"Wouldn't it be cool if I could fuse with myself and become two of me, huh, Dad?!"
The Fusion Dance (メチャカッコ悪い!?特訓変身ポーズ Mecha Kakko Warui!? Tokkun Henshin Pozu) is the sixteenth episode of the Majin Buu Saga and the two hundred forty-seventh overall episode in the original dubbed and the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. The episode first aired on November 23, 1994. Its original American air date was October 1, 2002.
Goku, who used up all but thirty minutes of his Earth time by fighting Majin Buu, gets back to The Lookout to teach Goten and Trunks the Fusion Dance after Fortuneteller Baba tells Goku that he has thirty minutes left to be on Earth. With Babidi gone, Goku and Piccolo wonder how Majin Buu will act but he continues his destructive ways and is shown using Innocence Express through a populated city, showing no signs of stopping.
Piccolo asks Goku to send Gohan his regards in Otherworld when Goku leaves Earth and returns to Other World and Goku agrees after Piccolo apologizes to Goku about the demise of Gohan. Piccolo asks if Goku could have beaten Buu if he had tried to and Goku says he isn't sure that he could have but more importantly that he wants to leave Earth with someone else to protect it when he is gone. Trunks returns to the lookout with the Dragon Radar and Goku begins to train the boys to do fusion one last time.
He starts by having them equalize their power levels, both as Super Saiyans and as normal Saiyans. After showing them the proper form to begin the fusion dance, he then shows them the most difficult part of the dance: A series of three delicate poses that, when performed properly, create a single being of incredible strength. The dance, however, is so ridiculous that everyone except Goku questions the dance's potential.
- Goku teaches Goten and Trunks the steps required to perform the Fusion.
- Goten vs. Krillin
Differences from the manga
- In the manga, the scene where Piccolo asks if Goku could have beaten Buu if he tried happens before the scene with Gohan training with the sword. In the anime, the scenes are in reverse.
- Goten sparring with Krillin while they wait for Trunks to show up is exclusive to the anime.
- An attack helicopter targeting Majin Buu that he promptly destroys is exclusive to the anime.
- In this episode, Buu looks through a magazine and see's global superstar Barry Kahn and changes his face to look like him. Barry Kahn later appears in Dragon Ball Super.