For the most part Tokitoki is a friendly and gentle creature, though he has a habit of screeching at people who anger or upset him. Though he gets along well with his caretaker Chronoa whom he often follows around and cares for her, he can do things that annoy her such as perching on her head. Though he normally gets along with Chronoa, Tokitoki did attack Chronoa with his talons out of jealously when she called Bardock "dreamy" and only stopped when she claimed she was joking.
Tokitoki himself is shown to be fully aware of Chronoa's terrible cooking skills as he visibly shakes when Chronoa suggests cooking a feast in Xenoverse 2 and joins Xeno Trunks in persuading her to wait. Though he is only capable of squawking the syllables that make up his name "To" and "Ki", Chronoa is able to understand him and he is shown to be able to make a persuasive argument in favor of using the Dragon Balls to wish for a feast by arguing that there were too many people to cook for, showing he is intelligent. According to Xeno Trunks, before he became her assistant and the creation of the Time Patrol, Tokitoki was Chronoa's only companion for many years. This and the fact Chronoa was also responsible for saving Tokitoki from Demigra in the past twice and has been his caretaker for most of his life, explains the close bond between Tokitoki and Chronoa. Tokitoki is shown to care for Chronoa as he screeches when Towa attacks Chronoa, showing he cares about Chronoa's well-being.
Tokitoki cares greatly for his eggs as he screeches at Xeno Trunks for failing to realize the importance of the egg Tokitoki had just laid and tried to attack Towa after she attack Chronoa and stole his egg, forcing Chronoa to hold onto him tightly in order to prevent him from being hurt by Towa, showing that Tokitoki has a strong maternal instinct to protect his eggs, despite being male.
Tokitoki was born at least 75,000,000 years ago. Back when Chronoa was still a Kai, she and a wizard named Demigra were tasked with raising him. However Demigra started plotting and began experimenting on Tokitoki, resulting in a time distortion. Fortunately Chronoa grew suspicious of Demigra and went to expose his plans in order to save Tokitoki. This lead to Chronoa's fight with Demigra and his two cohorts Gravy and Putine who Chronoa defeated. For their crimes, Demigra, Gravy, Putine, and several other evil wizards where banished to the Demon Realm. As a result, Chronoa was left as Tokitoki's sole caretaker.
He was eventually raised into an adult by the Chronoa resulting in her being given the position of Supreme Kai of Time. However Demigra had managed to gather enough Kili to become a Demon God and attacked the Time Nest in an attempt to seize Tokitoki and claim Chronoa's position for himself. However Chronoa was able to defeat the Demon God and sealed him within the Crack of Time. Afterwards she and Tokitoki lived alone together in the Time Nest in relative peace, though eventually Chronoa was forced to recruit Xeno Trunks as an assistant due to the number of timelines created by his use of the Time Machine and create the Time Patrol in order to deal with other changes in history and any anomalies resulting from the abuse of time travel.
During the game's story, Tokitoki starts acting strangely, likely due to Towa and Mira's alterations of history and possibly due to the weakening of the barrier that separates the Crack of Time from the rest of the universe. Tokitoki later became the namesake of Toki Toki City. Part of Chronoa's role as Supreme Kai of Time is the care and protection of Tokitoki and his eggs which are capable of creating time for an entirely new universe.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse
Main article: Dragon Ball Xenoverse
Tokitoki is seen in a scene in Dragon Ball Xenoverse landing on top of Chronoa's head, after shooing him off she stated she did not care he was mad and that he is heavier than he looks.
Later, Tokitoki is next to Chronoa as she wonders if there are more people like Mira and Towa who can alter history, but dismisses her thought of Demigra's involvement as impossible.
When Demigra appears in the Time Nest Chronoa reveals in 75 Million Before Age the Demon God tried to seize control of the Time Nest and attempted to kidnap Tokitoki but failed and was sealed inside the Crack of Time. When Demigra demands Chronoa handover Tokitoki, she refuses and Shields Tokitoki with her body.
During the Demon God Demigra Saga, she orders Future Trunks to protect Tokitoki before leaving to summon Goku with the Dragon Balls. When Demigra attacks Toki Toki City, he manages to capture and seal Tokitoki in a Sphere of Dark energy which he swallows, gaining the powers of a God in the process. After SSJ3 Goku and the Future Warrior kill Demigra with a Friend Kamehameha. As the Crack of Time collapses, the Future Warrior dodges a falling Time Chasm Crystal, causing the orb containing Tokitoki to float near them and release Tokitoki. Goku grabs Tokitoki by the head and uses Instant Transmission to return to the Time Nest. While being greeted by Future Trunks and Chronoa, Tokitoki perches on Goku's arm.
