardians, sometimes eight, with two additional guardians who govern and protect space, for a total of ten gods (like the Kais and Supreme Kais).
All of the Supreme Kais were originally born on the Planet Kaishin as Shin-jins. When a Kaiju tree grows an incredibly rare golden fruit, this means that a Supreme Kai will be born. If one of the Supreme Kais was to die in an accident, then the currently-inactive Supreme Kai would grow in the Sacred World of the Kais like a plant. Unlike the normal Shin-jins, who can possibly become normal Kai, the Shin-jins born from the special gold fruit have far more power and longer lifespans, well over 75 million years compared to the average average member of their race, whose lifespans is around 75,000 years.
Protectors of the universe
The Supreme Kais once ruled over the entire universe (Other World and living world), with the Grand Supreme Kai overseeing them (the same way that the regular Kais rule over their individual quadrants of the living world, with a Grand Kai in charge of the four of them). They are the Gods of Creation who provide the catalyst for life and planets to be born, as opposed to the Gods of Destruction who destroy life and planets, which maintains the balance of the universe. Supreme Kai are able to provide the impetus for planets to be born; also, they will sometimes divide up one planet and increase the number of planets. They even do things like create life-forms, or transplant them from another planet, but their basic job is to watch over the numerous planets. Because the number of planets is so very large, the four regular Kais help them out as well. The Supreme Kais intervene if it appears that the world's balance will crumble, but normally, they merely act in an advisory role for new life-forms, and do not get involved. The Supreme Kais and the Gods of Destruction go to each other's realms and hold a coordination meeting once every 1,000 years. During one of these meetings, held roughly 75 Million Before Age, they got into an argument over some trifling thing and the short-tempered God of Destruction Beerus sealed Old Kai away inside the Z Sword, as it would not have been proper for him to destroy the Sacred World of the Kais itself.
In addition to the Supreme Kais that watch over the Universe from the Sacred World of the Kais, there is also the Supreme Kai of Time that watches over time and space for the Time Nest, with the important role of protecting the history of the Universe, a position she obtained after raising the bird Tokitoki (which has the power to create time) into an adult.
The Eastern Supreme Kai states that each of the Supreme Kais were a thousand times more powerful than Frieza. But all except for him were killed (Elder Kai and the Supreme Kai of Time also survived the incident as well due to Elder Kai being trapped in the Z-Sword and the Supreme Kai of Time survived due to her living in the Time Nest) or absorbed by Majin Buu in 5 Million Before Age, resulting in the mindless killing machine seen in the first two forms of Buu being "tamed" into becoming the innocuous fat Majin Buu first shown in the series.
Like the regular Kais, the Supreme Kais are among the few living residents in Other World. However, they can still die, though this does not affect them much, as they are already in Other World. Being heavenly deities, they usually retain their bodies after death and receive halos but are not forced to visit King Yemma; this is likely due to the supremacy they have over the giant ogre.
Known Supreme Kais
- Eastern Supreme Kai from 15 generations prior
- Old Kai (fusion of former Supreme Kai and Old Witch)
- Grand Supreme Kai
- Northern Supreme Kai
- Eastern Supreme Kai (aka Supreme Kai)
- Kibito Kai (fusion of Supreme Kai and Kibito)
- Western Supreme Kai
- Southern Supreme Kai
- Supreme Kai of Time
- Kaioshin Hero
- Kaioshin Elite
- Kaioshin Berserker
- The Kais seem to be based on the guardians of the direction from Hindu scriptures. There are generally four main guardians, with an additional six, who govern and protect space. The Supreme Kai are based on the guardians Isana (northeast), Agni (southeast), Vayu (northwest) and Nirrti (southwest), with Grand Supreme Kai being derived from Visnu (nadir).
- It is unclear which of Frieza's various forms the Eastern Supreme Kai talks about when describing the Supreme Kais as being a thousand times stronger than Frieza. If talking about Frieza's power in his 1st form, then the Supreme Kais had a power level around 530,000,000 (as Frieza's power level in his first form is 530,000). If speaking of Frieza's 2nd form, then they had a power level of at least 1,000,000,000 (as Frieza's power level in his second form is said to be well over 1,000,000). It is highly unlikely the Supreme Kais were 1,000 times stronger than Frieza's 100% Final Form (which boasted a power level of 120,000,000), as that would mean they had a power level of 120,000,000,000. Super Gogeta was stated to have been at 2,500,000,000 when he destroyed Super Janemba in the movie Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn. Considering that Super Saiyan 3 Goku could not defeat Super Janemba, yet Supreme Kai is astounded by Goku's power as a Super Saiyan alone, not to mention outright frightened when he felt Goku's Super Saiyan 3 level from the Planet of the Kais, it is impossible for the Supreme Kais' power to be greater than Super Gogeta's, as that would make them more powerful than even Kid Buu (1,150,000,000), who they were annihilated by.
|Other World beings|
|Supreme Kais||Old Kai/Future Old Kai • Grand Supreme Kai • Northern Supreme Kai • Eastern Supreme Kai/Future Supreme Kai • Kibito Kai • Western Supreme Kai • Southern Supreme Kai • Supreme Kai of Time|
|Kais||Grand Kai • North Kai/Future North Kai • East Kai • West Kai • South Kai|
|Ogres||King Yemma • Megaphone Ogre • Guide • Sweeper • Goz • Mez • Saike Demon|
|Other beings||Alien Announcer • Angels of Hell • Annin • Bubbles • Darkness • Demons • Enma • Ghosts • Gregory • Janemba/Future Janemba • Kibito/Future Kibito • Korin/Future Korin • Majon • Makaios • Makaioshins • Montgomery • Mr. Popo • Old Witch • Princess Snake • Princess Snake's Attendants • Shin-jins • Shusugoro • Skeletons • Spike the Devil Man • Sprites • Sugoro • Trampire • Vampire • Zombies|
|Other World Tournament||Arqua • Caterpy • Chapuchai • Froug • Gorilla • Maraikoh • Mijorin • Olibu • Other World Fighter • Papoi • Pikkon/Future Pikkon • Sarta • Tapkar • Torbie|