"Howdy! Hey, what's the matter with you? Oh, I guess I never did explain about the Time Nest, did I? Okay, I'll tell you everything you need to know! The Time Nest has two main functions. The first is to serve as a nest for Tokitoki, the bird who controls time. He may not look like much, but he is an important being. In a sense, the role of Chronoa is to serve as Tokitoki's caretaker and raise him dutifully. And the second is to house this giant building, known as the Time Vault. It holds the history of the entire universe. Pretty much everything that has ever happened is written down in the Book of the Beginnings and Endings. Of course, it includes your entire history as well! So I'd be careful about what actions I take if I were you! If you ever want to look back on your history, go take a look in the Time Vault."
The Time Nest is the home of Chronoa, the Supreme Kai of Time and her pet bird Tokitoki and the location of the Time Storage Vault (刻蔵庫 Kokuzōko), a temple-like location introduced in the video game Dragon Ball Xenoverse. It is filled with the history of Dragon Ball.
This place is stated to be almost like the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and apparently holds the key to the story of Dragon Ball Xenoverse. The Time Nest resembles a giant birdcage and contains the Time Storage Vault, a small home for Chronoa, and a large pond or lake with two perches for Tokitoki.
In Xenoverse 2 it is revealed that sometime after Demigra's defeat by the Future Warrior who become known as the Toki Toki City Hero for their role in defending the city and the Time Nest from Demigra, Chronoa requested Elder Kai assist with training the Time Patrol as Xeno Trunks and the Toki Toki City Hero were getting overwhelmed with their workload while searching for the Time Breakers who were still at large and continued to alter history. Chronoa herself was busy dealing with the preparations for the birth of one of Tokitoki's Eggs which have the power to create time for an entirely new universe and caring for them is one of her duties as Tokitoki's caretaker, which was due to occur in Age 852. As a result, Elder Kai takes over some of the day-to-day operations of the Time Patrol such as training. After Toki Toki City was accidentally destroyed by the Dragon created by Chronoa animated the Dragon Ball Pedestal's dragon statue. Conton City was built overtop the ruins though the Time Nest itself was not damaged due to it being physically separated from the rest of the city. To prevent further attacks like Demigra's, Elder Kai and Chronoa erected a permanent invisible barrier around Conton City and the Time Nest. The Time Nest continues to serve the same purpose it has for centuries as the nest of the divine bird Tokitoki as well as the home of Chronoa and the Time Vault, though Elder Kai stays there as well when assisting the Time Patrol, despite the fact that he and Chronoa often tend to bicker amongst themselves, though can work together despite this. Eventually Chronoa decides they need a new Time Patroller to deal with history changes as the Toki Toki City Hero once did. At Elder Kai's suggestion she selects the a new Future Warrior who happens to be a promising new recruit and student of Elder Kai's. After some battle training under Chronoa, the warrior is tasked with using the Time Scrolls to fix changes in history and discovers that the Time Breakers have recruited Turles and Lord Slug to alter history in Age 762 on both Earth and Namek. Elder Kai takes on the role of overseeing their missions from the Time Nest and providing them with information alongside Chronoa, just like Xeno Trunks did for the Future Warrior. Though the time nest is protected by a barrier, Towa manages to hack into its communications using information provided by the brainwashed Toki Toki City Hero after she and Mira captured them, which she uses to lure Beerus and Whis to Age 852, to prevent them from assisting the Z Fighters during Frieza's Revenge in Age 779, resulting in all those saved by Whis in the original timeline, being killed by Frieza's Earth Breaker. She does this by pretending to be Chronoa and telling him the Time Nest is being attacked by Mira, promising him cream puffs made by Xeno Trunks (as Beerus is weary of accepting food from her after tasting some of the awful Pudding she had made for him after a battle with Mira and the Masked Saiyan interrupted his fight with Super Saiyan God Goku) if he assists them. Her plan is successful but the Warrior is saved by Xeno Trunks, and Beerus aids the Time Patrol in fixing history by having Whis use his Temporal Do-Over to undo the destruction of Earth. However, after Mira is pulled into a time rift by Bardock during the Time Patrol's confrontation with the Time Breakers in Age ??? which had been conquered by Towa and Mira, Towa travels back to Age 850 and kills Shenron preventing Xeno Trunks from making the wish that summons the Toki Toki City Hero, causing them to disappear from history, which creates a massive time distortion capable of effecting even the Time Nest itself and is potentially capable of causing it to self-destruct if the source is not located and fixed. However the alterations have effected the memories of even the Time Patrol members, though fortunately Xeno Trunks remembers the correct history thanks to the mask Towa had used to control the Toki Toki City Hero and locates the source of the distortion. While Xeno Trunks, Chronoa, and Elder Kai deal the impending destruction of the Time Nest caused by the change, the Warrior is sent to stop Towa, and receives assistance from Xeno Trunks' past self in driving Towa off. This saves the Time Nest from destruction though unfortunately Towa uses the Hero's mask as a conduit to bypass the barrier in order to steal Tokitoki's Egg after all her attempts to produce one artificially failed. She also attacks Chronoa to announce her presence, revealing how she bypassed the barrier. Using the eggs power she frees Mira who attacks the Warrior and Xeno Trunks, though the Toki Toki City Hero manages to shield the warrior from a second blast allowing them to chase after Mira and Towa leading to the Time Breakers defeat in Age ???. This however would not be the last incursion to breach the Time Nest's defenses.
During the conflict with Goku Black & Future Zamasu, Infinite Zamasu appears in the Time Nest as he attempts to become one with all of creation, and mocks the Time Patrol, though Chronoa reveals his defeat is a part of history and before he can do any damage he is erased by Future Zeno which causes Infinite Zamasu to disappear.