In the Alternate Ending, the Future Warrior defeats Demigra with the Z-Spirit Kamehameha and like the normal ending they dodge a falling Time Chasm Crystal and the orb holding Tokitoki appears and Tokitoki is freed. Tokitoki then uses its power to teleport itself and the Future Warrior back to the Time Nest where they are greeted by Goku, Future Trunks, and Chronoa.
After the Credits, Tokitoki flies around the restored Toki Toki City and encounters Beerus and Whis talking about Demigra's defeat. He perches on Whis' staff while the pair chat and Whis pets Tokitoki on the head before he and Beerus leave.
Later Tokitoki joins Chronoa and Future Trunks in watching the Future Warrior test four new Time Patrol candidates, which the Future Warrior easily defeats. Tokitoki is startled by Future Trunks yelling at the Warrior for overdoing it. Eventually Chronoa is able to calm Tokitoki down and the two rejoin the Future Warrior and Trunks.
At the end of the Legendary Super Saiyan Saga, Tokitoki gets jealous when Chronoa mentions she thinks Bardock's bad boy image is attractive and wonders if he has a girlfriend before Future Trunks reveals he has a wife. His jealousy causing him to attack her, however Chronoa reveals she was only kidding.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
"Tokitoki is a divine bird that manipulates time. His eggs hold the time for a brand new universe."
— Elder Kai
Tokitoki is with Chronoa when she congratulates the Future Warrior on their new assignment. After the Warrior manages to fix Time distortions on Earth and Namek caused by Turles and Lord Slug, Chronoa leaves it to Old Kai and the Warrior to figure out how to stop the pair, causing Old Kai to admonish her for leaving in the middle of a discussion, only for Chronoa to inform him that she needs to prepare as Tokitoki is about to lay an egg soon. Old Kai congratulates her and explains to the Warrior that Tokitoki's eggs hold the time for a new universe. Chronoa adds that basically Tokitoki's eggs have the power to create time itself and part of her role as Supreme Kai of Time is to make sure that Tokitoki lays healthy eggs, thus the Supreme Kai of Time is responsible making sure the eggs are healthy in order to produce time for entirely new universes which is fitting given she is the Gods of Creation that governs time and space. This also explains why Chronoa was selected to be Supreme Kai of Time after she successfully raised him into an adult, as Tokitoki is essentially a divine bird that creates time.
After battling with the Androids and Mira in both the main and Future Trunks' timeline, Chronoa calls Xeno Trunks and the 2nd Future Warrior to make an announcement which Xeno Trunks assumes is another history change, only to be dumbfounded when she reveals that Tokitoki had finally laid a Time Egg as Elder Kai had neglected to tell Xeno Trunks about the eggs. Trunks is unimpressed by Chronoa's announcement causing Chronoa to yell at him and Tokitoki to screech in anger over Trunks' ignorance. Elder Kai explains the power of Tokitoki's eggs and there important role as he had previously to the Future Warrior, causing Trunks to state it that it is "One hell of an Egg!. Chronoa wants to throw a party to celebrate and announces she will cook up a feast, striking fear in both Xeno Trunks and Tokitoki who are well aware of Chronoa's horrible cooking skills. Xeno Trunks suggests they wait and Tokitoki agrees, much to Chronoa's disappointment as she had just gotten a new apron, but decides to hold off as the original Future Warrior hadn't yet returned and that it would be best to wait until they could get everybody together, much to Xeno Trunks and Tokitoki's relief.
After the battle with the resurrected Golden Frieza and Metal Cooler, during which Towa hacked the Time Nest and impersonated Chronoa to lure Beerus and Whis from Age 779, Beerus is furious that Towa failed to appear after the Future Warrior stopped Frieza from destroying the Earth thanks to Whis' Temporal Do-Over. At first Whis suggests sealing Elder Kai in the Z Sword again, but is soon informed by Chronoa that Tokitoki laid an egg. Whis is excited by the news and understanding that it would be bad if he allowed Beerus to accidentally destroy the egg in his anger over Towa's manipulation of him, Whis offers to spare with both Beerus and the 2nd Future Warrior, which piques Beerus' interest as it had been a while since he and his master spared. The sparing session manages to calm Beerus down and the Future Warrior manages to impress both Whis and Beerus the latter of whom decides to leave Towa and Mira's defeat to the Time Patrol and they return to their own time.
