"Think about it, you and I, joined in one body. We'll have amazing strength."
Union of Rivals (合体!!ベジータの誇りと悟空の怒り Gattai!! Bejīta no Hokori to Goku no Ikari) is the fifteenth episode of the Fusion Saga and the two hundred sixty-eighth overall episode in the original dubbed and the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. The episode first aired on June 28, 1995. Its original American air date was November 7, 2002.
The episode begins with Super Buu giving the newly restored Goku, to the count of 5 to find someone to fuse with. Goku has two choices because Tien has been knocked out by Buu. Goku imagines a fusion with Dende, but Goku realizes that would not be a good idea, because the Earth still needs the Dragon Balls, and Dende does not have any fighting experience. The other choice is Mr. Satan. Goku imagines the fusion with him and says that Mr. Satan is not a warrior but knows basic martial arts, so he makes the decision to fuse with Him. Just as it appears he is going to throw one of the Potara to Mr. Satan, Goku senses someone's ki; that of Vegeta, who has just arrived. Goku uses his Instant Transmission to go to Vegeta. Fortuneteller Baba becomes shocked that Goku is back on Earth again and Goku tells her that he came back to life with the help of Old Kai and Baba wishes Goku and Vegeta good luck in the battle. Goku tries to talk to him into fusing. But Vegeta refuses, saying that he has crushed Vegeta's pride once again by holding back his Super Saiyan 3 transformation in their battle when Vegeta was under Babidi's control. He also says that he would rather die than fuse with Goku.
Goku keeps trying to talk him into fusing when Super Buu shows up and beats up both Goku and Vegeta. Goku is worried that this is the end of them and the Earth, but Vegeta is being still too proud to accept that he needs Goku's help. Goku then he gives a speech about how Vegeta always says he is a Saiyan Prince and that the two of them are the last survivors of the mighty warrior race. In the speech he says that the Saiyans are gone, and that they can start a new race and have a chance to save another planet from the same fate as their home planet. He then tells Vegeta that Bulma has been killed and Trunks has been absorbed by Super Buu, which angers Vegeta that he has lost his family. Vegeta agrees to the fusion because he wants to avenge his family's death. Just as Super Buu is getting ready for another attack, the two fuse. At the end of the episode, a new fusion character is formed, Vegito.
- Goku senses that Vegeta has returned to Earth and goes to see him.
- Goku and Vegeta fuse together to become the powerful Vegito.
- Goku (Super Saiyan) and Vegeta (Super Saiyan) vs. Super Buu (Gohan absorbed)
Bruce Faulconer tracks
- "Vegeta Powers Up" - During Vegeta's speech to Goku.
Differences from the manga
- While the hypothetical fusion between Goku and Mr. Satan was shown in the manga, the fusion between Goku and Dende was not.
- In the manga, Vegeta reluctantly decides to give in to Goku's plan and puts on the Potara earring just as Super Buu reaches them in order to become Vegito. In the anime, Super Buu does reach them but Vegeta still refuses resulting in both Goku and Vegeta fighting Super Buu together as Super Saiyans. Only after being completely outmatched does Vegeta then put on the Potara earring.
- This is the third episode where Vegeta shows his love for his family, the first time shown in the episode Cell Returns! and the second time in the episode Final Atonement.
- This is the only episode in the Buu saga the Vegeta's Vision theme is played, it plays when Goku tells Vegeta that Super Buu has killed everyone including Bulma.
- Goku and Vegeta become fused at the end of this episode, but are later defused in "The Innards of Buu".