Unknown Enemies (フリーザの秘密兵器! 悪魔のギニュー特戦隊, Furiza no Himitsu Heiki - Akuma no Ginyu Tokusentai) is the twenty-third episode of the Namek Saga and the fifty-eighth overall episode in the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. It first aired on August 22, 1990.
Vegeta vanquishes Zarbon and gains what he believes to be the last Dragon Ball. When Bulma asks Krillin why he gave up the ball so easily Krillin says that it was because if he didn't, Vegeta would have have just killed the two of them and taken the ball anyway. Krillin comments that there might still be a chance that Vegeta won't get his wish if Gohan is able to get a hold of the Dragon Ball first.
Meanwhile, an angered Frieza concludes that Zarbon must have either have been killed by Vegeta or ran away. A soldier informs Frieza that the Ginyu Force are in preparations to head to Namek and then is killed when Frieza says that he is no longer needed. On Planet Frieza 79 with the base on red alert, the Ginyu Force enter their space pods and leave directly for Namek.
On King Kai's Planet, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, Chiaotzu and Piccolo continue their training. Suddenly King Kai senses the presence of five evil beings which he notices are the Ginyu Force and explains to the others the destruction that they have caused in the past. Elsewhere in space Goku continues his training in 100G.
On his way to summon the Eternal Dragon, Vegeta senses a Ki which suddenly disappears, Gohan noticing Vegeta's approach hides behind a rock but when Vegeta threatens to destroy the surrounding area, Gohan gives himself up. Vegeta questions the object that Gohan has in his hand who lies by telling him it's a watch. Vegeta feeling in a good mood from believing he had obtained all the Dragon Balls shows some mercy and let's Gohan live but still knees him in the stomach before taking off.
Relieved that Vegeta didn't get a hold of the Dragon Ball, Gohan returns to Krillin and Bulma who then decide to leave the area before Vegeta comes back looking for them. At the Namekian village, Vegeta dives into the water to find the last Dragon Ball only to find that it isn't there. Realising that he had been duped and that Gohan didn't actually have a watch but an object that must track the Dragon Balls location he loses himself to rage and races back to the cave where the Earthlings had previously been only to find that they were long gone.
Having relocated inbetween two rock faces, Krillin decides to take Gohan to see Guru so that he can unleash his hidden power in the same way that was done for him.
- The Ginyu Force head for Namek.
- Gohan returns with Vegeta's stolen Dragon Ball and he, along with Krillin and Bulma relocate.
- Battle Armor
- Capsule Corporation Spaceship
- Gravity Machine
- Dragon Balls
- Frieza's Spaceship
- Attack Ball
- Dragon Radar
Differences from the manga
- In the manga, Frieza is alone when he deduces that Zarbon has either been killed or ran away and that the Ginyu Force will soon appear. In the anime, there are two other soldiers present with Frieza killing one of them after he deems him unnecessary.
- Additionally this scene happened earlier in the anime than in the manga. In the anime it happens four days before the Ginyu Force arrive on Namek but in the manga it happens on the same day they arrive.
- King Kai picking up the evil presence of the Ginyu Force who he explains to his trainees is exclusive to the anime.
- In the Ocean Group dub, Vegeta refers to Bulma as "that gorgeous girl" that Krillin was with. While this is not the original dialogue, it is considered one of the first clues that is an implication of Vegeta and Bulma's eventual relationship.