Later they discover that Towa had brainwashed both Bardock and the original Future Warrior, turning them into the Masked Saiyan and Masked Future Warrior respectively. After Mira is pulled into a Wormhole by a vengeful Bardock who had been freed by Xeno Trunks and the 2nd Future Warrior, Towa summons the Masked Future Warrior. However both Towa and the Masked Warrior are defeated and the original Future Warrior is freed but Towa travels through time and the original Future Warrior suddenly fades from existence, leaving behind only the Mask Towa used to brainwash them which they take back with them. Xeno Trunks, Chronoa, Elder Kai, and the 2nd Future Warrior are left with no memory of the original Future Warrior though they suspect something is wrong when all of a sudden a massive time distortion effects all the scrolls at once. Chronoa realizes that a distortion on this scale would be powerful enough to effect even herself and those who inhabit the Time Nest and Conton City and begins looking through the scrolls with Elder Kai while Trunks and the Warrior check outside. Tokitoki watches as Chronoa and Elder Kai go through the scrolls but don't have any luck. Xeno Trunks stares at the Mask they brought back with them and starts to remember his old partner and figures out the source of the change: the Scroll of Age 850 when Xeno Trunks made the wish that summoned the original Future Warrior. They find that Towa traveled to Age 850 and killed Shenron before Xeno Trunks could make the wish. As the Time Vault is about to collapse, Trunks sends the Warrior off to stop Towa, while he, Chronoa, and Elder handle the Time Vault. Fortunately, the Warrior is able to stop her from killing Shenron and drives Towa off allowing Xeno Trunks' past self to make the wish. The Warrior returns to the Time Vault, and is congratulated by both Xeno Trunks and Elder Kai, but Chronoa states it is no time to celebrate as long as Towa is out there. Tokitoki screeches and Chronoa is attacked from behind by Towa who appears inside the Time Vault to the shock of Xeno Trunks, Elder Kai, Tokitoki, and the Future Warrior. Elder Kai cannot believe it as the Time Nest and Conton City are protected by a barrier, but Towa reveals that the Mask they brought with them was what allowed her to bypass it and reveals her plan was to steal Tokitoki's egg all along. Chronoa holds on to Tokitoki to prevent him from trying to attack Towa in an effort to protect his egg. Towa frees Mira from the Wormhole and he easily defeats Xeno Trunks and almost takes out the 2nd Future Warrior but they are shielded by the original Future Warrior who's existence had been restored. With both Xeno Trunks and the original Warrior out of action, the 2nd Future Warrior chases after Mira and Towa to Age ???. However Towa is later absorbed along with the egg by Mira who had changed after being defeated by SSJ3 Bardock in the Time Rift. This causes Mia to transform into his Final Form. However Goku arrives to aid the Future Warrior to repay them for their help in defeating Golden Frieza and Metal Cooler, transforming into a Super Saiyan Blue to fight Mira. Together they defeat Mira, with Goku using a Dragon Fist to remove Tokitoki's Egg and telling the Future Warrior to finish it, causing them to finish Mira off with a Super Kamehameha. They return to the Time Nest, only for Chronoa to yell at Goku for trying to eat Tokitoki's egg causing Tokitoki to screech at Goku in anger as well. Chronoa then informs everyone that the egg is ready to hatch soon and everyone is anticipating the birth of a new universe. To celebrate the return of Tokitoki's egg and the defeat of Towa and Mira, Chronoa decides to hold to feast she originally planned, but Tokitoki successfully convinces her that there are too many people to cook for and to use the Dragon Balls to summon Shenron to wish up a feast despite Elder Kai's protests over using the Dragon Balls for "ordering takeout", but his objections fall on deaf ears when Beerus successes it will be fine as it is a festive occasion after all. Tokitoki is later seen flying near the table where Chronoa, Whis, Elder Kai, and Goku are sitting during the feast. After the feast, Tokitoki joins Chronoa in watching the two Future Warriors sparring.
As a divine bird, Tokitoki possesses the power to create and manipulate time thus it serves an important role in producing time itself. Tokitoki's eggs can even create time for an entire universe and possess enough Kili to revive the Demon Realm according Towa. Due to its power over time, as Supreme Kai of Time Chronoa is responsible for ensuring Tokitoki is protected and well cared for to ensure the production of health Time Eggs.
Demigra's experiments on the young Tokitoki in the past resulted in a time distortion, indicating that any potential harm to Tokitoki could result in time distortions. Tokitoki's power over time is one of the main reasons Demigra attempted to take the bird during his first attack on the Time Nest and his later absorption of Tokitoki in Age 850, which granted him power over time and space. In fact Chronoa was given her position mainly due to her successfully managing to raise Tokitoki into an adult after saving the bird from Demigra after he abused his position as one of Tokitoki's caretakers, proving herself the ideal candidate for the position of Supreme Kai of Time, as Tokitoki's care and protection is one of the Supreme Kai of Time's main duties to ensure the creation of time itself.
