Tien uses his opponent as a ball and makes them fly with two hits before giving a final blow to stamp them into the ring. Tien uses this attack against Goku in final of the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament. Years later, Gotenks uses this technique while fighting Aka.
Appearances in games
The Volleyball Attack is popular in the Budokai video game series, where two fused characters have it in addition to Tien: Super Buu (with Tien and Yamcha absorbed), and Tiencha. This move also appears in Dragon Ball: Raging Blast as one of Tien's Super Attacks, where it is renamed Open Ball Fist. In Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi, the technique is once again called the Volleyball Attack and is one of Tien's Super Attacks. It can also be obtained (via Tien's training) as one of the Standard Hero's custom Super Attacks. In Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, in addition to being one of Tien's super skills, it is also a Super Skill of Piccolo which is likely a reference to his role in Charging Ultra Buu Buu Volleyball (another Volleyball themed technique) team attack with Gotenks. The Future Warrior can learn the technique as well.
- Wolf Fang Volleyball Fist – The combination of Tien's Volleyball Attack with Yamcha's Wolf Fang Fist. It is Tiencha's ultimate attack in Budokai 2.
- In a Japanese book, it is stated that the attack was named so because Tien often plays volleyball with Chiaotzu.
- It is one of two volleyball themed attacks in the series the other being Gotenks' Charging Ultra Buu Buu Volleyball team attack with Piccolo.
- ↑ Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, 2015
- ↑ Dragon Ball: Xenoverse, Future Warrior: Male Voice Option 8
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2, 2003
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi, 2011
- ↑ "Jump Heroes collection, Tenshinhan Character Collection 11, Chapter 1" DRAGON BALL Character Ekisaitingugaido Shueisha, March 4, 2009