Places of Interest
Supreme Kai of Time's Residence
A house located southeast the Time Vault which is where Chronoa resides. The area around it is quite messy due to Chronoa's request for Trunks to bring stuff from Capsule Corporation.
"Hey there! How are you doing? Are the Time Patrols going okay? Hm? Why do we go back and fix history? You haven't heard? I don't believe it. Think about it. We can't let these evildoers just go back and change history as they please! If history is altered too much, it'll be the end of the world as we know it! Once history changes, it will create a fissure in the Book of the Beginnings and Endings. When there is a difference between the proper history and the altered one, it's too much for a single scroll to contain. So as the number of scrolls increases, the Time Vault where they're stored fills up. Once its limit is reached... Boom! I'm afraid if the Time Vault goes, the entire universe will disappear along with it. That's why you need to fix these changes, so I can return things to a single scroll! Yup, I'm completely capable of such a feat! What do you expect from the all-powerful Supreme Kai of Time?!"
— Chronoa explaining how altering history could destroy the Time Vault in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
The Time Vault contains the Book of the Beginning and End that contain a record of the history of time. It is an important role in maintaining the history of the Universe and it is Chronoa's job to protect it, a role which the usually carefree Chronoa takes very seriously. If it were ever damaged or destroyed, the entire universe would cease to exist. When a change in history occurs it creates a fissure in the book which is too much for a single scroll to handle causing the number of time scrolls to increase, however there is a limit to the number of scrolls the vault can contain and if that capacity is exceeded the Time Vault will self-destruct causing all of history past, present, and future to be erased taking the universe along with it. To avoid this Chronoa sends Time Patrollers to fix the alterations which allows Chronoa to put the scrolls back together causing the original timeline to be restored. Though the Time Vault and Toki Toki City/Conton City are separated physically they can normally only be effected by extremely massive time distortions caused by alterations to history, thus their inhabitants are normally protected from minor changes as Xeno Trunks became ephemeral when Towa attacked his past selves in Age 782 and Age 785, while the Future Warrior disappeared in a matter of seconds in Age ??? when Towa traveled to Age 850 to kill Shenron, thus being in the Time Nest or either city can protect the Time Patrollers and Chronoa from alterations to history. However a massive time distortion will effect them causing their memories to be effected, though they can regain them if reminded of the correct events or a person connected to them that has disappeared, allowing them to be corrected, though if left unchecked, said distortions can cause the Time Vault to begin to reach capacity.
- The Time Nest gets its name from the fact that it is home to Tokitoki the divine bird that creates time and its caretaker Chronoa the Supreme Kai of Time.
- According to Chronoa, if the Time Vault is ever destroyed all of history will be erased and the universe will cease to exist. One of her duties as Chronoa is to ensure that this never happens.
- This may explain why Flight is unusable inside the Time Nest in Xenoverse 2 even after obtaining a flying license. Presumably it is to prevent potential accidents. Ironically this makes Tokitoki the only one allowed to fly in the Time Nest. However Time Patrollers can levitate while using the Mediation Emote, as they simply float in the air in one place.
- In Xenoverse 2, Vehicle Capsules cannot be uses in the Time Nest, despite the Vehicle Controls Tutorial specially stating they can, when in fact they can only be used in Conton City, the Capsule Corp rift, Guru's House rift, Majin Buu's House rift, and Satan House rift. Again however this is likely to prevent accidents. Presumably the tutorial is simply mistaken or it is the result of an error in translation.
- Démigra discovered that, ironically, one can survive the destruction of the Time Vault (and the resulting destruction of history) by hiding within the Crack of Time, which exists outside history.
- Piccolo says the water found in the Time Nest is special, as a single drink of this water cleans both mind and soul, which is considered a utopia for Namekians.
- Since Chronoa has a fascination with and interest in technology, the area around her house is cluttered with various pieces of Capsule Corporation tech provided to her by Future Trunks. According to Future Trunks, the mess is due to the Supreme Kai's being an untidy housekeeper. It is implied that after she captured the Capsule Corporation cleaning robot he got for her and asked it so many questions it overloaded he gave up and decided to do the cleaning himself.
- Chronoa's residence is the only building in the Time Nest that cannot be entered in either Xenoverse or Xenoverse 2. Thus the interior is never seen, though it apparently has a kitchen where Chronoa prepares meals, though she herself is a terrible cook. Given the state of the yard outside her house, it conceivable that the inside of her home is just as messy if not more so.
- The Time Nest apparently connected to Toki Toki City via a portal of some kind as it is possible to walk behind the portal archway that connects the Time Nest and Toki Toki City. It is even possible to exit the Time Nest by going through the portal by going through the back of the archway.
- During Elder Kai's training, the Elder Kai performs his ritual to unlock the Future Warrior's potential, while fellow Time Patroller's Taino, Recon, and Mefla watch, though they eventually get bored and leave as the ritual drags on.
- It is implied during the Warrior of Hope Saga that normally Time Rings cannot access the Time Nest though this can be circumvented by using the Time Ring to follow a Time Patroller who travels through time via Time Scroll back to the Time Nest presumably using the same route created by the Patroller traveling through time. As a result, the Time Patrollers must be careful when returning to the Time Nest after correcting history involving Goku Black and Future Zamasu.
- Given their personalities it is likely that Goku Black and Future Zamasu would wish to access the Time Nest as it would give access to the Time Scrolls which they may attempt to use or alter to ensure their Zero Mortals Plan succeeds. Additionally any conflict with them inside the Time Nest could damage or destroy the Time Vault. However fortunately Elder Kai and Chronoa alert both Future Warriors to the danger possessed by Time Rings preventing this scenario from taking place. However Infinite Zamasu does manage to reach the Time Nest similar to how he appears in the main timeline though his erasure by Future Zeno prevents him from doing any damage.