While Tokitoki's power and influence over the creation of time is great, Tokitoki is physically weak and requires Chronoa, Xeno Trunks, Future Warrior to protect him from threats such as Demigra and was easily captured and turned into candy by Demigra so he could absorb the bird's power over time. Chronoa also had to hold onto Tokitoki tightly in order to prevent him from attacking Towa to protect his egg from the Demon Scientist.
Techniques and special abilities
- Hikou - Being a bird, Tokitoki can naturally fly using his wings.
- Talons - Used to attack Chronoa when he was jealous over her comments about finding Bardock attractive.
- Time Creation - Tokitoki possesses the ability to actually create time.
- Egg Laying - Despite being male, Tokitoki has the ability to lay eggs, though instead of offspring these eggs hold time for a new universe. According to Towa, these Time Eggs also contain an massive amount of Kili enough she believes will allow her revive the Demon Realm and control time and space. Originally, Towa tried to artificially recreate these Time eggs herself but failed resulting in the creation of 5 Distorted Time Eggs which were later recovered by the 2nd Future Warrior. Chronoa later reveals that Towa failed as it is impossible to recreate Tokitoki's Eggs artificially and had to resort to stealing Tokitoki's Egg, though she and the egg ended up being absorbed by Mira, who was defeated by SSGSS Goku who used the Dragon Fist to recover the egg and the 2nd Future Warrior killed Mira with a Super Kamehameha after the egg was safely removed from Mira. However, Chronoa later had to stop Goku from trying to eat the egg as he thought it looked tasty. Chronoa mentions that the egg will soon hatch marking the birth of an entirely new universe.
- Teleportation Technique - Used by Tokitoki in the Alternate Ending of "Defend History! Unknown Battle" to transport himself and the Future Warrior back to the safely of the Time Nest.
- Tokitoki's Protection - An ability bestowed on those Tokitoki is fond of according to Chronoa. The exact nature of this ability is unknown.
- On the Time Scrolls, there is a tassel with one of Tokitoki's feathers attached to it.
- Chronoa tells the Future Warrior that those who Tokitoki is very fond are said to receive the gift of Tokitoki's Protection, though she admits she has only heard about it long ago.
- She also states that Tokitoki seems to like the Future Warrior, indicating they may receive Tokitoki's Protection. During the Demon God Demigra Saga the Future Warrior finds themself in an empty space that resembles the Hyperbolic Time Chamber (though it lacks the living area, hourglasses, and doorway) after they are hit by one of Demigra's Energy Spears and restrained causing them to fall unconscious. They awake to find themselves in this empty space where the only thing of interest is a Time Scroll that records the events of Age 850 that allows the Future Warrior to travel back in time and stop Demigra's plan of destroying the Time Storage Vault. Before slipping into unconsciousness and waking up in the empty space, the Future Warrior heard the cries of Tokitoki (who had been swallowed by Demigra). It is assumed that this empty space with the Time Scroll was likely created by Tokitoki's Protection to aid the Future Warrior in stopping Demigra and ultimately freeing Tokitoki from the Demon God.
- Despite being male, Tokitoki is capable of laying eggs, though they produce time for an entire universe instead of offspring.
- In Xenoverse 2, Chronoa is shown to be capable of understanding Tokitoki.
- Tokitoki apparently dislikes Chronoa's horrible cooking as he is visibly shaken alongside Future Trunks and screeches when she says she's going to prepare a feast to celebrate Tokitoki recent egg laying in Xenoverse 2.
- After Mira's defeat, he even encourages Chronoa to use the Dragon Balls to make the enough food for everyone, when she suggests cooking it herself. He successfully argues that there are a too many people for her to cook for. His ability to do this is likely the result of having lived with Chronoa for millions of years.
- Tokitoki seems to be fond of Whis as he is shown perching on Whis' staff in the epilogue of Xenoverse. Interestingly, Whis possesses the ability to rewind time with his Temporal Do-Over and can travel through time using Warp and/or Teleportation.
- In Xenoverse 2, Whis is thrilled to hear that Tokitoki had recently laid an egg and convinced him to spare with Beerus in order to alleviate his anger over Towa's manipulation in order to prevent Beerus from potentially destroying the egg.
- Tokitoki also shows little fear of Beerus despite his reputation and feline appearance.