It is used by Future Trunks in Dragon Ball Z 2: Super Battle (named Blade Wave (ブレードウェーブ)), Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II (also called Sword Blast), Dragon Ball Z: Taiketsu, and Super Dragon Ball Z. The Legacy of Goku II in-game description of this technique is: "This attack will make Trunks swing his sword in tandem with a destructive wave of energy." Super Janemba also uses the technique in Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury.
In the Budokai Tenkaichi series, the charged Ki Blast used by Yajirobe, Future Trunks (with Sword), Dabura, Super Janemba, and Tapion is a 3-dimensional version of the Sword Blast. The energy blade fired from the sword is capable of bypassing an opponent's guard. The only defense against this attack is to either evade it or hiding behind a stages terrain (objects or buildings) to keep from getting hit by it. Powerful variations are Blast 2 or Ultimate Blast in the Budokai Tenkaichi games:
- Brave Slash: A stronger/rapid fire version used by Tapion. Instead of a single slash wave, he fire several slash waves at the opponent in rapid succession.
- Ka-Blam Slicer: A stronger similar technique used by Yajirobe, where he creates a single powerful wave of energy from his sword and launches it at the opponent.
- Lightning Sword Slash: A technique similar to the Brave Slash. Future Trunks swings his sword rapidly, sending waves of energy blades that hit the opponent. It is his Ultimate Blast in his base form.
- Dimension Sword Attack: A technique used by Super Janemba. He performs this attack wielding his Dimension Sword, which has the power to cut through of dimensional portals of long range.
Future Trunks can use this technique as a charged Ki Blast in Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2 as well, and he has three variations as special attacks and one more as his Ultimate K.O. in his base form:
- Crescent Sword: Future Trunks slashes with his sword to send a crescent shaped beam down to the opponent.
- Flash Saber: Future Trunks slashes twice with his sword, sending yellow beams of energy at his opponent.
- Rush Blade: Future Trunks slashes down once and sends multiple blue energy blasts up at his opponent.
- Buster Blade: Future Trunks' ultimate attack. He flies at his opponent, slashes him 30 times with an advanced version of the Flash Saber, and finishes by powering his sword up and firing a final blue Sword Blast.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Janemba's Rakshasa's Claw Super Skill can fire up to 5 sword blasts depending on the button input, though they lack the power to cut through dimensional portals and act more like a standard sword blast. Rakshasa's Claw can also be used by the Future Warrior (Xenoverse 2), thus allowing them to fire their own sword blasts by using said skill.